Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

gardie
Grommet

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by gardie » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:40 pm

Hi Nick

Loved the recent doco on Alberts Blood and Thunder

Why wasnt George Young interviewed for this. His two younger brothers and partner Harry Vanda were in it but no George ?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:44 pm

Davros wrote:Nick,

Do you write about anything that isn't surfing related?
Yes. You may noticed some talk on here about the tv series Blood and Thunder. I've recently worked on quite a few other non-surfing tv docos etc, researching and writing storylines and narration. Over the years I've written in magazines and newspapers both here and OS about a lot of other stuff, a lot of sport stuff (rugby league, boxing, swimming, golf etc) but also seemingly unrelated subjects like medicine, real estate foreign investment, literature, environmental activism, outback camel racing, and quite a few other things.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:48 pm

gardie wrote:Hi Nick

Why wasnt George Young interviewed for this. His two younger brothers and partner Harry Vanda were in it but no George ?
George is extremely reticent about being interviewed, especially for tv. Harry and Angus were elected to carry the torch so we were stoked with that. Clarke had this mad idea of taking Angus and George to a Rangers football match but it never came close really.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:55 pm

Nick, say a bloke was invited or found himself spending time on the Amalfi coast and Sicily and wanted to blend in but not present any outward colonial idiosyncrasies. What would you recommend for the wardrobe?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:03 pm

This'll be good
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:27 pm

steve shearer wrote:Nick, say a bloke was invited or found himself spending time on the Amalfi coast and Sicily and wanted to blend in but not present any outward colonial idiosyncrasies. What would you recommend for the wardrobe?

I sense a sort of The Talented Mr. Ripley situation happening here.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:42 pm

Shearer, regardless of how hard you try.. On the amalfi coast in comparison to everyone else you'll look like a hobo.

Sorry mate, but just accpet it now.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:59 pm

steve shearer wrote:Nick, say a bloke was invited or found himself spending time on the Amalfi coast and Sicily and wanted to blend in but not present any outward colonial idiosyncrasies. What would you recommend for the wardrobe?
Well if you mean yourself shearer, I will avoid the recommendation I might make to, say, loofy, which would be down the lines of el rancho's hint: that elegant pastel postwar look favoured by Matt Damon's character in "Ripley"

but let's face it, you're not gonna pull that preppy look off. I would go with Mediterranean Fisherman Lite, the simple stuff: navy chinos, starched white shirt sans fcuken breastpocket (what idiot ever dreamed up a pocket on a dress shirt), well cut leather sandals, fisherman's unbleached wool sweater for weather changes, and a classic thin cut beanie for the scalp.

Wear it with a casual flair, no swagger for chrissake. Fisherman Swagger is unbearable.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:32 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Well if you mean yourself shearer, I will avoid the recommendation I might make to, say, loofy, which would be down the lines of el rancho's hint: that elegant pastel postwar look favoured by Matt Damon's character in "Ripley"

but let's face it, you're not gonna pull that preppy look off. I would go with Mediterranean Fisherman Lite, the simple stuff: navy chinos, starched white shirt sans fcuken breastpocket (what idiot ever dreamed up a pocket on a dress shirt), well cut leather sandals, fisherman's unbleached wool sweater for weather changes, and a classic thin cut beanie for the scalp.

Wear it with a casual flair, no swagger for chrissake. Fisherman Swagger is unbearable.
A well baited aroma here.
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:54 pm

I'm taking notes here.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:07 pm

This is the look. Manbag non-negotiable, I'm afraid

Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:14 pm

I quite like Monty's shows.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:20 pm

Me too
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:22 pm

he has a pocket on that shirt. I need a pocket.
I'm ordering that outfit online as we speak.

Loof, hobo goes a long way sometimes, if you can get through customs.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:27 pm

Usually on freight cars.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:40 am

Ok cool, been watching Blood and Thunder didn't realise that, really enjoying it. Lamenting the death of the pub rock band. It's a by gone era. Probably fizzled around the time of the closure of the Sydney Trade Union club in the late 80's.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:05 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
gardie wrote:Hi Nick

George is extremely reticent about being interviewed, especially for tv.
Is that because George had a bad media experience or has he just learnt from the mistakes of others?

Just like the others I loved the series too.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:11 pm

^^Without speaking to him, I couldn't really tell you.

I suspect they're just a really close knit and protective clan who've been through many years of rock'n'roll fame, fortune etc, and who instinctively guard their privacy to the hilt, which I completely respect.