Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

ctd
barnacle

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by ctd » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:20 pm

He sounds like me, except for the fit and good swimmer bit.

As an aficionado of boards for incompetent surfers, whereas Nick probably doesn't pay much attention to them, may I suggest (limiting to the big manufacturers): a 7S (any of them but esp the superfish), a Firewire Addvance (or maybe dominator) or an xf Nugget. Or if you think he needs the ego thing of surfing what others are surfing (so he doesn't feel left out), perhaps a hypto k? (probably the last on my list, but I suppose it might be sellable- I don't really know much about them actually).

These are fairly different boards in outline etc, but all are wide and thick and flat rockered.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:48 am

tbh GSTQ the Weekend Warrior sounds perfect for him. Flattish, generous proportions for easy wave catching, wide tail that doesn't need much ride input to generate a fun ride.
You two could be like brothers then.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:24 am

Ka-pow! Lesson one: insult a man's fishing outfit at your peril
Beanpole wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:06 pm
Why would I wear a mask?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:42 am

I wasn't trying to be a smart arse. I'm sure you could get a WW anywhere you wanted on a wave, but when I felt one up I was surprised how voluminous there were and reckon they would be great option ridden slightly larger for someone who needed some pep from a board. I mean, the name does slightly betray the target market.
btw GSTQ, that beanie is hand knitted wool from the New Forest. If it had Outerknown on it it'd retail for 3 billion Euro.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:49 am

Yeah I know, and it wouldn't be the worst option in the world. But we are NOT going to be the weekend warrior twins and that's the end of it
Beanpole wrote:
Why would I wear a mask?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:58 am

what about if you come to Australia?
I could hire a WW from Coolie and we could be the WW twins.

I'm sure Braithy and ER could come on board and we could be an awesome foursome.

We could take over the world.

For our first media engagement we could get gopro mounted cats on weekend warriors riding the super bank.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:04 am

I'll look into flights and let you know. Just to give you a heads up though, I couldn't decide between the pancho thruster set that I already owned and the plastic biolos set that came with the board so I've got a mix of both sets filling all five boxes. I call it a quster and I'll expect you to do the same
Beanpole wrote:
Why would I wear a mask?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:30 am

well isn't this a box of delights

I'll have you know I am quite the aficionado when it comes to clunky performance restricted surfboards damn it. In fact I'll bet I rode the 7S range before anyone else on Realsurf! So there.

However I feel GSTQ's problem requires a slightly more subtle solution than the mere casting forth of some shittily named "model" from the CI back catalogue.

GSTQ, I imagine your friend is susceptible to some level of self delusion about the whole surfing gig. I also imagine there are one or two shaping "guru" types lurking about the countryside here and there; surfboard makers with reputations and scruffy white bearded charm etc

You need to outsource the problem to one of these fine gentlemen. Make contact with the Guru of your choice, then offer to take your friend to meet this Guru for a one on one surfboard design consultation. The Guru can then bamboozle your friend with all sorts of design babble, tales of 1970s glory etc etc, and "advise" him to get one of the Guru's supposedly hand made custom boards for "intermediate to advanced" surfers.

Two months later he'll have his hands on a genuine collector's item. And if it's 6'8" x 20.5" x 2.6" with a broad nose, flat entry, slight panel vee and round pintail, well then, all will be well.

Little
regular

Post by Little » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:50 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
Little wrote:Nick, why is it that opinionated women on the telly, ( usually aging ex Cleo editors clinging on by the skin of their teeth ) always harp on about body image problems associated with the glamourisation of gorgeous models and actresses but on the other hand, admonish those who hand it out to hideously obese "celebrities" like Magda Zsubanski and that other big unit ( from some morning panel show ) often calling them beautiful or "comfortable with their bodies". For fcuks sake, if you're going to have an eating disorder I know which one I would choose ( results based ). Lisa Wilkinson is a prime example. She's had so much botox she can't even blink properly anymore and she thinks she has a right to bang on about body issues?

p.s. Don't you think Karl Stefanovic fits the profile of the b grade celeb caught with his pants down at a Logies after party then 'fessing up to a sex addiction?
Well I have met Lisa and she is a lovely person. I do not think you want an eating disorder of any kind Little, they are fcuken terrible and some of them will almost certainly kill you. I think maybe you should spend a bit of time thinking about your attitude to women.

I do not know Karl Stefanovic, he does come across as an epic tosser but I dunno about the b grade sex addiction thing.
Sorry Nick, the point I was trying to make was; women journos rip in over the "use" of beautiful women because of the body issues they may incite but at the same time almost congratulate women who obviously have scant regard for their health. Same journos are primping themselves inordinately due to the pressure of remaining relevant, ie; attractive.
I've met Lisa several times and she's a charmer and a good sort, but come on, Magda beautiful?

