Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Hollowed out
regular

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Hollowed out » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:15 pm

Nick i found this on Stab
http://stabmag.com/paul-fisher-and-phallic-fibreglass/
don't wish to drag up the issues re design/testing but this just shows that even a board made as a total joke actually rips and at a level well beyond your most surfers ability in small semi junk surf.
It simply confirms what a lot of punters are thinking…what relevance to a non pro is a board test in near perfect surf riding highly tuned boards by expert/pro surfers.

Don't know what the answer is but sure doubt the current testing model is valid to 90% of punters.

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:47 pm

It is useful as entertainment. It's a surfing magazine not a court document. You gumby's need to chill out. Like most things regarding surfing, it's subjective.
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

Little
regular

Post by Little » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:14 pm

Nick, have you ever surfed crosswaves reef at Newport or know anyone that has. it often looks pretty good but I can't remember ever seeing anyone out there.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:19 pm

I've had some fun surfs at cross waves in the right swell. Haven't surfed it for a long time though.

Hollowed out
regular

Post by Hollowed out » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:01 pm

andy2476 wrote:It is useful as entertainment. It's a surfing magazine not a court document. You gumby's need to chill out. Like most things regarding surfing, it's subjective.
ok fair point but just trying to raise it in the hope that some smart bastard can think of a way to help work out (with subjectivity in mind) what will best suit at an individuals own level and in the type of waves they mostly surf.
Maybe a five stage rating of your ability from learning to do basic turns through to fine tuning performance could then be referenced to the main design features that those levels should look at as a priority :-?
Nick has the experience and thats really why I am asking. No criticism, just throwing out how fcuking confusing the whole design thing is, which is what that Stab clip and the opinions expressed seem to highlight.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:10 pm

Little wrote:Nick, have you ever surfed crosswaves reef at Newport or know anyone that has. it often looks pretty good but I can't remember ever seeing anyone out there.
Little, as a grommet I spent many fun hours out at the Path (for that is what we local custodians call it) mucking around in leftover Ne windswells after late southerly changes in summer. You'd get barrels sometimes and play around with the backwash. The place is a long term part of local surfing folklore. These days a few SUPs and some groms can be found out there on those sorts of days.

DucksNuts
regular

Post by DucksNuts » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:30 pm

Nick would you like to come surf waves with me tomorrow? I believe the conditions are particularly promising and will be suited to some hot riding and shooting the curl

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:26 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:54 am

DucksNuts wrote:Nick would you like to come surf waves with me tomorrow? I believe the conditions are particularly promising and will be suited to some hot riding and shooting the curl

Please don't rape our Nick!
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:56 am

DucksNuts wrote:Nick would you like to come surf waves with me tomorrow? I believe the conditions are particularly promising and will be suited to some hot riding and shooting the curl
I think not old chap. I am still recovering from surgery, and in any case, I fear I may not be the sort of surfing companion you seek. I am surly, hostile, easily bored and not given to jollity.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:03 am

Hollowed out wrote:
andy2476 wrote:It is useful as entertainment. It's a surfing magazine not a court document. You gumby's need to chill out. Like most things regarding surfing, it's subjective.
ok fair point but just trying to raise it in the hope that some smart bastard can think of a way to help work out (with subjectivity in mind) what will best suit at an individuals own level and in the type of waves they mostly surf.
Maybe a five stage rating of your ability from learning to do basic turns through to fine tuning performance could then be referenced to the main design features that those levels should look at as a priority :-?
Nick has the experience and thats really why I am asking. No criticism, just throwing out how fcuking confusing the whole design thing is, which is what that Stab clip and the opinions expressed seem to highlight.
You're over thinking it, try a few boards and you'll get some idea of what works for you.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:04 am

I'll give you in to jollity. You know I will.

I'd wear you down with humorous one liners and observations in between whistling choruses of famous songs from yesteryear.

You'll have a smile the size of a watermelon when you return back to the beach.
Kunji wrote:

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:43 am

braith's last surfing companion was Charlotte Dawson
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:55 am

andy2476 wrote:braith's last surfing companion was Charlotte Dawson

Troll much?
Kunji wrote:

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:32 am

Beerfan wrote:
Hollowed out wrote:
You're over thinking it, try a few boards and you'll get some idea of what works for you.

I think if the board test is testing only boards that are suitable for the top x% of surfers, then as a test it isnt much use to most people (other than 'this guy makes a great high performance board so potentially he will make one that suits you as well'). Knowing that Renault make great F1 engines doesnt help me choose a city runabout.

But if the boards are suitable for, say, a solid intermediate, then just because a top surfer can do more on the board doesnt make it a bad board for someone else. Its still a good board.

What might be useful is a test of boards designed for an intermediate surfer, but perhaps done by an expert surfer. With the understanding that the board wont 'rip and etc' as much as the high perf boards, but someone who can say whether its a good board in terms of design and construction and all the rest.

On another topic, Nick, are there any (professional) female shapers in Australia? Googling came up with 3 or 4 (only) in California. Any ideas why so few? I realise its a small and hard profession at the best of times but you would expect a few.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:54 am

^^ctd I don't think there's any full time female shapers in Australia.

There's a woman who glasses surfboards in Qld, calls herself the Lady of Many Colours, she's an expert in the modern trend of variable resin tinting, much sought after as I understand it.

Why no female shapers? Well jeez, that's pretty obvious. Apart from anything else I reckon women may be smarter than men and thus tend to avoid such things. But the profession is entirely dominated by masculinity at every turn, there's no welcome mat out even for new male shapers, no trade route, nothing. Why are there no women on this site, for example? I suggest it's because it's a male conversation and there's no way in, or at least most women would perceive it that way.

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:56 pm

saltman wrote:
Natho wrote:I've had some fun surfs at cross waves in the right swell. Haven't surfed it for a long time though.
Like wise used to wait for the southerly busters as a grom and run around from Bungan :-D-: it can be great or a mere novelty , snapped a board there many years ago
I've had some great waves out there. I've had some crap waves out there.
the tools of the trade are the head and the heart - mission of burma

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:18 pm

I've had a handfull of good surfs out the path. I lost count how many crappy surfs I've had out there. all in hindsight though . at the time at a much younger age it was always a bit of an adventure.

a bit like making the trek to butterbox
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy