Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:01 am

Nick Carroll wrote:when you're ready braithy I need an explanation of the link between funnel webs and hand warts, like they seem disconnected from each other. Could one prevent the other? Could one CAUSE the other?

Just a simple case of worst case scenarios I'm throwing at you Nick just to see which one you will pick.

The cia do this.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:35 pm

offshore1 wrote:What part of California Nick?
My best mate and his son just went for a nine day visit to Oceanside and thereabouts..
southern Orange County

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:37 pm

Braithy wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:when you're ready braithy I need an explanation of the link between funnel webs and hand warts, like they seem disconnected from each other. Could one prevent the other? Could one CAUSE the other?

Just a simple case of worst case scenarios I'm throwing at you Nick just to see which one you will pick.

The cia do this.
Jeez they must be fcuken idiots, as if anyone would be tricked by that malarkey.

Try this instead:

would you rather
a) join the South Sydney supporters club, or
b) go back to looking for chicks online?

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:48 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
offshore1 wrote:What part of California Nick?
My best mate and his son just went for a nine day visit to Oceanside and thereabouts..
southern Orange County
ah he's right down the road from ya then. They'll probably see you around.
Surfing hasn't really taken hold much in that neck of the woods yet so there'll only be just a few rebels and misfits out in the water..
His name's Howard. a rebel misfit moniker if ever there was one.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:59 pm

No he fcuken won't. See me that is. I'm running back to the Sydney winter with a hangover and a mild case of Affluence Fatigue

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:31 pm

Howard could cure you of affluence fatigue quick smart. He's poor as..Works for the city of Wilmington as a surveyor. you don't get rich doing that.
You're on your own with the hangover.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:01 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Braithy wrote:

The cia do this.
Jeez they must be fcuken idiots, as if anyone would be tricked by that malarkey.

Try this instead:

would you rather
a) join the South Sydney supporters club, or
b) go back to looking for chicks online?

South Sydney please.

And you ... what would you rather?

Breadknives for fingers (think edward scissorhands) or have no lips?
Kunji wrote:

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:14 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:09 am

Braithy wrote: Breadknives for fingers (think edward scissorhands) or have no lips?
Fcuk that's actually a bit tricky

I don't think you could do anything with no lips, but knives for fingers might be pretty mental in some ways, so yeah that.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:19 am

Legion wrote:Nick, how much have you fcuked around with weird fins in your time? I'm asking because I have opportunity to switch to a new system and one that my shaper's interested in has some weird-arse fin templates:

http://www.hanaleifinsystems.com.au/pag ... eries.html

Some are similar to Tomo's hatchets - did you use those in your Tomo experiments? I'm a bit scared to go with anything but a conventional template but I am slightly interested in some of the less hatchet-like ones, some of the cutaway ones with a recognisable regular template.
Ummm, yeah I have tried many weird fins, always happy to do so, but have usually found that the board comes before the fin. Like whatever effect a particular fin has, that effect has to complement or supplement some aspect of the board. The alternative is the fin fighting the board, which can be fun for a while until you figure it out and then becomes annoying.

I'd hesitate to comment on any of the fins in the Hanalei range without having tried 'em, I do feel that generally fins like their Thumb template are very stable but resist tighter arcs or vertical turns of any kind.

Haven't tried Daniel's hatchet fins, nup.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:20 am

offshore1 wrote:Howard could cure you of affluence fatigue quick smart. He's poor as..Works for the city of Wilmington as a surveyor. you don't get rich doing that.
You're on your own with the hangover.
It's ok offshore, I'm safe at home again

sorry not to have met Howard!

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:53 am

Nick, while on the subject of fins:

got a new (second hand) 5'9 Maurice Cole Metro. Have only ridden it once in average small waves so not going to make a full call on the board yet. So far the board has thrown me a few issues. I'm putting some of the issues down to the waves (rather than the board) not allowing me to get the full lift out of the super deep concave. Also the board is an inch wider than my normal boards at 19 1/2 wide, while being pretty refines in all other areas. The board seems to resist quick directional turns up the face so far (which my other MC board loves). I'm putting this down to the deep concave and extra width in the back for now, though hard to call from one shitty surf.

do you have any suggestions for fins for this type of board?. Currently I have only used the shitty plastic futures the board came with which seem pretty crap. thanks

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:50 pm

ummm, shit I would try fins with minimal surface area. that's probably the quickest way to find out what the actual board's got going on.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:33 am

Nick. Have you ever surfed an MR Super Twin (with reasonably sized middle fin stabiliser) and if so what do u think of the board for its suitability in beach break conditions up to head and a half high (wind swell and groundswells) ?

As I'm very tempted to get one ( love the idea of a blended middle ground between a twinny and thruster for beach breaks)
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:04 am

Hatchy, I have fondled a few but never surfed them. They are quite chunky, foil wise and have pretty wide tails for the length, like 15 1/2 for a 6'2". Not sure if it helps.

SurfieC
Local

Post by SurfieC » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:07 am

Hatchnam wrote:Nick. Have you ever surfed an MR Super Twin (with reasonably sized middle fin stabiliser) and if so what do u think of the board for its suitability in beach break conditions up to head and a half high (wind swell and groundswells) ?

As I'm very tempted to get one ( love the idea of a blended middle ground between a twinny and thruster for beach breaks)
Hi Iggy 8) How is the Surf in Sydney?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:17 am

Hatchnam wrote:Nick. Have you ever surfed an MR Super Twin (with reasonably sized middle fin stabiliser) and if so what do u think of the board for its suitability in beach break conditions up to head and a half high (wind swell and groundswells) ?

I had a beautiful 5'11" super twin that MR made for me, to me it was best suited to more set-up slopey faced walls a la Bells, but could be surfed anywhere with a lot of success.

Got him to lower the volume a bit which really added to the sense of bite in the back end rail.

Sold it in the great post-injury board washout of 2007.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:24 am

I know I'm not NC, iggs ... but I got 2 cents here too.

my MR twinnie is the best board I've ever owned. 1 to 5 foot, hollow, fat, beachies, points doesn't matter it don't give a shit ... it owns everything. If there's a more fun board to grovel on, I'd like to meet it.

so fast over dead sections. top to bottom, rail to rail or just smooth flowing lines, does it all. Never surfed it with a stabiliser either, handled solid 5 foot angourie.
Kunji wrote: