Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:50 am

ah shit.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:51 am

classic braithwaite
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:54 am

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:13 am

i might send in a pic of my dick draped in a broncos scarf for good measure too.
Kunji wrote:

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:17 am

there you go, be a professional, you're in the big leagues now craig
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

xe
regular

Post by xe » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:47 pm

What board you ride at the German Banks March session? A sunset gun or something made for our bombies?
"I'm just a surfer who wanted to build something that would allow me to surf longer"
Jack O'Neill

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:10 pm

Hi Nick,

Welcome back, what boards and fins are u currently riding? Anything experimental or Tomo like?

Cheers
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:42 pm

xe wrote:What board you ride at the German Banks March session? A sunset gun or something made for our bombies?
9'6" Rawson pintail, it's a good board for that sort of wave - its a v broad tapered sort of takeoff area and hard to paddle on anything much shorter unless maybe a bit of a smaller day. plus theres a bit of paddling involved just getting to it.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:51 pm

JaM71 wrote:Hi Nick,

Welcome back, what boards and fins are u currently riding? Anything experimental or Tomo like?

Cheers
recently? last five boards I've ridden

5'3" Tomo Evo hand shape with JJF Futures thruster set up, this is a very fun board with a lot of lift and quite modulated responses, nowhere near as mad as it looks. gonna get another one of these for sure, maybe an inch shorter and a bit less planshape volume esp in the tail

5'4" FW Nano with Marzo four fin setup

5'9" MC atm cross, roundtail, same as you might have seen Kelly riding at Bells in free surfs this year, relaxed single concave with entry and exit vees, a classic quick response high performance board, with Fanning's bigger fin in it

5'9" MC metro round pintail, v deep concave with slight vee exit, this has a fair bit more volume than the above MC and is much liftier and faster, you can ride quite solid surf on it because it covers ground so well, with those FCS blue glass PG5 fins

5'9" Byrning Spears six channel swallowtail made by Dale Wilson off AB's file template, lovely little board, gets better and happier under wave pressure as it should, with Shapers AB carbon fins.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:29 pm

Braithy wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:^^ don't have much to add to this (what boo said) braithy

It's tedious but not high skill work. But they're coming to you for a reason. Charge what works for you I say.

foamy, speech recognition software is shit. When it involves trying to pick apart different voices in the same conversation, it's completely shit.
thanks NC.

@boo. i just quoted them $35p/hr. as i hit send, it occurred to me that I should have quoted them less to just get the job, because it could have led to other, much better jobs as they're a huge media company with lotsa global projects.

stuff that braithy, then youll be stuck on that rate. if you go in cheap then lift rate quick, it will be a wtf moment for them, and they may
piss you off.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:47 pm

brendo wrote:
Braithy wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:^^ don't have much to add to this (what boo said) braithy

It's tedious but not high skill work. But they're coming to you for a reason. Charge what works for you I say.

foamy, speech recognition software is shit. When it involves trying to pick apart different voices in the same conversation, it's completely shit.
thanks NC.

@boo. i just quoted them $35p/hr. as i hit send, it occurred to me that I should have quoted them less to just get the job, because it could have led to other, much better jobs as they're a huge media company with lotsa global projects.

stuff that braithy, then youll be stuck on that rate. if you go in cheap then lift rate quick, it will be a wtf moment for them, and they may
piss you off.

this is true, too brendo. i never thought of that. that's probably why old mate quoted them $80 p/hr.

fark this freelance thing is a mind-fcuk. haha.
Kunji wrote:

Mr Percival
Local

Post by Mr Percival » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:26 pm

Brian, do you think you could transcribe a fart? Or even a whole dictaphones worth of farts?

The only decent words I can think of are parp, sploosh, and of course poot (pronounced in similar fashion to tootr).

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:13 pm

[farts]
Kunji wrote:

gardie
Grommet

Post by gardie » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:23 pm

Nick

Watching the Rio and now Fiji broadcast when they they throw to an ad break the online broadcast just gets a blank screen.

In your opinion is this because no one can be bothered paying for the ad spots for the australian market or its not worth the production effort of feeding ads into the mix for our small market and they just splice in for the US and South American market.

I am not missing the ads but I do enjoy the webcasts despite the loss of the old guard of commentators. Hate to see it disappear or become pay per view.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:47 pm

umm that's not been my experience, I just get ads in ad breaks.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:56 pm

Haha, it's more specific than the national markets. Gardie's not worth the ad effort and the WSL know it
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:08 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
JaM71 wrote:Hi Nick,

Cheers
recently? last five boards I've ridden

5'3" Tomo Evo hand shape with JJF Futures thruster set up, this is a very fun board with a lot of lift and quite modulated responses, nowhere near as mad as it looks. gonna get another one of these for sure, maybe an inch shorter and a bit less planshape volume esp in the tail

5'4" FW Nano with Marzo four fin setup

5'9" MC atm cross, roundtail, same as you might have seen Kelly riding at Bells in free surfs this year, relaxed single concave with entry and exit vees, a classic quick response high performance board, with Fanning's bigger fin in it

5'9" MC metro round pintail, v deep concave with slight vee exit, this has a fair bit more volume than the above MC and is much liftier and faster, you can ride quite solid surf on it because it covers ground so well, with those FCS blue glass PG5 fins

5'9" Byrning Spears six channel swallowtail made by Dale Wilson off AB's file template, lovely little board, gets better and happier under wave pressure as it should, with Shapers AB carbon fins.
Thanks Nick, how does the evo compare to a nano? And what waves/conditions do you prefer the evo & when do you prefer the nano? Cheers
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:24 am

gardie wrote:Nick

Watching the Rio and now Fiji broadcast when they they throw to an ad break the online broadcast just gets a blank screen.

In your opinion is this because no one can be bothered paying for the ad spots for the australian market or its not worth the production effort of feeding ads into the mix for our small market and they just splice in for the US and South American market.

I am not missing the ads but I do enjoy the webcasts despite the loss of the old guard of commentators. Hate to see it disappear or become pay per view.
oh wait I see what you mean

OK.

You might notice that Fiji, perhaps the most complicated and expensive double header event in surfing, has no naming rights sponsor.

I would imagine that's where those naming rights sponsors ads should be going.

They could be playing some complex game around pay per view but why would ya. Pay per view would be a huge mistake for pro surfing I suspect, at least in its current form. The viewership would go backward pretty quick from a relatively small base.