Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:22 am

Beanpole wrote:Dressing like Dad.....and paid for by Mum and Dad. Is there any wonder they reject this gear as teenagers now?

Quikkies downturn is obviously due to them ditching their Golden Goose.
I think in our minds it might be, we're all a bit more attuned to that detail than most consumers

wander around Quik stores and you'll still see Kellys head all over the place, therell be some sort of agreement about allowing them time to disentangle

to me it's more a symptom than a cause. A healthy company that knew itself and had its eye on the future would have been training Kelly for a spot on the board.

romak50
regular

Post by romak50 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:22 am

Nick Carroll wrote: A healthy company that knew itself and had its eye on the future would have been training Kelly for a spot on the board.
don't necessarily agree with that. Publicly listed companies boardrooms are ruthless and driven by profit. 2 things I don't think Kelly could fall in line with at the expense of his own beliefs. And no experience could have seen him chewed up and spat out fairly unceremoniously if things went wrong (see Eddie McGuires failed Channel 9 CEO debarcle).

anyway the big multi national trying to win appeal back is a way bigger issue than whether Kelly is there or not.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:54 am

yeah well I think you can see the difference (ironically perhaps) in the way Nike has treated many of its gracefully ageing stars in the past 20 years

Nike has had its brief wobbles over the years but it knows the value of Michael Jordan even today - the powerful connection with US sporting legend hood that he represents. You just don't cut yourself off from stuff like that, it's dumb.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:02 pm

You'll get a good run on that one Ron.

Surreal irony to be defending surfing on a website (inappropriately and unintentionally comically) titled RealSurf. Such is the peculiar reality of the day when truth wears the garb of criminality and is called on to defend itself; to horrifically mangle a great Camus quote.*

Surfing isn't unique, as it's adherents would like to believe, in inflaming the passions of man and becoming something of a ruling idea: at worst a tyrant which demands the slavish devotion of an everlasting infant, at best a unifying principle that leads to greater meaning through the deep and visceral engagement with universal natural forces and the acquisition and mastery of complex skill sets that enhance that engagement. But one finds that human desire intellectually anywhere in the natural sciences and physically anywhere in any activity that brings meaning and identity. For eg pigeon racing, bushwalking, mountain climbing, fishing, horse-riding, hunting, gardening, mountan-biking, martial arts, road biking, etc etc etc ad infinitum not to mention Cross-Fit

Every one of those mentioned, as well as countless others, contains within itself the seed, flower and fruit of natural hierarchies, as well as the approbation or otherwise of those on the continuum of the hierarchy. Summed up perfectly by the opening paragraph of Tim Krabbes book on road racing: "Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non Racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me."
Noobs, dabblers, weekend warriors, white belts or what have you are lower on the scale; a harsh truth to the ears of modern middle class ideals and realities where money, narcissism and western capitalism's cult of individuality all conspire to produce an attitude of instant entitlement. Such is the modern world.

Surfing has had it's time in the Australian coastal cultural landscape. The zenith was long ago, probably around the time of the first Oil Shocks. The great Urban Reversal is already well underway, the nadir in sight. Cities demand, not deep engagement in the specific, but what Mellinger calls "civil inattention". They require, and produce, well rounded generalists, omnivores. A consuming passion, like surfing, arouses pity amongst these good folk. Social media, devices and the demands they make as well as middle class requirements for kids to be hyper-educated and supervised encroach on the free time necessary to master something as complex as surfing. Late starting beginners scramble on surfing's steep scree slope with low level lungs, occasionally glimpsing higher peaks and even experiencing giddy rushes of achievement from the vistas below. Or else they doggie paddle in the kiddies pool. But eventually the lack of dignity involved or the unrewarded effort, or just the sheer lack of suitability or resource limitation sends most of them back to the safety of other activities. And they have so many to choose from! The table is bountiful and packed with delicious meals which never end. No need to wait under the table for the odd crumb to fall.

The future is already visible in most Australian line-ups, and has been the new normal for ten years plus in the states. A great mass of lowly skilled beginners and intermediates and smaller and smaller crew of, to use the term ironically, "elites".

These are value judgements. There's no escaping them. It's an essential and inescapable part of being human. The notion that humans can somehow be in the world, interact with other humans, with the natural world without judgement is a fantasy, a function of the "therapy" speak and language which has infected modern discourse, a replacement for the magical thinking of religion.
I like this wine and not that wine, I choose this or that, I notice this and don't notice that. All judgements. The function of the mind, consciousness is judgement. We don't see things objectively. We parse reality through the lens of our perspective. All truth is subjective.
Tonks stated reason that he didn't want to chase waves because he found the people who did not 'well rounded" is a judgement.
Boo's call that he found people who chased their passion deserving of pity is a judgement.
Everything Carroll has ever written is a judgement, even more the things he decided not to write about.

I really couldn't give a shitt whether someone is good at surfing or not. In the end it's way of being in the world. I have respect and admiration for those who have expanded that being to it's fullest dimensions. But there are many other ways and means of that.
Pitiable? Shitty life choices?
When I look at the ones I know and have known: Greenough, Ian Cohen, Chris Brock,Kidman, Derek Hynd, Carroll, Peter Troy, Owl Chapman, I see a richness of experience, not a deficit, even if something in them is broken, or unhealed, or unwholesome. They chose an authentic version of themselves and had the courage to follow it to it's conclusions and in the end that's about all a human being can do amidst the bleak absurdity of a Universe wholly indifferent to our existence.

*"One might think, that a period which, within fifty years, uproots, enslaves or kills seventy million human beings, should only, and forthwith, be condemned. But also its guilt must be understood.
Slave camps under the flag of freedom, massacres justified by philanthropy or the taste of the superhuman, cripple judgment. On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself. The purpose of this essay is to accept and study that strange challenge. (Albert Camus on 'The Rebel')

Out of line? I'll give you out of line.
Last edited by steve shearer on Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

romak50
regular

Post by romak50 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:17 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:yeah well I think you can see the difference (ironically perhaps) in the way Nike has treated many of its gracefully ageing stars in the past 20 years

Nike has had its brief wobbles over the years but it knows the value of Michael Jordan even today - the powerful connection with US sporting legend hood that he represents. You just don't cut yourself off from stuff like that, it's dumb.
Jordan and Nike is a good example but i think MJ needs the nike juggernaught as much as Nike need him. It's still a cool brand in MJ's world and the two go hand in hand more than Kelly and Quiksilver.
Quiksilver is on the nose to many and Kelly's brand and legacy will not suffer because he's ditched them. Neither would his earning capacity me thinks although no idea what Kelly has earnt from them, could have earnt from them ongoing, and could potentially earn going it alone.
But yeah MJ and Nike have no need to go their seperate ways.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:00 pm

Well said steve.

To clarify, as a later starter and lower rung dweller I can understand the sentiment. The best I've surfed is when I surfed heaps, a few days a week, before pre school and school drop offs and wife working cut that time right down. I'd like to have more of that time, but if I want to live the life I do it needs to be so. All kids in school next year though so lots more time to get wet again.

I'd by lying if I said I wasn't at least sometimes jealous of those who live their life around maximum surf time and experience.
Last edited by Beerfan on Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:02 pm

Yeah, nicely put Steve.

That hat though, wtf were you thinking??
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:36 pm

Beerfan wrote:
I'd by lying if I said I wasn't at least sometimes jealous of those who live their life around maximum surf time and experience.
And that ain't me. Not now anyway. I'm living my life around trying to provide a stable, loving and kind existence for my wife and kids.

I probably spend less time surfing than a weekend warrior, but I do have the great luxury of flexibility. I might surf for a half hour but it'll be the best half hour in that day or week, and if I catch a set wave it'll be the best set wave that broke that week.
In that way I feel completely satisfied with very little, because I can deepen and apply all my ocean knowledge and experience. My very great blessing is not how much I can get , but how little I need.
The actual riding of the wave is just the icing on the cake.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:46 pm

Well as well crafted as it undoubtedly was, I think Steve's response has missed the point I was trying to make.
No doubt because I didn't express myself very clearly, due in a large part to hastily tapping out responses on a phone while enslaved to the myriad of other parts of my omnivorous existence.

I was harking back to the discussion about addiction and obsession. The key difference (which I didn't elucidate) being a choice to pursue a goal versus a compulsion. I pity those without the choice.

I'll return to this later, as a recent addition to the cube monkey race it is a subject high in my mind

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:04 pm

alakaboo wrote:
I was harking back to the discussion about addiction and obsession. The key difference (which I didn't elucidate) being a choice to pursue a goal versus a compulsion. I pity those without the choice.
Who really knows to what strange pipers we dance too? What secret siren songs call us on or not.

Maybe the real tragedy is when we lose the ability, through wilful neglect or circumstance, to listen to those deepest longings of the soul.

Or not.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:06 pm

Steve, never stop being you. That is all but something is making you angry lately and its showing through your posts.

Whatever it is, make a change.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:34 pm

Jesse Prinz is a distinguished professor at the City University of New York,

"If the aim is to stir moral action, as Prinz sees it, we should grey out empathy and instead look to a hotter hue.

‘If you think about the outrage we experience when we think about injustice, or when we think about major problems of global poverty that have structural or political origins, outrage can be extremely motivating.’

Prinz reads the psychology one way—if you want to take a real and lasting stab at social justice, your first port of call should be good old fashion anger.

‘Feelings like outrage at injustice are much more successful at motivating moral emotions than the vicarious forms of distress felt through empathy,’ he says.

The idea that anger should be the first response—and a more reliable one at that—seems counterintuitive. Aren’t we told to be careful with fits of pique, as they can lead to unintended consequences? Disgust comes with the same product warning. Prinz admits the drawback.

‘I do think every emotion has its dangers. Emotions are made for the here and now; they are quick and dirty methods of responding to an immediate situation. Because of that, they are often not informed by the kinds of reflection that would be ideal in making a perfect moral decision.’

‘What we really need is a more considered, reflective emotional response.’

Here, Prinz invokes a two-step process: first raw emotion, then reason.

‘If someone does something that irritates you, and you write an incensed email right away, it’s often a mistake. But suppose now that you sit on it for a while, and you still feel angry—in reflection that anger remains—then it’s a pretty good guide on being wronged.’"

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:38 pm

Have you even determined what it is thats making you angry?

Are you upset about the whole Freeride thing? It's ok to be upset, you no doubt put a lot of emotion into that.

steve shearer wrote:Jesse Prinz is a distinguished professor at the City University of New York,

"If the aim is to stir moral action, as Prinz sees it, we should grey out empathy and instead look to a hotter hue.

‘If you think about the outrage we experience when we think about injustice, or when we think about major problems of global poverty that have structural or political origins, outrage can be extremely motivating.’

Prinz reads the psychology one way—if you want to take a real and lasting stab at social justice, your first port of call should be good old fashion anger.

‘Feelings like outrage at injustice are much more successful at motivating moral emotions than the vicarious forms of distress felt through empathy,’ he says.

The idea that anger should be the first response—and a more reliable one at that—seems counterintuitive. Aren’t we told to be careful with fits of pique, as they can lead to unintended consequences? Disgust comes with the same product warning. Prinz admits the drawback.

‘I do think every emotion has its dangers. Emotions are made for the here and now; they are quick and dirty methods of responding to an immediate situation. Because of that, they are often not informed by the kinds of reflection that would be ideal in making a perfect moral decision.’

‘What we really need is a more considered, reflective emotional response.’

Here, Prinz invokes a two-step process: first raw emotion, then reason.

‘If someone does something that irritates you, and you write an incensed email right away, it’s often a mistake. But suppose now that you sit on it for a while, and you still feel angry—in reflection that anger remains—then it’s a pretty good guide on being wronged.’"
Last edited by Drailed on Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:43 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:
Matticus Finch wrote:
steve shearer wrote:They chose an authentic version of themselves and had the courage to follow it to it's conclusions and in the end that's about all a human being can do amidst the bleak absurdity of a Universe wholly indifferent to our existence.
Find.

Choose.
And what if you don't/can't find?

Is there then choice?
what if you do find, and it isn't surfing, but you still wanna go surfing?

like that is a real possibility ya know.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:54 pm

steve shearer wrote:
alakaboo wrote:
Who really knows to what strange pipers we dance too? What secret siren songs call us on or not.

Maybe the real tragedy is when we lose the ability, through wilful neglect or circumstance, to listen to those deepest longings of the soul.

Or not.
Well I am more at the point that I think I have figured out which tune I can hear but I don't like the band.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:05 pm

anyway fcuk all that.

time for Matticus and el rancho to get an act.

Stanza One:

do this in the evening in front of the telly or whatever.

forget the weights for now. get the swiss ball. It should be inflated enough to support your body weight with just a bit of give in it.

set the ball in a place where you can sit on it but with something in reach (a couch armrest perhaps) to provide support.

sit on the ball. Feet on the ground, spread about shoulder width. Relax.

Now just think about how you're sitting. The way your body works best is that it makes the leg to torso angle - the one between your legs and your waistline/stomach/back - at the hip joint, not involving the lower back at all.

Your hip joints are not where you might think - they're not out to the sides but tucked in, quite close together, and just inland from your genitals.

So sitting there, just see if you can locate the hip joints through adjustment of your movements. And just make the angle of sitting from those joints.

If you're doing this right, you'll feel your whole upper body tilt just a bit further forward than you're used to, and your lower back will straighten of its own accord. Your sitting weight will be shifted a bit forward too.

Go back to your usual sitting posture - from el rancho's description a slump with a curved lower back. Then back to the hip joint flex. Go back and forth a bit between these postures till you really get a feel for the hip joint flex.

Now - taking it easy, using the armrest for support if needed - just lift both feet off the floor and hold it. Abandon the support as soon as you can. The ball will wobble and move under you. Just maintain the posture for a minute if you can, taking note of where your body is straining to hold the posture (lower abdomen and lower back, plus maybe hip flexors are most likely).

Rest for 30 seconds then another minute. Do that 10 times in all. Every night till next Monday. Then we'll have a crack at kneeling.

Also every night, 50 curl sit-ups using one 5kg weight held to your chest. Again try to focus on the hip joints in the movement.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:59 pm

Nick Carroll wrote: Also every night, 50 curl sit-ups using one 5kg weight held to your chest. Again try to focus on the hip joints in the movement.
By curl sit-ups, I assume Nick means something like this.

Image.
You just curl your head and shoulders up until your stomach muscles bunch.

Don't be doing 50 old school full sit-ups. That would most likely fk up your back.
Addendum: DON'T DO IT LIKE THE ABOVE PHOTO. DO IT LIKE NICK. READ NICK'S EXPLANATION BELOW.
Last edited by foamy on Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:07 pm

cripes you said this would be quick