Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

rmb
barnacle

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by rmb » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:33 pm

Nick sorry if you don't find sharks funny anyhow do you think the WA shark baiting program is to try and attract shit scared euro tourist? Are pro surfer's over paid as it is a lifestyle job like footballers etc?

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:48 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Karlos wrote:Back off Beany, I've already put my hand up for that role. I'm expecting a PM sometime soon.

NC, do not write-off the differing abilities thing. Stick with it & make it work. It might even shut Shearer up once & for all. Like I said, I'm waiting on the call-up.
Yeah well next time round we're gonna ask one of the shapers along, that might be a bit of a wildcard.
good idea
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:57 pm

Braithy wrote:So the op went as well as you coulda hoped for?

Good stuff. Let's celebrate with a downwind paddle.
trust me, you don't want that

I'll bring some sort of terrible craft up to the contest and see how things pan out.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:01 pm

rmb wrote:Nick sorry if you don't find sharks funny anyhow do you think the WA shark baiting program is to try and attract shit scared euro tourist? Are pro surfer's over paid as it is a lifestyle job like footballers etc?
you're so drunk. No I don't think the WA shark program is a tourism ad in disguise. I do not know if pro surfers are overpaid -- they're paid purely on the basis of supply and demand so perhaps it is perfect capitalism.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:08 pm

Surprisingly i am not just seriously bored sorry about the shit question's. I think the shark culling is due to people avoiding WA's beach's out of fear from bad publicity due to the attack. WA has amazing beaches but if tourist's are afraid to swim they will go elsewhere it's no open for business sign but more of removing a scary problem to improve tourist number's over time.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:43 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
Lucky Al wrote:that sounds like fun rmb, i might try asking nick a question after every beer too.

nick, remember tom and ross in mad wax? if in this script we're working on the mutilated corpse of one of the top five guys is found under a bush on burleigh head just after the quiksilver pro and a couple of detectives are sent to follow the tour and find out who killed him, do you think tom and ross could play the detectives?
Oh God yes. Al you're a fcuken genius. I mean we have all known it for a while but here is incontrovertible proof. Tom and Ross as detectives! Fantastic. Tom the seemingly dumb one who is given to unimaginable flashes of insight, Ross the super smart one who is constantly annoyed by his partner's airy fairyness but relies on him for that spooky insight. Yes.

What kinda car would they drive? A yank muscle car like Starskey and Hutch. A 308 Ferrari Magnum PI style. Or a classic like the Leyland P76?

Would you be Huggy Bear?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:44 am

Well if that's the case it's a pretty dumb move since everyone outside WA thinks the shark cull is a shit idea.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:47 am

BA wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:
Lucky Al wrote:that sounds like fun rmb, i might try asking nick a question after every beer too.

nick, remember tom and ross in mad wax? if in this script we're working on the mutilated corpse of one of the top five guys is found under a bush on burleigh head just after the quiksilver pro and a couple of detectives are sent to follow the tour and find out who killed him, do you think tom and ross could play the detectives?
Oh God yes. Al you're a fcuken genius. I mean we have all known it for a while but here is incontrovertible proof. Tom and Ross as detectives! Fantastic. Tom the seemingly dumb one who is given to unimaginable flashes of insight, Ross the super smart one who is constantly annoyed by his partner's airy fairyness but relies on him for that spooky insight. Yes.

What kinda car would they drive? A yank muscle car like Starskey and Hutch. A 308 Ferrari Magnum PI style. Or a classic like the Leyland P76?

Would you be Huggy Bear?
The Ferrari.

I'd play the killer - a parent of a young girl pro who was date raped by Gary.

bomboraa
regular

Post by bomboraa » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:11 am

Nick ever ridden a twinzer? If so, verdict, memories? They still seem very popular in Seppoland.

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:31 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
Lucky Al wrote: Oh God yes. Al you're a fcuken genius. I mean we have all known it for a while but here is incontrovertible proof. Tom and Ross as detectives! Fantastic. Tom the seemingly dumb one who is given to unimaginable flashes of insight, Ross the super smart one who is constantly annoyed by his partner's airy fairyness but relies on him for that spooky insight. Yes.
I can see that working.

Scene 1. Tom and Ross are trying to get the address the suspect is hiding at from a potential informer. He says "I can't tell you, I promised wouldn't say anything" Tom hands him a piece of paper and pen "You don't have to say anything, write it down" Everyone looks at Tom incredulous - they're thinking is this guy a genius or an idiot.

