Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

cedric
Grommet

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by cedric » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:10 pm

Google around the Herald has a piece on Jeremy and his schizo diagnosis,new marriage 5 yrs ago.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:43 pm

Yep, saw the Doco and the show afterwards at the Opera House. Truly great concert. Really glad to see he's getting together again. It's been a tough ride for the everyone.

He was making $200 a week with his band The Strand up at Mermaid Beach when he was in year 11. Big money in those days for a student.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:12 pm

Caught their comeback gig at the Dig it Up festival a few years back, a lot of happy people packed into the Enmore enjoying his comeback. Their debut album still a great.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:06 am

there's a few shots here, one with rabbit in a team photo if you click on his surfing stills gallery: http://thesunnyboy.com.au/characters/

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:07 am

surfers had pretty long hair back then. do you reckon the length of your hair affects your surfing nick?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:28 am

Oops, as you can read in that link it was the Australian Titles at the Mornington Peninsular rather than WA. I was in that Schoolboys Comp in 1974. Dudded out in the semis as per usual :-o
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:27 am

Lucky Al wrote:surfers had pretty long hair back then. do you reckon the length of your hair affects your surfing nick?
Fcuken oath it does.

Surfing is partly to do with attitude, and what says attitude better than a lengthy mop of hair?

I recall AI growing his hair out in early 2006 and claiming he was "bringing it back" in honour of Occy circa 1997. Both of them looked just that little bit flashier with hair streaming back during a big hack.

Imagine MP's morning of the earth cutback still without long hair! He'd look like some retarded cop or something.

The trouble with long hair though is that you have to be able to back it up. You can't be some dweeby hipster. You've gotta push that hair around with style, power, and a dangerous sort of flair.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:30 am

Oh you've also gotta know when the long hair days are done and strip it back to engender a cooler, more poised and accurate approach. Short hair is the only decent look for an older surfer. I guess a triumph of intelligence and inner strength over raw emotion sorta thing.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:35 am

So no bald headed ponytails?

Must have saved a few skin cancers back in the day.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:41 am

Bald headed ponytails are a disgrace. I think all sensible people would agree.

Other hair looks that betray their owners in the surf:

Moustaches. Oh come on, it's not Movember. In fact let us pray it's never again Movember.

Mohawks. Ummm you're in public.

Faux baldness. Look if you're not bald, don't fcuken go there.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:44 am

this is great stuff nick i'm taking notes as we speak.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:46 am

Beanpole wrote:Oops, as you can read in that link it was the Australian Titles at the Mornington Peninsular rather than WA. I was in that Schoolboys Comp in 1974. Dudded out in the semis as per usual :-o
you got to the semis in the australian titles beanpole? you must be able to turn a board. give us a pic you sly bugger.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:50 am

Nick Carroll wrote:Oh you've also gotta know when the long hair days are done and strip it back to engender a cooler, more poised and accurate approach. Short hair is the only decent look for an older surfer. I guess a triumph of intelligence and inner strength over raw emotion sorta thing.
gee nick i don't know long hair = raw emotion versus shot hair = intelligence and inner strength. didn't hitler have short hair? i mean that's just one example or possibility. i'm not saying anything. but i mean hitler.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:51 am

nick's hitler everyone. just saying.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:52 am

anyway i can feel the drunk and obnoxious me coming on so i might as well log out. good night everyone. good night nick, hitler.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:08 am

Lucky Al wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:Oh you've also gotta know when the long hair days are done and strip it back to engender a cooler, more poised and accurate approach. Short hair is the only decent look for an older surfer. I guess a triumph of intelligence and inner strength over raw emotion sorta thing.
gee nick i don't know long hair = raw emotion versus shot hair = intelligence and inner strength. didn't hitler have short hair? i mean that's just one example or possibility. i'm not saying anything. but i mean hitler.
yes Al, but Hitler also had a moustache and I think I have made it plain about moustaches.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:00 am

I'm not so sure that succumbing to male pattern baldness can be mistaken as a triumph of intelligence ... but shaving ones head in a last ditch effort to maintain a wee semblance of dignity does require a thought pattern of sorts.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:46 am

Nick, it's Craig here.

I was at Tugun Bakery this morning waiting patiently in line of three people while a fat cankled woman ordered cream buns, custard tarts, danishes and 4 loaves of thinly sliced white bread. While I stood there silently imaging what her poos might look like, a middle-aged man muscled in beside me out of the morning rain and made deliberate eye contact with me. He was wearing tracksuit pants with a button up shirt. Clean shaven, but with messy hair and was holding a thick brown leather wallet in one hand and car keys in the other.

I nodded politely.

"I'm 2000 years old," he said with swirling eyes.

I chuckled, "Oh yeah ... what's been the highlight?"

"Well, before all this was here it wasn't the aborigines who scoured these lands, it was Indians. We've been lied to."

The baker bought me out of this conversation, and I ordered my loaf of mulitgrain and then turned back to the man. He was gone. As if he never existed. But we both know he did.

What if he is right? What do you make of a strangely dressed 2000 year old man wandering the streets of Tugun declaring Indians are the real land holders. Does this mean there are wolves in the hills, not dingo's?

Or does he mean our local cuisine should be fragrant rice and spicy curries, not meat pies and kangaroo steaks?

So many questions here to ventilate for a monday morning. We must remain vigilante.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism