Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

ctd
barnacle

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by ctd » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:36 pm

Not to be too hippy/hipster/paltrowy, but spiders apparently do not like the smell of lemon (or any citrus). So if you get some essential (ie natural not artificial) lemon oil and dilute it and dab it around the car, you get both a spider repellent and a nicer smelling car (better than the chemical sprays anyway).

I've tried this in my shed and it seems to work (I diluted into a spray bottle and just sprayed everywhere).

As a bonus, apparently it deters cats as well.

Whether you are man enough to deal with a lemon scented car I will leave to you to determine. I'm sure you could mix in some old spice or essence of wax or something.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:11 pm

Wonder if they like the rancid piss stench of booties. Yep, I started wearing mine yesterday and they fcuken reek already
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

xe
regular

Post by xe » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:41 pm

foamy wrote:pirate_agenda. Here is a cautionary tale.
A mate of mine was pulled over for speeding. There was the old sergeant and the young constable. The old sergeant asked my mate, 'Can you give any reason why you were speeding?'
My mate just looked a little sheepish.
'Come on, you look like you might have something to say' said the sergeant.
'Well, sir' said my mate truthfully, 'I was trying to blow a spider off the windscreen.'
The old sergeant stared back briefly and then slowly turned to the young constable and said.
"You won't hear one better than that."
Did he get the fine? Sounds like a tale heard, whilst "blowing the foam off a few"...
"I'm just a surfer who wanted to build something that would allow me to surf longer"
Jack O'Neill

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:47 pm

ctd wrote:Not to be too hippy/hipster/paltrowy, but spiders apparently do not like the smell of lemon (or any citrus). So if you get some essential (ie natural not artificial) lemon oil and dilute it and dab it around the car, you get both a spider repellent and a nicer smelling car (better than the chemical sprays anyway).

I've tried this in my shed and it seems to work (I diluted into a spray bottle and just sprayed everywhere).

As a bonus, apparently it deters cats as well.

Whether you are man enough to deal with a lemon scented car I will leave to you to determine. I'm sure you could mix in some old spice or essence of wax or something.
lemon scent beats the hairy hideous creatures hands down!

and nick, i think i'm screwed. Park on gravel driveway, under a tree, backing onto dense bush, and my cars full of junk! haha

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:03 pm

xe wrote: Did he get the fine? Sounds like a tale heard, whilst "blowing the foam off a few"...
Yes xe, he got fined. It turned out that the sergeant's remark "you won't hear better than that" was not actually a compliment.
And yes, the story was told over a few beers. It needed to, my mate was a bit embarrassed about the whole incident.

It actually happened while he was driving south, down off Burleigh Hill, past Tallebudgera. So in my mind, it is always been kind of a surfing story.

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:28 pm

nothing to be embarrassed about at all.

Couple of weeks ago i pulled over on the side of the princes hwy in morning traffic, climbed out the passenger door and attacked the filthy arachnid with a 4ft long stick!

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:14 am

Hey cazza..I might need reading glasses. I don't want to wear them in case people judge me for being a nerd.. what do I do..seriously thinking about giving up reading although I don't read much at all...more for playing games.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:10 am

look on the bright side kk, reading glasses make you look intelligent!

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:13 pm

Nick,

Should I buy a new board? If so, which one?

Thanks
Beanpole wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:06 pm
Why would I wear a mask?

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:36 am

i'll reply to that godsavethequeen - the answer is yes, and you should buy the board housewife. or the chairman of the board. or the hypno krypto. or a bonzer bumblebee. or a mini-mal. or a high-performance shortboard. or a longboard. just buy a board, any board. they're all good. any which way you'll keep a board maker in a job, and that's something. plus, you'll rip and get pitted. go the board housewife, she's out cold now and won't know a thing. i'm looking at her.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:18 am

Al, I'm VERY keen. Do you take dong?
Beanpole wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:06 pm
Why would I wear a mask?

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:25 am

godsavethequeen wrote:Al, I'm VERY keen. Do you take dong?
That's a rather personal question.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:25 pm

I picked up a copy of Surfing World at the airport and there is an interview with Jodie Cooper. She goes on to describe how she got punched in the head by Johnny Boy Gomes in crowded surf. I can understand guys not wanting to get involved if it was a guy getting punched but punching a girl? Seems the localism is all a bit extreme?

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:57 pm

Nick, I have a technical question about surfing preparation.

Yesterday I was surfing some pretty wild waves down around Torquay. The sweep meant I'd get a couple of waves then paddle in, run up the beach and jump in again. I did this around 5 or 6 times.

However as I ran I found that my wetsuit (a 4/3 rip curl flash bomb) was causing the pubes under my ball sack to twist up into tight little knots. This became quite painful when both running and then sitting on my board. Some young girls also saw me pulling at the crotch area of my wetsuit and paddled away from me.

Do you ever experience this and do you have advice on how I prevent it occurring?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:59 pm

channels wrote:I picked up a copy of Surfing World at the airport and there is an interview with Jodie Cooper. She goes on to describe how she got punched in the head by Johnny Boy Gomes in crowded surf. I can understand guys not wanting to get involved if it was a guy getting punched but punching a girl? Seems the localism is all a bit extreme?
That was in 1985, which in surf culture terms, is an eon.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:04 pm

Animal_Chin wrote:Nick, I have a technical question about surfing preparation.

Yesterday I was surfing some pretty wild waves down around Torquay. The sweep meant I'd get a couple of waves then paddle in, run up the beach and jump in again. I did this around 5 or 6 times.

However as I ran I found that my wetsuit (a 4/3 rip curl flash bomb) was causing the pubes under my ball sack to twist up into tight little knots. This became quite painful when both running and then sitting on my board. Some young girls also saw me pulling at the crotch area of my wetsuit and paddled away from me.

Do you ever experience this and do you have advice on how I prevent it occurring?
jesus christ this is appalling. I have never heard of such a ghastly thing

in fact I think you might be "phishing"! I mean as if there would have been young girls out there with you in these wild waves and 13 degree water and running around behaviour. I don't believe a word of it.

But if indeed despite my worst instincts this has actually occurred, I suggest a pair of sluggos should prevent the swirly friction thing with the pubes.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:14 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:21 pm

get a 'back, sack'n'crack'