Scene 2. First light in a Brisbane suburb. Tom and Ross and a squad of heavily armed SWAT types are surrounding a house in a complex but perfectly coordinated series of moves. Silently Tom and Ross approach the front. Tom checks his watch and nods to Ross who kicks the door in.

Cut to bedroom interior. The suspect sits bolt upright in bed. He scrambles to the door and peeks into the hall. Cut to his front door - intact. Suspect runs to window and peeks out the curtains. Cut to SWAT guys swarming over house next door. Cut to suspect vaulting the back fence of his house. Cut to SWAT guys arguing with suspect's neighbour. Cut to Tom and Ross examining the paper the informer wrote on. Tom looks at Ross "Is that a three or a five?"

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:05 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:I'd play the killer - a parent of a young girl pro who was date raped by Gary.
You'd far better suited as the commissioner of police ... constantly berating the seemingly hapless detectives.

Can't see them in a Ferrari ... an old Mercedes maybe ... or a VW beetle.

Have you managed to squeeze Sultry Fists-Gibbons into the plot line yet ?
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:12 pm

When reading anything to do with board performance the term "release" comes up all the time.
I used to know a bit about board design and performance lingo in bygone single fin days, but I don't remember that term being bandied about. So what's it mean?

Secondly, my wife is doing a Coastrek fundraising walk next Saturday, starting Palm Beach early, then finishing in Balmoral. I'm supposed to be the support vehicle driver for her group but I'm taking a board. Presumably there's waves at Palm Beach?
Never been on the North side of Sydney. I'd rather get in early before anyone screams for a bandaid.
If not Palm Beach, where else up the North end?
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:00 pm

(Gently) pinhead don't quit your day job

Womble your fixation with the vision of Sultry worries me, sort of a weird Jessica Rabbit thing going on here, it's not working for me - yet

mentone "release" in board design/performance has two meanings, quite separate really, depending on the context:

1 describes the way in which the board lets go of water from inside its rocker and outline. Ie water comes in at points a, b, c etc etc and then leaves via points d, e, f etc. release is affected by lots of things, bottom shape, curves in the outline or rocker, rail shape, tail outline, fins blah blah blah

2 refers to the board's willingness to let go in a turn and slide under control to a recovery point, ie controlled release.

I dunno what the surfs going to be like next Saturday, I bet it rains if there's some big walk happening, yeah there is surf at Palm Beach, various sandbars and rip bowls up and down, the north end is protected from NNE winds and the south end is heavily protected from any wind in the Sth quarter. High tide is around 7am, have fun.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:02 pm

bomboraa wrote:Nick ever ridden a twinzer? If so, verdict, memories? They still seem very popular in Seppoland.
Bloody oath, I had one in CA made by Will Jobson himself, I thought it was super fun and like an advanced twinfin. I think it sorta went away again then has come back strongly in these variegated surfboard climes.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:24 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Womble your fixation with the vision of Sultry worries me
Worries you ? ... imagine how I feel ... let alone my poor mother (bless her little cotton socks).

I've changed my mind on the car too ... I'm just not feeling it (and thank god you're not feeling Sultry either).

An older model citroen would be just the ticket for those two whacky cops ...

The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:27 pm

Nick Carroll wrote: I bet it rains if there's some big walk happening, .
No you're getting confused with ANZAC day.
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:40 pm

i was thinking there would be many suspects - the victim's rivals on the wct, his wife, a groupie, a fan, a judge, a surf journo, a commentator, a female pro surfer's father, a pusher, a shaper - and the 12-part or 20-part series would take us from event to event as tom and ross attempted to deduce from clues and false clues uncovered along the way the killer's true identity and motivations. they would travel on a shoestring courtesy of the australian taxpayer and at each location have to get around by shitty hire car (often pooling with lower-ranked wct guys and surf journos) ensuring that prematurely cut-off car chases occur as commonly as twists in the plot. i also have an idea that ross could pull off a fair columbo sort of look and manner while tom would be much more physically able and better dressed than his partner but at a deeper level also more emotionally fragile and confused.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:49 pm

And there'll be none of this tucking of ears into caps. Nick ... you may have to have a quite word to Tom and Ross about that. Shoestring budget cops wear their ears on the outside ... its acoustically superior too.