Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by ajohnsen » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:59 am

Nick, somewhere you mentioned that one of your boards is set up with C-Drive fins. I got a set last year and have tried them out a couple of times but with no great success. I'm certainly not criticising Troy's fins; there are probably a few factors contributing to me shelving them for the time being:

- first board I tried them on was a 5'8" Misfit Flair. I don't think they were a good pairing.
- second board was a 6'1" Warner HPS. On this, it went well rail-to-rail, but as soon as I tried top-to-bottom, it was like not being able to find the sweet spot from which to bottom turn. On this set-up, I left a K3 as the trailing fin with the C-Drives on the sides.

The surf was pretty crap on both occasions - small and weak one day, bigger but mushy on the other - and I did not persevere. With limited surfing opportunities, I tend to dump something very quickly if it's not working.

What was your first experience with them like? Do you continue to use them? What board and conditions do you find they best suit? Which size do you prefer?

Thanks,

AJ

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:32 am

OK C-Drive

I tried them first on a little Rusty that we had for a Surfing Life board test about four years ago. The board was a 5'8" semi shortboard with quite a flat bottom, slight double concave in there somewhere. It felt to me like the fins did not fit the board -- I kept looking for more volume in the top half of the fins and it just wasn't there.

So I put 'em aside for a while, then Maurice Cole and Ross Clarke Jones started using them in their tow boards and were raving about 'em. Maurice transferred a set to his normal super concave shortboards and was still raving.

I had a set of smalls and tried them out in a 5'8" MC round pin and it was amazing. On those deep concaves you don't really need the tip volume of the fin for lift because there's so much lift going on in the concave, you just want the drive out of the base and some release off the tip and the C-Drive template just seemed to slot right in on that.

The only one they don't seem to work on is one in which Maurice put the back fin box a little too far back, so it feels as if the long rear base of the C Drive fin strays too close to the tail tip for comfort.

I only have small and medium sets, the larges are too big for what I want. Never tried 'em as quads.

The fins feel quite complex and there's a lot of feel in them from all the different curves and points, so they're quite sensitive at greater speeds and they give you a lot of feedback during turns etc, which I like very much, I want to feel a lot while surfing, not be numbed by the board or the wave. I continue to use them in several MCs in any conditions (I find that if a fin set is right for a board then it's right in whatever surf that board can handle).

Hope this helps aj. I think you're right to ditch what's not working for you as quick as possible by the way; it's OK for me to fool around with not-quite-right shit, because I have as much water time as I want really, and can afford to waste some of it just trying to work out why something doesn't work.

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:42 am

Thanks, Nick.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:47 am

Nick Carroll wrote:You mean my cock?

Or like a full body pose? Tastefully done of course.

You have the full artistic license to go nuts. Literally or metaphorically.

200 is a milestone.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:51 pm

Braif, I'm thinking 200 at 200, a lavish coffee table book showcasing two hundred of the best 'Ask Carrolls', each accompanied by a classy nude shot of Nick in a heroic pose. It would seem the perfect successor to TC.

Nick, a friend of mine has a book published into which he snuck a rather amusing in-joke. Have you ever done the same?
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:05 pm

Nearly there Nick. This is worth at least a Bronze. :-D-:

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:55 pm

Nick
Margarets.
Underwhelming as a CT event. Seems to suck dogs balls on the webby. 3ft or 10 ft it's still the same. The left is burgerish and the right is max 2 or 3 turns before the closeout on the shelf.
What's your call? Should it stay on the CT?
Doesn't seem up to par as a CT. Challenging or not it shifts onshore most days and turns to mush pretty early. Over rated wave that is a bit shit, hard to watch, not a wave that enables the comp to develop momentum. All surfers seem to suffer at Margs. Should it stay or should it go? I think they should dump it, what's your call?
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:15 pm

it'll stay on the tour as long as the WA govt is throwing bucketful's of money at them

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:22 pm

Has here been any research done into sports like surfing, where one of the main elements of the activity (the water, in this case) is fluid and dynamic, that looks at the possible positive long-term effects on the brain - Alzheimers and dementia, particularly - that result from the high number of split-decisions that a surfer must make?

A surfer is constantly shifting and changing and refining in response to a wave, surely this high level of activity is beneficial to the brain. I'm sure other sports - golf, skateboarding, cycling, motor racing etc. - would work similarly, but given the static nature of the surface upon which the game is played, perhaps not quite as much as surfing, or possibly snow-skiing.

Any thoughts on this?

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:29 pm

If it's like cherry stones in space, the grommets will be airborne by 3yo.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:08 am

el rancho wrote:it'll stay on the tour as long as the WA govt is throwing bucketful's of money at them
ding ding.

Occy, Wayne Lynch and Tommy Cazza are the only surfers who can make it look halfway decent.

It's a dreadful wave for modern high performance surfing and surfboards.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:24 am

steve shearer wrote:
el rancho wrote:it'll stay on the tour as long as the WA govt is throwing bucketful's of money at them
ding ding.

Occy, Wayne Lynch and Tommy Cazza are the only surfers who can make it look halfway decent.

It's a dreadful wave for modern high performance surfing and surfboards.

It's worse than dreadful. Bribie Island would be a better location for the tour.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:18 am

It looks terrible because the conditions are sub-optimal for the wave itself. Any location on the tour where the prevailing conditions aren't right for the set up and you have the same issue.

I think adding Margs on to the tour adds another dimension to the tour. If it was all high performance points and beachies it all get a bit too formulaic. If Margs gets to 6-8 foot and offshore, it certainly tests any surfer.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:29 am

godsavethequeen wrote:Braif, I'm thinking 200 at 200, a lavish coffee table book showcasing two hundred of the best 'Ask Carrolls', each accompanied by a classy nude shot of Nick in a heroic pose. It would seem the perfect successor to TC.

Nick, a friend of mine has a book published into which he snuck a rather amusing in-joke. Have you ever done the same?
Never.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:31 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:33 am

black duck wrote:Nick
Margarets.
Underwhelming as a CT event. Seems to suck dogs balls on the webby. 3ft or 10 ft it's still the same. The left is burgerish and the right is max 2 or 3 turns before the closeout on the shelf.
What's your call? Should it stay on the CT?
Doesn't seem up to par as a CT. Challenging or not it shifts onshore most days and turns to mush pretty early. Over rated wave that is a bit shit, hard to watch, not a wave that enables the comp to develop momentum. All surfers seem to suffer at Margs. Should it stay or should it go? I think they should dump it, what's your call?
I think it's not my call. To me it seemed better suited to a Prime but I also suspect el rancho's thought is right on the money, literally.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:41 am

ajohnsen wrote:Has here been any research done into sports like surfing, where one of the main elements of the activity (the water, in this case) is fluid and dynamic, that looks at the possible positive long-term effects on the brain - Alzheimers and dementia, particularly - that result from the high number of split-decisions that a surfer must make?

A surfer is constantly shifting and changing and refining in response to a wave, surely this high level of activity is beneficial to the brain. I'm sure other sports - golf, skateboarding, cycling, motor racing etc. - would work similarly, but given the static nature of the surface upon which the game is played, perhaps not quite as much as surfing, or possibly snow-skiing.

Any thoughts on this?
I don't know of any such research. I'm sure just doing anything healthy and enjoyable would and will help smooth out the ageing process, but as far as Alzheimer's and dementia goes, they're pretty serious end of life ailments and I'm in no position to offer any thoughts on surfing's possible effects on 'em.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:44 pm

Nick, you mentioned you were in a cast for 2 months a while back. Did you have much muscle wastage?, and did it take long to build back up if so?. My quads are quite weak on my bung knee side. I've been clenching them everyday in the probably misguided hope that it may help to keep some kind of strength for when my splint comes off.

Cheers