Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Lucky Al » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:16 pm

Nick, do you think it's at all possible that one of the current top five WCT guys will suffer a fate as ghastly as Palomino Molero's, even in his prime, still with a crack at the Title? What circumstances could lead to such a tragic event?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:37 pm

Surely Palomino is a fictional creation Al. None of the current pro surfing roster are fictional to my knowledge. You'd have to invent somebody. Want to have a crack at it?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:42 pm

You know, like, let's say, Gary Esperanza, son of a Basque butcher and an Australian girl who fell for him in Guernica during a surf trip to Mundaka.

Growing up between northern Spain and his Mum's family home in - oh hell, why not, Thirroul - Gary swiftly developed into a phenomenal surfing talent, the surfing version of Rafael Nadal. Graceful and wise beyond his years, Gary negotiates the path to stardom with finesse and brilliance unseen since the young Slater, whose 23 year reign he swiftly puts to an end after a damaging series of crushing wins from Australia to Trestles. Then...

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:54 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Surely Palomino is a fictional creation Al. None of the current pro surfing roster are fictional to my knowledge. You'd have to invent somebody. Want to have a crack at it?
Oh god ... thats it Nick ... a surfing crime thriller ... get cracking man.

There would have to be a Brazilian national in the mix ... possibly a transexual ... the ambiguous gender allowing them to surf in both the mens and womens events.

Lets call the character ... Sultry Fists-Gibbons.

I'm done ... the creative juices have well and truly dried up ... your on your own from here on.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:06 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:You know, like, let's say, Gary Esperanza, son of a Basque butcher and an Australian girl who fell for him in Guernica during a surf trip to Mundaka.

Growing up between northern Spain and his Mum's family home in - oh hell, why not, Thirroul - Gary swiftly developed into a phenomenal surfing talent, the surfing version of Rafael Nadal. Graceful and wise beyond his years, Gary negotiates the path to stardom with finesse and brilliance unseen since the young Slater, whose 23 year reign he swiftly puts to an end after a damaging series of crushing wins from Australia to Trestles. Then...
He hooks up with a few ex pro's and spends two yrs on a couch...oh wait...
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:18 pm

Nick if considering burleying up a few spots for some blood sport when conditions are looking good how many litres would you recommend and what ingredients would be best to attract some nice big white pointers. How long before the weekend should I start my burley trail. PS how long would it take to repair the shark nets at snapper if they were destroyed around the 1st of March and who out of the top 34 would be the most entertaining to watch get attacked.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:57 pm

Gracias for the first four board suggestions NC. I can't get my head around that Tomo shape but watching the video has got me thinking. Wish I could try one out.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:27 pm

OK mate, I am thinking carefully about the fifth one.

Maybe FW will have some demo days or something.

rmb I'm not in favour of talking about shark attacks like that.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:37 pm

Nick after every beer I finish tonight I am going to ask you a question the last one was before I had a beer so the bar hasn't been set very high but we will see how we go. So after one beer my question is on groupies on the WCT is there an unwritten rule of what happen's on the trip stay's on the trip. Are the journo's hanging to the side waiting for the scrap's that the married pro's reject.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:07 pm

Nick do you think Trev's ultimatum to TomTom was a little heavy-handed? I find TomTom amusing he is just a misunderstood. Anyway this question after every beer was a bad idea I will be asking shit question's for the sake of asking them much like this thread so I will just leave it.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:11 pm

that sounds like fun rmb, i might try asking nick a question after every beer too.

nick, remember tom and ross in mad wax? if in this script we're working on the mutilated corpse of one of the top five guys is found under a bush on burleigh head just after the quiksilver pro and a couple of detectives are sent to follow the tour and find out who killed him, do you think tom and ross could play the detectives?

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:15 pm

Lucky Al wrote:that sounds like fun rmb, i might try asking nick a question after every beer too.

nick, remember tom and ross in mad wax? if in this script we're working on the mutilated corpse of one of the top five guys is found under a bush on burleigh head just after the quiksilver pro and a couple of detectives are sent to follow the tour and find out who killed him, do you think tom and ross could play the detectives?
They would make great detective's I might have a few more and come back it was a fun idea but I have nothing to ask at the moment.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:01 pm

What'd you have for dinner tonight?
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:01 pm

rmb wrote:Nick after every beer I finish tonight I am going to ask you a question the last one was before I had a beer so the bar hasn't been set very high but we will see how we go. So after one beer my question is on groupies on the WCT is there an unwritten rule of what happen's on the trip stay's on the trip. Are the journo's hanging to the side waiting for the scrap's that the married pro's reject.
OK groupies, I'd rather that than sharks, seeing as how seven Australians including six surfers have been killed by sharks in the past two years I find that a subject not worthy of jokes. But groupies! crikey.

Nah look the whole groupie thing is soooo yesterday in pro surfing, there's probably more of that shit going on in the WQS than the WCT, I have to say I really had a great time with some epic girls back in the day but it was never really in the guise of a journalist, more as a surfer. There's always been a rule re what goes on tour stays on tour and 10-15 years ago the groupie thing was de rigeur for event winners and compadres alike. But yeah the golden years of that shit are past along with the drug use etc.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:03 pm

rmb wrote:Nick do you think Trev's ultimatum to TomTom was a little heavy-handed? I find TomTom amusing he is just a misunderstood. Anyway this question after every beer was a bad idea I will be asking shit question's for the sake of asking them much like this thread so I will just leave it.
Look I dunno who the guy behind tomtom is but all my instincts suggest to me that I couldn't tolerate that little pissant cnut for more than a few seconds in real life, he seems like the sort of person who talks all fiery on the Internet but in real life is about as scary as a domestic pet, so maybe I'm the wrong person to engage in that conversation.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:08 pm

Lucky Al wrote:that sounds like fun rmb, i might try asking nick a question after every beer too.

Oh God yes. Al you're a fcuken genius. I mean we have all known it for a while but here is incontrovertible proof. Tom and Ross as detectives! Fantastic. Tom the seemingly dumb one who is given to unimaginable flashes of insight, Ross the super smart one who is constantly annoyed by his partner's airy fairyness but relies on him for that spooky insight. Yes.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:11 pm

Braithy wrote:What'd you have for dinner tonight?
What WILL I have. Roast tomato soup and a couple of grilled pork sausages. Yes I know it is not oily fish and beetroot. But this is to celebrate the dressings coming off the surgical wounds and me being cleared to enter the water again. Surfing is still a week or two away but I am feeling it.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 pm

So the op went as well as you coulda hoped for?

Good stuff. Let's celebrate with a downwind paddle.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism