Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Squidlips
barnacle

Re: The Carroll Question Thread

Post by Squidlips » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:27 pm

Technique is everything and NC brings some decent knowlege, some say wisdom to this forum. I'll be sorry to see NC go and in the light of this somewhat sad event one departing question must be asked:

To scrunch or fold :?:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:43 pm

Coops@DY wrote:
Braithy wrote:Nick, have you ever seen a naked man before?

Would you like to?

Do you like it when the dog jumps on your leg?
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:41 pm

Looks like we will need a barbie sometime in Oct/Nov before he leaves since he actually turns up to them.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:11 pm

mical wrote:1. Best piece of advice you've ever been given?
I really don't have an answer to that. I could deliver a glib, snappy one, but it'd be a lie. Generally I view advice with suspicion, whether it be mine or someone else's. My Dad's been my best guide, but he never tells me what to do, just sorta drops hints.
mical wrote:2. Greatest surfing memory?
Oh Christ. Umm, this would be different depending on the day but I think right now as of this moment, the memory closest to the surface for some reason is the afternoon of Christmas Day 1989 at Waimea Bay. That morning it was 15-18' and Titus Kinimaka had suffered a compound fracture of the right femur after being hit by the lip while at the base of a very sucky set wave. Six or eight of us kept Titus afloat and as comfortable as possible, preventing him from being drawn either into the shorebreak or across to the left on the wrong side, while the lifeguards organised the helicopter. It unfortunately was preoccupied with a fire on the east side so it took about 45 minutes to get there. Darrick Doerner saved the day that morning; he kept everyone calm and relaxed in a very stressful situation, Titus's bone was exposed and if we'd been picked off by a wave, he'd probably have cut his femur on it and died.

Anyway off he went to hospital and that arvo the swell picked up to 20-25', perfect conditions, and TC, Mike Newling, Doerner and I along with six or seven others surfed it almost till dark, fcuken unbelievable. Then went to the Turtle Bay Hilton for the Christmas Day buffet.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:13 pm

Hatchman wrote:3) Can you rank in order the best places you think are to surf in Australia
- Angourie
- Desert West Oz
- South Coast NSW
- Western Vicco
- Nth Bches/southern Central Coast NSW

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:14 pm

Toby wrote:4) You contributed some awfully good content to this forum. Do you plan on maintaining an online presence* and if so, where?

* interactive or otherwise
Yes, but I'm not sure in what form exactly.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:15 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:5 :arrow: how long do u prefer boil a egg :?:
I don't like boiled eggs.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:17 pm

tomtom wrote:Hi nick, first time caller, long time listener.

Just wanted to ask what slab of beer should I buy today?

Has to be under $50. And available at liquorland.
Don't buy beer by the slab, it's a foolish commitment and you're playing into the hands of the grocery conglomerates. You think you're saving money but you're really just wasting it. Buy a six pack of Peroni or Asahi Dry.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:19 pm

marcus wrote:Gday Nick
what would it take to get you to change your mind about leaving the forum?
A colossal amount of money. But I wouldn't enjoy it.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:24 pm

mical wrote:Q. Why stop posting here?
It just feels right. I began contributing because I wanted to open up communications through the forum medium with surfers I might not ever have had the chance to talk with otherwise. It felt new and interesting at the time and I've really enjoyed the process. But for whatever reason, for me, the RS forum form seems to have run its course and it's time to find some other way of achieving a similar end.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:26 pm

Coops@DY wrote:What is the length of your penis?
I'm not sure, but erect, pretty normal I suspect. Maybe 7-8 inches?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:26 pm

oldman wrote:Ditto (to marcus' comment)

Why 6000?
Ah shit, I think it's just habit -- I need a deadline.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:27 pm

jimmy1501 wrote:
Coops@DY wrote:What is the length of your penis?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Skivvy Dick or Angry Anderson money box?
I don't know what this means. One more post down though.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:32 pm

TMC wrote:Nicky why do people seem to put you on a pedastal? Surely there are people out there with a similar knowlege of surfing and an equally affable personality.
I don't know. I hope they just respect the time and energy I've put into the whole thing.
TMC wrote:also:

I have previously got into trouble for propositioning people's daughters on here before but seeing as this is my last chance I figure I would give it a shot. Your daughter and I are of similar age, is she single?

If yes, does she like tall, skinny guys who play non contact sports reasonably well and post on internet forums frequented by predominantly middle aged men who talk openly about pooing and masturbation?
I'm not answering questions about my family.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:37 pm

Womble wrote:Hi Nick ... hows things going down Newport way? ... is little Tommy still dropping in and snaking? ... speaking of TC ... has he still got the shits with one of Big Simons little bro's for piddling on his leg at a party some time back? ... how many posts to go before you leave? ... two hundred and thirty two ... does that sound correct? ... are you going to fritter them away on silly questions? ... or are you going to use them wisely? ... will you miss realsurf? ... will realsurf miss you? ... anyway big fella ... gotta say I love your work and things wont be the same around here without you ... personally I don't think you should be allowed to leave until you find a worthwhile replacement ... thats not to much to ask ... is it ... :?:

PS ... NO NOT ROY ... :shock:
Newport seems just fine. Tom is still catching a lot of waves but the drop-in quota seems to have gone down a bit. I don't know if Tom has the shits with anyone and if he did then I doubt it'd be with one of Simon's little brothers, since Simon is the youngest child in his family. I haven't counted them again yet. I am answering any question I can; it's up to everyone else to ask them, stupid or otherwise. I will miss Realsurf. I don't know if Realsurf will miss me, but my experience has been that groups tend to move on quickly compared with individuals. I am not employed here and so feel no obligation to recruit any other idiot as a replacement.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:38 pm

beachbanga wrote:Nick... Are you my father?
I very strongly doubt it.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:43 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
mical wrote:Q. Why stop posting here?
But for whatever reason, for me, the RS forum form seems to have run its course and it's time to find some other way of achieving a similar end.
RS forum ?

Thanks for the compliment :wink: :lol: :lol:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:49 pm

daryl wrote:How do you string a sentence together :(
Very quickly. I look first for the reason why I want the sentence to exist. Is it beginning a train of thought? Central to a thought's development? Finishing a paragraph with a snap or flourish? Then I write it, eliminating as much unnecessary crap as possible. I do find writing in a notebook by hand produces a shorter, better, more clipped off style, while using a keyboard causes one to babble a bit. Often after a sentence is finished, I'll see all sorts of things I think are wrong with it. I don't sweat over these things -- just hack 'em without mercy. I am happy to make grammatical errors if I think the balance or "sound" of a sentence is improved by said error, but I have to say this rarely occurs; grammar actually works. I do think a writer gives a lot away with the sentence; Virginia Woolf said she thought most good writers write the same sentence over and over again, and the sentence is the best indicator of style. She was a most intelligent person I think.