Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Hatchnam » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:40 am

surfie c - sydney surfs been ok. Some size here and there . Been lots of good waves down south lately too
Last edited by Hatchnam on Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:24 pm

Braithy. Is yours just a straight up MR twinny ? Or his Super Twin ?
Sniff wrote:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:36 pm

Super twin mate ... a little more of a small wave board if I recall. ie lower entry rocker, fuller rails, more volume.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:44 pm

That's what I'm after. A tear it to shreds stick for small-mid sized stuff. I've seen them, picked them up, and always thought they looked killer. Think I'm gonna invest in one. U don't see that many of them about (prob lots in newy though)

http://vimeo.com/m/44649892
Sniff wrote:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:59 pm

yeah get one. I really rate them!

In 1-2 foot waves, I've never had so much fun. It makes the waves feel like 4-5ft with the turns and speed you can do, and sailing over dead sections etc etc ...
Kunji wrote:

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:22 pm

I've got 6'2 that I don't ride anymore Iggs.. It's too big for me. It's a bit bashed around but would make a good project for you.. Do you a deal if you like.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:35 pm

jimmy wrote:I've got 6'2 that I don't ride anymore Iggs.. It's too big for me. It's a bit bashed around but would make a good project for you.. Do you a deal if you like.
what, an MR Super Twin ? (6'2 x 19 3/4 x 2 5/8) ?
Sniff wrote:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:40 pm

Yeah I can't give them the super ranking that braithy is coming up with. I feel the super twin is not really a slop squasher and definitely doesn't have the lift and freedom of a true 1-3' board, it is best in slightly larger waves where its top to bottom movement can be fully employed. Its outline is thrown a bit forward despite a wide sort of tail which is adapted well by the flyer on the front fins. It is not a "desperate" board, ie. it does not react well to frantic effort but to relaxed movements which pull water back into its double concave mid to tail area. It is also not lively and dramatic the way a truly tuned in hi performance board can be. Instead, if it's a well balanced one, it has a sort of Rolls-Royce movement that connects more with classic design simplicity. Don't have undue expectations of the Super Twin or you might be disappointed.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:57 pm

I have a circa 1980 Mark Richards knock-off twin by nick masarin. Similar outline to the super twin. Flat bottom to channel vee in the tail. Bought it for ten bucks six years ago.

Had to reshape the swallow tail with a resin cast.
Wild board but works best in 2-4 feet. Wouldn't call it a groveller.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:14 pm

not after a groveller as such. moreover a board that's super fast and very free flowing for a range of conditions for 2-5 foot (tops). beachies mostly. i like the freedom and different lines that a twinny allows you to draw in the top half of the wave, and particularly how it can slingshot fast off the bottom and whip around super quick and free off the top.

this... appeals to me
well balanced one, it has a sort of Rolls-Royce movement that connects more with classic design simplicity
i'm not necessarily wanting something abrupt and random, but more over "super lively and free" but still rounded and smooth and a bit more old school all the same..

the twinny i got a the moment is great, and i can still make good use of it (particularly in the 3-5 foot range with some room and face to tear up). but at the time i bought it i was 90kgs +/-... and now sit around 77/78kg. i can still surf it, but i'd be better off on something i can hack and tear, and put in multiple turn in on waves say waist to head-high plus.
Sniff wrote:

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:17 pm

Hatchnam wrote:
jimmy wrote:I've got 6'2 that I don't ride anymore Iggs.. It's too big for me. It's a bit bashed around but would make a good project for you.. Do you a deal if you like.
Don't know the dimensions but yeah it's an MR 6'2.
It's at my place in Sydney and I'll be back next weekend. Give me a buzz if you wanna look at it or even have a go to see if the size is OK before you buy one.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:18 pm

Performance Twins are good for sorting out bottom turns and what not. If your game is crook they find you out pretty quick.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:22 pm

jimmy wrote:
Hatchnam wrote:
Don't know the dimensions but yeah it's an MR 6'2.
It's at my place in Sydney and I'll be back next weekend. Give me a buzz if you wanna look at it or even have a go to see if the size is OK before you buy one.
excellent... next weekend as in this weekend (16th and 17th) ?
if it's say 34 litres plus (regardless of dimensions) then i'll take it off your hands for cheap, do the ding repairs on it etc..

hey - did u ever get that warner TNT a run ?
Sniff wrote:

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:30 pm

el rancho wrote:Performance Twins are good for sorting out bottom turns and what not. If your game is crook they find you out pretty quick.
funny you mentioned that. bottom turns (late steep drop into full committed ones) are THE single most prominent thing i have to keep in mind when jumping back on the twinny. i find that you lean in on a much sharper angle, lower, more compressed, arm into the face/trough, and overall start to execute the bottom turn that bit earlier. heaps of pressure on the back inside rail. then it's all sweet. otherwise if you attack it like you would a thruster, they can get a bit skittery and you end up having to nurse them a bit.
Last edited by Hatchnam on Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sniff wrote:

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:31 pm

Nick, how big is this wave?

The reason I ask is I don't want to seem even more of a kook than I am when talking about wave size with my peers.

To help you along a bit I measured the wave on my monitor using my trusty ruler; the wave from top to bottom was 70mm and the surfer measured 7mm. So the wave is roughly 10 times the height of the surfer. The surfer is crouched a little, so lets call that 5', so 5' x 10 = 50'.

Now I know that waves appear to be different heights in different places, and indeed appear to be different heights in the same place when viewed by different people. This marvellous discrepancy seems to occur irrespective of the measure used (feet, metres, various body parts). As far as I know these measures do not vary from place to place, but I am not well travelled so perhaps in Hawaii a foot is different to an Australian foot, like an American ton is different to an Australian ton.

I'm pretty stumped at what causes this variance. There is of course the Theory of Relativity and the General Theory of Relativity and these can be disconcerting to those of us more at home with Galilean invariance. I have noticed that you have at least a nodding acquaintance with relativity so I hope you can shed some light on this for me, even though these theories only seem to deal with variances caused by observers having different velocities.

Velocity could be the key though, as Hawaii is near to the equator so people on that island are, I believe, travelling at a 1000 mph while those in, say, Oz, are travelling at a much more sedate pace.

Anyway, enough of my naive speculations, I'm relying on you for a definitive answer on this one.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:37 pm

Isn't grovelling anything under 3ft? Is the super twin the flatter rocker that MR does?

Argh. All I know is of all the boards I've ever owned the MR was the most fun in knee high to a little overhead.
Kunji wrote:

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:56 pm

^ the mega twin is the flatter one. the super twin is more refined/rockered etc..
http://www.markrichardssurfboards.com/b ... rntwin.php
both look great mind you.
Sniff wrote:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:55 pm

lol. Sorry iggs. I had the mega twin mate.
Kunji wrote: