Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Davros » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:49 pm

Same same but different, I was wasting a board salesmans time at Onboard and asked him if anyone orders any pro dims, I expected him to say nup no way, but he said a stack of Japanese guys order the CI models in Slater and Reynolds dims and they just pull out the electronic dims and whack it through the machine. Head shake.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:38 pm

Nick are you going to watch the Niggaz With Attitude biopic "Straight Outta Compton"? I am planning to watch it at some stage as like or hate the genre the story interests me due to the impact they had on youth culture especially in urban America at the time and the backlash received will be interesting. But the biographical movie I was looking forward to is the one John Singleton walked away from on Tupac Shakur I hope it doesn't become some wishy washy doco that avoids the nitty gritty of who Tupac was.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:21 pm

Legion wrote:Kinda the same way we at realsurf view you, loofy.

I'll leave it at that.
Thanks legend.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:43 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
chrisb wrote:Interesting comments about Greg Noll. I've never met the guy but based on his media appearances he comes across as a really amiable and likeable sort of fellow. The sort of guy you that could buy a used car from. Seems like he has had the same effect on you Nick.
Oh yeah! You can't not like Da Bull.
Definitely always struck me as the sort of guy who would sell you a used car as well. Classic California Surf Hukster.....pretty much the backbone of surfing culture.

I had a Softtop for a little while to try and nab the odd one in the flags but it was a dog....my old waterlogged MacT was infinitely better to ride.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:49 pm

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:10 am

rmb wrote:Nick are you going to watch the Niggaz With Attitude biopic "Straight Outta Compton"? I am planning to watch it at some stage as like or hate the genre the story interests me due to the impact they had on youth culture especially in urban America at the time and the backlash received will be interesting. But the biographical movie I was looking forward to is the one John Singleton walked away from on Tupac Shakur I hope it doesn't become some wishy washy doco that avoids the nitty gritty of who Tupac was.
Yeah I probably will, it was v interesting being in the US when that stuff went mainstream and all these skinny well-off white boys were driving along with Snoop Dogg blasting out of their cars.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:11 am

Legion wrote:What about the Tom Carroll soft boards - they're supposed to go alright. Little bro ever let you have a go on his, Nick?
Fcuk no!

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:23 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
rmb wrote:Nick are you going to watch the Niggaz With Attitude biopic "Straight Outta Compton"? I am planning to watch it at some stage as like or hate the genre the story interests me due to the impact they had on youth culture especially in urban America at the time and the backlash received will be interesting. But the biographical movie I was looking forward to is the one John Singleton walked away from on Tupac Shakur I hope it doesn't become some wishy washy doco that avoids the nitty gritty of who Tupac was.
Yeah I probably will, it was v interesting being in the US when that stuff went mainstream and all these skinny well-off white boys were driving along with Snoop Dogg blasting out of their cars.
Pretty funny, I find the more interesting aspect how the genre evolved and those who started as grassroots artists/performers telling stories about the realities of downtrodden communities metamorphosed into industry producers, actors and businessmen. The likes of Ice T in law and order ironically once sang about being a cop killa.
Anyhow Nick when it comes to politics in music what genre leads the way? I suppose Vietnam era rock would be largely influential prior to your generation compared to rap and afro americans in the 90's. Now days popular music is just crap why can't MIley Sirus or whoever else is on the charts over step the mark and speak on issues highly controversial?

Slobadan Madicubich
Harry the Hat

Post by Slobadan Madicubich » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:52 pm

With One Direction falling apart do you think Seven Seconds Of Summer are ready to become the greatest band in the world?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:20 pm

Ah I don't know why pop music should be expected to be politically charged. Issue music is super tedious. Pop and rock music gets a bit inadvertently political when it somehow stumbles into becoming the voice of a mass, but you could say that of "Friday On My Mind" - it's got nothing to do with some cause, but it's conveying a generational mood and in a way forecasting what's to come. In the US, folk and country music and blues have always carried a political sting because of who's represented by the music, but the songs aren't always about particular issues, more about the state of things for someone. It's bloody rare when a song about a specific political cause also manages to be super entertaining, Warumpi Band's "Treaty" is an example.

It just feels like a huge subject rmb, too big for here.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:29 pm

In regards to Warumpi band who came from the Territory have you heard of or listened to the music of Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu from Arnhem Land?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:34 pm

There ya go.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:38 pm

Also the most frequently played song ever on triple j (treaty).

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:42 pm

I gather you are not a Midnight Oil fan, Nick.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:30 pm

well I am but next to Yothuyindi and Warumpi they sound like what they were, a bunch of middle class white boys getting angry about stuff that was mostly other people's problems.

Their politics weren't as powerful as Jim Moginie's guitar sound and Hirst's drumming.

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:45 pm

I was so drunk, I fell asleep in a W-bin at the Antler during one of their gigs.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:52 pm

I'll take take Back on the Boarderline over Jailamguru Pakarnu any day even if they are Linfield toffs (thats Midnight Oil I'm referring to there)

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:20 am

ajohnsen wrote:I was so drunk, I fell asleep in a W-bin at the Antler during one of their gigs.
:-D-: :-D-: :-D-:

Ah, memories. Funny how they preached peace at their gigs but they mostly got drunks and fights.

My MO favourites are also their pre-political ones from Head Injuries such as Cold Cold Change.