Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: Butts, beach_defender, Shari, collnarra, Forum Moderators

alakaboo
Duke Status

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by alakaboo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:20 pm

I lol'd godsave.

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:19 am

Well after last nights test performance - all out for 60- the answer is clear that Clarke should have already retired.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:44 am

rmb wrote:On a more serious note Nick what are your thoughts on responsible drinking, how much is too much and the damaging effects of alcohol? I have found myself getting to a point where enough is enough and I don't get the enjoyment of having a couple of beers and require more and more which results in me occasionally getting reasonably intoxicated and suffering the consequences the next day in being in a depressive mood and anxious. This usually takes a day and a bit to get over. I don't drink everyday and binge maybe once occasionally twice a week where most the time I stick to a couple of drinks but it occasionally creeps up usually on weekends. I am typing this here not as some sort of pity me question but part of some personal therapy becoming more open about my own personal journey and thought it would be a good topic for conversation. Oh and I am not suffering a hangover now and am feeling pretty positive about it all.
I think it hard to gauge "responsible drinking" in the Australian context, drinking seems to me to be a sort of national blind spot; lots of people struggle with the idea that some other people don't drink at all. My little brother is teetotal these days and he reckons people sometimes literally try to force him to drink at social occasions. When he says no, I don't drink, they just say Oh well I'll get you a beer instead.

I get the sense that you have your own idea about what works for you and that you're a bit suss of the role drinking is playing in your life. That feeling of anxiety and slight depression is something you should really pay attention to; drinking, like any drug use, can lead to a range of mental impairments and illnesses, and you really don't want that shit in your life.

There's a lot of good reading on the subject of alcohol use and abuse. I suggest you do a bit of reading on it and try to gain more of a sense of where you fit in the alcohol dependence spectrum, that will help you think about what you want to do about it. One thing I do know and can tell you directly is that you don't need to drink any alcohol at all in order to be a functioning happy adult. It's not necessary. If it FEELS necessary, it might be a problem.

Legion
Duke Status

Post by Legion » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:59 am

Nick Carroll wrote:My little brother is teetotal these days and he reckons people sometimes literally try to force him to drink at social occasions. When he says no, I don't drink, they just say Oh well I'll get you a beer instead.
Some of the same people tried to offer it to me for at least a decade after I stopped. They just could not get the concept into their head. Others, good friends, got super aggressive at times. I remember a bucks where one mate was ready to punch me because I wouldn't drink shots with them. You are also expected to chip in for ridiculous bar tabs at times, which pisses me off. Like why should I chip in $1-200 to subsidise your night of top-shelf booze when I'm having a couple of soft drinks?

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:01 am

Speaking as a 'mature' aged surfer, I'm finding that tv advertisement where the smiling older bloke who drops a few Panadol after having a surf with a few groms (who naturally snake all the old blokes waves) becoming a tempting proposition. Being of a similar vintage, would you partake or recommend pain relief before/ after surfing or just give it up as an example of the biomechanics of TMB?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:02 am

godsavethequeen wrote:Nick, I've had another brainwave. With Jarrad Howse having described Surf Snowdonia as "awesome for board testing" and an increasingly cynical readership growing ever wearier of Surfing Life's advertiser-fuelled jollies to the Telos, what better way to rediscover some authenticity and to reconnect with the board buying public than to relocate the test to the drizzle of North Wales? You can even stay in a little onsite hovel, eliminating any suggestion of high living. Brilliant eh? I'll ready the pork product leis for your imminent arrival at RAF Valley
I have a better idea god save, we are in the process of setting up this year's fabulous tropical junket, why don't I forward you the dates and you can book in to Telo Island Lodge for a week or so (perhaps under an assumed name, I mean nobody is gonna believe you are really called "godsavethequeen") and crack a few awesome rides with me and my team of professional dancing puppets?

Don't tell me you don't want to.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:07 am

aaarating wrote:Speaking as a 'mature' aged surfer, I'm finding that tv advertisement where the smiling older bloke who drops a few Panadol after having a surf with a few groms (who naturally snake all the old blokes waves) becoming a tempting proposition. Being of a similar vintage, would you partake or recommend pain relief before/ after surfing or just give it up as an example of the biomechanics of TMB?
The only thing I might consider down those lines is an anti-inflammatory to reduce pressure from an injury. But if I was in such a state that I needed painkillers in order to surf, I think I would take that as a hint that I was not really fit to surf at that point.

Legion
Duke Status

Post by Legion » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:14 am

Well, over the last few months I've been on 1000mg naproxen + 500mg panadol + 15mg codeine at times with my knee. And it enabled me to get in the water. And the waves sucked, but I still wanted to get wet. The alternative was 2-3 months of no exercise and no surfing.

At other times (immediately pre-second shoulder op springs to mind) I was on 1000mg naproxen while camping at a certain desert location. I couldn't lift my arm above shoulder height but I could surf 6 hours+/day. But I'm a bit stupid.

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:44 pm

Having had a shoulder reconstruct I feel both sympathy and admiration for your rampant stupidity and downright tenacity. I don't know how you faced another shoulder job after the first? Like a knee replacement they reckon you should get em both done at the same time cause you won't go back after the first. Bloody savages those ortho surgeons.

Legion
Duke Status

Post by Legion » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:25 pm

It was just bone grinding. AC joint resection both times. Painful, but lucky as far as shoulders go.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:52 pm

I find some blokes align alcohol consumption with manliness and its prevalence increases with age. It's quite pathetic. I feel mentally and physically weaker about 6 beers in to a session nowadays.
Last edited by Davros on Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

godsavethequeen
Snowy McAllister

Post by godsavethequeen » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:58 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
godsavethequeen wrote:Nick, I've had another brainwave. With Jarrad Howse having described Surf Snowdonia as "awesome for board testing" and an increasingly cynical readership growing ever wearier of Surfing Life's advertiser-fuelled jollies to the Telos, what better way to rediscover some authenticity and to reconnect with the board buying public than to relocate the test to the drizzle of North Wales? You can even stay in a little onsite hovel, eliminating any suggestion of high living. Brilliant eh? I'll ready the pork product leis for your imminent arrival at RAF Valley
I have a better idea god save, we are in the process of setting up this year's fabulous tropical junket, why don't I forward you the dates and you can book in to Telo Island Lodge for a week or so (perhaps under an assumed name, I mean nobody is gonna believe you are really called "godsavethequeen") and crack a few awesome rides with me and my team of professional dancing puppets?

Don't tell me you don't want to.
So let me get this straight. Afforded a once-in-a-generation chance to clean up surfboard testing in the public domain, you instead try to buy me off with an exotic holiday. Have you ever considered a career in FIFA?

The Mighty Sunbird
Duke Status

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:19 pm

:-)(
Erase.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:47 pm

godsavethequeen wrote: So let me get this straight. Afforded a once-in-a-generation chance to clean up surfboard testing in the public domain, you instead try to buy me off with an exotic holiday. Have you ever considered a career in FIFA?
Well I'm not paying for your damned holiday. I'm really just trying to shill for some more business for TIL.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:30 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
rmb wrote:On a more serious note Nick what are your thoughts on responsible drinking, how much is too much and the damaging effects of alcohol? I have found myself getting to a point where enough is enough and I don't get the enjoyment of having a couple of beers and require more and more which results in me occasionally getting reasonably intoxicated and suffering the consequences the next day in being in a depressive mood and anxious. This usually takes a day and a bit to get over. I don't drink everyday and binge maybe once occasionally twice a week where most the time I stick to a couple of drinks but it occasionally creeps up usually on weekends. I am typing this here not as some sort of pity me question but part of some personal therapy becoming more open about my own personal journey and thought it would be a good topic for conversation. Oh and I am not suffering a hangover now and am feeling pretty positive about it all.
I think it hard to gauge "responsible drinking" in the Australian context, drinking seems to me to be a sort of national blind spot; lots of people struggle with the idea that some other people don't drink at all. My little brother is teetotal these days and he reckons people sometimes literally try to force him to drink at social occasions. When he says no, I don't drink, they just say Oh well I'll get you a beer instead.

I get the sense that you have your own idea about what works for you and that you're a bit suss of the role drinking is playing in your life. That feeling of anxiety and slight depression is something you should really pay attention to; drinking, like any drug use, can lead to a range of mental impairments and illnesses, and you really don't want that shit in your life.

There's a lot of good reading on the subject of alcohol use and abuse. I suggest you do a bit of reading on it and try to gain more of a sense of where you fit in the alcohol dependence spectrum, that will help you think about what you want to do about it. One thing I do know and can tell you directly is that you don't need to drink any alcohol at all in order to be a functioning happy adult. It's not necessary. If it FEELS necessary, it might be a problem.
Thanks for the response Nick, Saltman. I think you have hit the nail on the head re my thoughts on where drinking sit's with me and that's where I am finding I enjoy social situations without booze and tend to only drink to kill boredom and occasional loneliness when away for work etc. Pulling the plug on it for a bit thats for sure test the waters and see what it does for me.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:39 pm

rmb wrote:
Thanks for the response Nick, Saltman. I think you have hit the nail on the head re my thoughts on where drinking sit's with me and that's where I am finding I enjoy social situations without booze and tend to only drink to kill boredom and occasional loneliness when away for work etc. Pulling the plug on it for a bit thats for sure test the waters and see what it does for me.
I would invite you to consider, what is the situation behind your boredom and the loneliness, that you have used booze to cover.
Could you work with those issues in another way that would be more beneficial?
You are clearly thinking of some different choices just in these posts.
There is no resolution in the bottom of a bottle, only a postponement of having to face up. :-D-:
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

regular

Post by 8 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:19 pm

Not good to do out of habit or to break boredom, however a good night on the turps now and then can really offer release from a stagnant mindset and gift the odd muted epiphany here and there.

That's my excuse at least.

eel
regular

Post by eel » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:03 am

I remember speaking to a reformed alco about what constitutes an Alcoholic over a recreational drinker, and he said,"If you would like a drink then your recreational, if you NEED a drink then your in Alcoholic territory"

Very simple but makes sense.