Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

gardie
Grommet

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by gardie » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:12 am

So Nick does that session tick both session and your stand out wave

What about a turn that is seared into your mind ?

I remember watching the Billabong desert challenge with Slater talking about a wave in the final that he will never forget

I often wonder if for professionals and the number of perfect waves they experience it becomes a big blur as the years go by

Maybe for a mere mortal like myself those fewer moments of perfection in waves or performance provide stronger memories

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:02 am

Drailed wrote:Do you ever miss livung in the US?
Occasionally. Well I miss the friends I have there.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:10 am

gardie wrote:So Nick does that session tick both session and your stand out wave

What about a turn that is seared into your mind ?

I remember watching the Billabong desert challenge with Slater talking about a wave in the final that he will never forget

I often wonder if for professionals and the number of perfect waves they experience it becomes a big blur as the years go by

Maybe for a mere mortal like myself those fewer moments of perfection in waves or performance provide stronger memories
I dunno, it is not THE stand out wave, it's just one that popped into my head

Memory is an odd thing and not always what it seems, strong memories are tied to strong emotions which help to imprint the neural pattern of the moment - the memory of the memory if you like.

The emotion involved can be a harsh one, like a few of my most "present" memories of surfing are of moments of bad injuries occurring.

I think for a lot of really highly skilled surfers, for sure they would almost forget some amazing sessions, but they often seem to have almost spooky recall of waves and turns etc. That recall allows them to build on their skills while they hunt for the same sensations involved in the ride.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:19 am

bomboraa wrote:Nick can you see any of Julian Wilson's longboarding heritage in his current surfing, any lines on a wave or approach to turns? Or does the equipment, or other factors - what he actually wants to do on a wave now maybe - preclude such a thing?
Ummm I think what is visible in Julian's surfing is just the enormous amount of time he's spent surfing from a very young age. His surfing is ridiculously clean and poised, so much so that it can actually look a bit plain at times, and he is always coming back to a position of poise from which he can launch the next move or whatever. He achieves a lot without being super active on his board. This could well be part of his childhood on longboards, it could also have to do with growing up surfing Noosa a lot, and his body type, and the kind of person he is. There's a lot of stuff at play in anyone's surfing.

bomboraa
regular

Post by bomboraa » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:16 pm

Thanks was just wondering cause a mate wants his boy to start out on a single fin "so he'll have a better style" later in life.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:44 pm

well it won't hurt him to start on a single fin but it wouldn't hurt him to start on a three fin either.

there's a hell of a lot more going on with how style and technique develops in surfing than the kind of board you start out on.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:05 pm

Drailed wrote:Do you ever watch Micks surfing and find it robotic and a bit boring?
I'll jump in with my unsolicited opinion. You hear the robotic comment quite a bit. I think it is really a bit of a compliment.

Firstly, it highlights his technical skill level. But also, it points to another strength. His surfing often lacks the human drama of indecision.

Fanno is a favourite of mine to watch. When I think of him, I often think of his steely, all-seeing gaze looking way down the line. It defines his surfing a bit for me. There are a lot of places to look when you are surfing, particularly when you do a lot of turns, but I reckon no one spends a higher percentage of a high performance ride looking way down the line as Mick.

When you look at the photo below, you know his next bottom turn, top turn combo has been fully specced and uploaded. He's just such an advanced surfer.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:04 pm

And fkkukking Lightning fast. Still prefer to watch parkos smooth rail work.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:34 pm

Yep, Parko is great to watch.

Back to Fanno, you can't say he has a totally cynical comp created style. As he has said many times, his idol is Taylor Knox, who I think only ever won one ASP contest, in Brazil. Mick's style is really based on aesthetic choices. Sure, he has developed that style preference to maximise heat wins.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:43 pm

foamy wrote:
Drailed wrote:
When you look at the photo below, you know his next bottom turn, top turn combo has been fully specced and uploaded. He's just such an advanced surfer.
Far from it!

If you look a little closer, it becomes clear that someone like Mik got in the way of Mick and he is just flabbergasted, just for for a moment!

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:45 pm

deleted
Attachments
FlabberMick.jpg
(57.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by MrMik on Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:48 pm

MrMik wrote:Close look:

Is that: "All dialled in!' or " Where did that kuk come from???"

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:49 pm

Or is it: "Where did these 13 kuks come from? "
Attachments
FlabberMick_big-640x640.jpg
(82.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by MrMik on Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:01 pm

hi nick, hit me up if ya wanna share a cuppucino for our 56th year on this earth.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:31 am

Yeh Mick looks good on those boards they look nice to sharks as well. Fark, sleep well tonight Mick you are one lucky man.

still here
charger

Post by still here » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:56 am

Yes lucky ! Saved by a leg rope !?!!!!!

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:19 am

Lets talk about fin placement ...

The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:12 am

Thats it's tail fin probably 3m at best.