Little
regular

Post by Little » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:58 am

ctd wrote:He sounds like me, except for the fit and good swimmer bit.

As an aficionado of boards for incompetent surfers, whereas Nick probably doesn't pay much attention to them, may I suggest (limiting to the big manufacturers): a 7S (any of them but esp the superfish), a Firewire Addvance (or maybe dominator) or an xf Nugget. Or if you think he needs the ego thing of surfing what others are surfing (so he doesn't feel left out), perhaps a hypto k? (probably the last on my list, but I suppose it might be sellable- I don't really know much about them actually).

These are fairly different boards in outline etc, but all are wide and thick and flat rockered.
CTD, I consider the 7S the Hyundai Excel of the surfing world. Everyone seems to have one and they seem to get from point A to B without much hassle. I've never ridden one but I've seen blokes who I've immediately identified as kooks because they've paddled out on one and then they seem to go alright. Could be a revelation! I have ridden a Hypto Krypto though and despite the muggings they take in these forums, seemed like a pretty damn good surfboard to me.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:02 am

Little wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:
Little wrote:Nick, why is it that opinionated women on the telly, ( usually aging ex Cleo editors clinging on by the skin of their teeth ) always harp on about body image problems associated with the glamourisation of gorgeous models and actresses but on the other hand, admonish those who hand it out to hideously obese "celebrities" like Magda Zsubanski and that other big unit ( from some morning panel show ) often calling them beautiful or "comfortable with their bodies". For fcuks sake, if you're going to have an eating disorder I know which one I would choose ( results based ). Lisa Wilkinson is a prime example. She's had so much botox she can't even blink properly anymore and she thinks she has a right to bang on about body issues?

p.s. Don't you think Karl Stefanovic fits the profile of the b grade celeb caught with his pants down at a Logies after party then 'fessing up to a sex addiction?
Well I have met Lisa and she is a lovely person. I do not think you want an eating disorder of any kind Little, they are fcuken terrible and some of them will almost certainly kill you. I think maybe you should spend a bit of time thinking about your attitude to women.

I do not know Karl Stefanovic, he does come across as an epic tosser but I dunno about the b grade sex addiction thing.
Sorry Nick, the point I was trying to make was; women journos rip in over the "use" of beautiful women because of the body issues they may incite but at the same time almost congratulate women who obviously have scant regard for their health. Same journos are primping themselves inordinately due to the pressure of remaining relevant, ie; attractive.
I've met Lisa several times and she's a charmer and a good sort, but come on, Magda beautiful?
And the point I am making is that you appear to have some concealed hostility toward all of these women, and you might want to have a look at that.

Little
regular

Post by Little » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:03 am

Gumby wrote:Nick,

Which 2 Kardashian sisters would you like to see take on each other in a fight to the death, and why?
Best question ever! Secretly film them fighting over dad's high heels and turn it into a reality show. 50 cent can promote it and slo-mo replays cost extra.

Little
regular

Post by Little » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:04 am

And the point I am making is that you appear to have some concealed hostility toward all of these women, and you might want to have a look at that.[/quote]
I think you're reading a bit too much into this.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:49 am

I don't reckon. Do me a favour and just have a think about why you asked me to address the subject. Don't feel like you have to write anything about it here.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:50 am

Re: Kardashian death fight, let the arse implants live on in perpetuity as homage to a great battle.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:17 pm

On a lighter note nick, I'm looking for a good set of quad fins. Not looking for template recommendations, more a construction recommendation. Going into a mid length board ( gasp! ), and looking for a fin construction that is drivy and good for more drawn out turns and carves. Not interested in snap or release, as my knee wouldn't like that at all at present. I like a pretty standard template and size, just wondering which brand/construction you could recommend for the above criteria?

At the moment I have some surfinz, which, while plastic, aren't actually too bad. Just looking to upgrade when the newy arrives.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:50 pm

Um since you have surfinz I assume your board can take FCS1 fins.

I would suggest the Stretch 4 set in that slightly softer glass flex material. The fin set feels v smooth and adapts to a wide range of turn types, and the material softens the feel a bit without fcuking the set up.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:36 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Um since you have surfinz I assume your board can take FCS1 fins.

I would suggest the Stretch 4 set in that slightly softer glass flex material. The fin set feels v smooth and adapts to a wide range of turn types, and the material softens the feel a bit without fcuking the set up.

Ow. Just Ow.

I'm certainly no ripper but jeez nick,glass flex? :) Was thinking of fcs pc vs shapers carbon ones etc, as an upgrade of my surfinz.