Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:46 pm

The Mighty Sunbird wrote:And what's this purps stuff? I like it already.
Purps is a CA based "healthy" energy food and drink range, designed to go up against all those absolutely fcuken dreadful hyper-hyper drinks with products that don't contain caffeine or very much sugar.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:24 pm

Well that is disappointing
Erase.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:26 pm

Nick did Kelly go with the Kering group due to environmental and workers rights credentials?
In the realm of free surfing does anyone compare to Wayne Lynch?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:52 pm

rmb wrote:Nick did Kelly go with the Kering group due to environmental and workers rights credentials?
Oh yes I think Kelly's business choices are heavily influenced by his ethics, he really wants to do the right thing as he sees it in the world.

I do not really get the whole idea of "free surfing", to me this is something done by everyone and no one, it feels like a marketing fantasy label, but in the era pre-surf-industry lifestyle sponsorship, where some people reached a crazy level of skill off their own bat, Wayne would have to be up there. However there are a shit load of other great surfers in the same boat and you would have to ignore Wayne's four consecutive Australian junior titles (1967-1970) and his numerous other pro surfing performances to call him a free surfer. some others worth considering here would be Buttons, Mickey Dora, Gerry, Col Smith, Barry Kanaiaupuni, George Greenough, and Larry Bertlemann. heaps more though.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:00 pm

Kelly is trying to set an example i hope.
Freesurfers as a commodity could be Rasta, Craig Anderson etc I guess the true form would be the person who goes to indo etc to never be seen again.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:01 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
rmb wrote:Nick did Kelly go with the Kering group due to environmental and workers rights credentials?
Oh yes I think Kelly's business choices are heavily influenced by his ethics, he really wants to do the right thing as he sees it in the world.

Ethics?, while making a few hundred million selling clothes and firewires? Haha that's a good one, I wonder if the little Bangladeshi kids making those clothes feel good about his ethics

I do not really get the whole idea of "free surfing", to me this is something done by everyone and no one, it feels like a marketing fantasy label, but in the era pre-surf-industry lifestyle sponsorship, where some people reached a crazy level of skill off their own bat, Wayne would have to be up there. However there are a shit load of other great surfers in the same boat and you would have to ignore Wayne's four consecutive Australian junior titles (1967-1970) and his numerous other pro surfing performances to call him a free surfer. some others worth considering here would be Buttons, Mickey Dora, Gerry, Col Smith, Barry Kanaiaupuni, George Greenough, and Larry Bertlemann. heaps more though.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:02 am

beerfan do you know something I don't about the Outerknown supply and manufacturing chain?

Part of KS leaving Quik was to do with a dispute around how Quik was handling their Indian cotton sourcing and a seeming partnership with operations there related to Monsanto.

Both Kelly and Kering have laid it v clearly on the line re ethical supply and manufacturing processes. If they have gone back on any of that in some way then you should make your knowledge public. If not then maybe you are out of line with that comment.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:12 am

Nick Carroll wrote:

Greenough IMO is the best example of those, a true legend who epitomised the lifestyle.
Col Smith - Narrabeen's or Newcastle's ?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:00 am

Nick Carroll wrote:beerfan do you know something I don't about the Outerknown supply and manufacturing chain?

Part of KS leaving Quik was to do with a dispute around how Quik was handling their Indian cotton sourcing and a seeming partnership with operations there related to Monsanto.

Both Kelly and Kering have laid it v clearly on the line re ethical supply and manufacturing processes. If they have gone back on any of that in some way then you should make your knowledge public. If not then maybe you are out of line with that comment.

Thanks for the clarity nick, it was out of line, apologies to KS. Seemed a bit silly to me that he's left one clothing company to start another one, but as you've pointed out it does look like he has actually thought about doing it in an ethical way.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:12 am

Yeah, I'm a friend of Kelly's and I do think he is focused on doing the right things as he sees it. He is pretty committed to not wasting his capital, financial and otherwise.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:32 pm

Speaking of KS, this question may be old hat but Nick do you know if Kelly still rides a Wizard Sleeve? Did you try one out and what was it like, was it anything like a Nano?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:17 pm

I can't recall which one was the Wizard Sleeve. I'm just not up on these model names. I had a real close look at the 5'11" he rode at Pipe that sorta triggered the mini board craze, it was super normal but just cut down. The 5'6" s he rode right after that around and on tour were very pin nosed little craft with a lot of outline curve, nothing like the Tomo outlines. A lot of the miniboards that were spawned by KS's efforts at the time bore almost no relation to what Kelly was really riding, which were mostly pretty extreme boards, unforgiving and difficult for most other humans. It took four or five years for what he'd started to sorta work through into common use. I doubt v much whether Kelly bothers with those 2009/10 models any more, his boards today seem restrained by comparison.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:26 pm

Now you mention it pretty sure it's the 5'6's Nick, ta for answer. Can only get in customs now, probably to bloody hard to ride for humans.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:11 pm

Nick I have just read over a promotion for surfing with Mark Occhilupo in the Mentawais or Maldives. All of it is a standard sales pitch for the resort except one part caught my attention. "Daily surf sessions hosted by living legend Mark Occhilupo, with tips, points and some great line-up banter."

Line up banter are they serious is Occy really marketed as some jovial joker.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:33 pm

well who knows, I have no thoughts on it whatsoever

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:04 pm

Excellent top of page for this thread.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:36 am

"Line up banter" - friendly conversation or sledging?

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:14 pm

Nick, what are you thoughts on this board and video please.

What you reckon of the boards performance, functionality etc...

https://vimeo.com/131774155#at=2
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable