Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: Butts, beach_defender, Shari, collnarra, Forum Moderators

User avatar
pinhead
barnacle
Posts: 1828
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:16 pm

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by pinhead » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:05 pm

spork wrote: acid Mexican jazz soundtrack.
Do you have any good links to that sort of thing?

rmb
barnacle
Posts: 1262
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 6:41 pm
Location: Adult Cinema

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by rmb » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:16 pm

Would you or your younger sibling drop in..... on Tony Abbott?

channels
Owl status
Posts: 4650
Joined: Mon May 10, 2004 4:36 pm
Location: Northen Beaches

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by channels » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:41 pm

rmb wrote:Would you or your younger sibling drop in..... on Tony Abbott?
Maybe more on this..is there anyone that wouldn't be dropped in on?

Beanpole
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 35788
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Cheese Cave

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Beanpole » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:57 pm

mentone mansions wrote:
swvic wrote: We're not the source of the cash. It's the kids -
Well, kind of…...until they're in their mid twenties, they get the cash from grumpy old know-it-alls and pass it on. :roll:
Easy to play to stereotypes. Yeah there's a lot of kids who wouldn't enjoy a broader pallet but there's plenty who do I reckon. The ones who don't remain consumers. The ones that don't set the scene as much as the companies.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 21285
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Newport Beach

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:46 am

rmb wrote:Would you or your younger sibling drop in..... on Tony Abbott?
I honestly find it difficult to imagine a situation in which Tony Abbott was on either mine or my brother's inside. At least on a wave I'd give a fuschia about catching.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 21285
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Newport Beach

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:01 pm

Oh yeah further to the Lewis thing, it appears that a number of surfers were really pissed off with it, some because of what was contained in this PR and some because they have long memories of being bagged by Lewis in the past. According to one of them, he sent ASP CEO guy Paul Speaker an angry email; Speaker was on a plane to Australia at the time. When he got off the plane, he had the piece immediately taken down.

all a bit tone deaf really.

User avatar
petulance
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 21620
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Salford Lads' Club

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by petulance » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:03 pm

Nick Carroll wrote: I honestly find it difficult to imagine a situation in which Tony Abbott was on either mine or my brother's inside. At least on a wave I'd give a **** about catching.
Does this mean you won't be spending any time with Tones at Telos anytime soon?
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 21285
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Newport Beach

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:44 pm

petulance wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote: I honestly find it difficult to imagine a situation in which Tony Abbott was on either mine or my brother's inside. At least on a wave I'd give a **** about catching.
Does this mean you won't be spending any time with Tones at Telos anytime soon?
It truly is impossible to imagine the circumstances in which I would do a surf trip with the current Prime Minister of Australia.

User avatar
petulance
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 21620
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Salford Lads' Club

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by petulance » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:14 pm

I'm thinking that Tony could go on taxpayer funded surf trip to Indo to mend fences with our Asian neighbour. And he will ask you to go along as his "hollow takeoff over coral reef at low tide" consultant.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

User avatar
steve shearer
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 25160
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by steve shearer » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:28 pm

Nick Carroll wrote: just so you know, the SL Board Guide is the most popular single feature of the year with readers and (generally) with the board makers too - even the ones who don't get involved see a benefit.
No-one is questioning the popularity of it or it's commercial success. It's the integrity of the process that is in question.

The blind spots and double standards of the surf media are priceless.......it's quite bizarre.

If you purchased a Choice Magazine Nick promising a review of this years cars and read it in good faith then found out later only the car makers who paid a fee and were promised a favourable review were in the mag and that only former race car drivers or aspiring drivers who might have commercial links were the reviewers ......you would call BS on it.

It's Pure Cash for Comment. Almost of no help to the Average Joe surfer.

But yet it's the gold standard in the surf media.

Anyway, no-one seems to give a fcuk and like you say, as long as the punters keep lapping it up there's no need to change a winning formula.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Battery
Grommet
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Battery » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:29 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Oh yeah further to the Lewis thing, it appears that a number of surfers were really pissed off with it, some because of what was contained in this PR and some because they have long memories of being bagged by Lewis in the past. According to one of them, he sent ASP CEO guy Paul Speaker an angry email; Speaker was on a plane to Australia at the time. When he got off the plane, he had the piece immediately taken down.

all a bit tone deaf really.
ASP wants to surfing to "appeal" to middle aged couch potatoes who have never surfed hence soft-cock decisions like above... christ what were they expecting!! Its fucking Lewis!!!
Seriously all this does is make them look like nancy-boys to real surfers worldwide. Surfing isnt golf or fucking tennis. It isn't really even a sport!
Lewis's power rankings just went up for auction I hope, to the highest bidder. talk about free advertising!! {I hope he didn't sign anything}

Battery
Grommet
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Battery » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:23 pm

Nick would you give Lewis a job and post his Power Rankings on ASL...

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 21285
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Newport Beach

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:16 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote: just so you know, the SL Board Guide is the most popular single feature of the year with readers and (generally) with the board makers too - even the ones who don't get involved see a benefit.
No-one is questioning the popularity of it or it's commercial success. It's the integrity of the process that is in question.

The blind spots and double standards of the surf media are priceless.......it's quite bizarre.

If you purchased a Choice Magazine Nick promising a review of this years cars and read it in good faith then found out later only the car makers who paid a fee and were promised a favourable review were in the mag and that only former race car drivers or aspiring drivers who might have commercial links were the reviewers ......you would call BS on it.

It's Pure Cash for Comment. Almost of no help to the Average Joe surfer.

But yet it's the gold standard in the surf media.

Anyway, no-one seems to give a fcuk and like you say, as long as the punters keep lapping it up there's no need to change a winning formula.
You know steve I don't have a blind spot or double standard here at all. I don't mind if everyone knows that the board makers in the Board Test are given the chance to put a board in the Test because they buy a page of advertising in the mag.

With stuff like this I really try to light a candle. If this is how we can spend a fair bit of magazine space helping to show and tell a heap of readers about boards today, it's fine with me. There's a lot of great exchanges between the surfers and the board makers in the process, and there's a lot of good info that does come with the package every year. I relish the chance to check out all the boards and it informs a lot of other stuff I write in a typical year as well.

The world is not about to melt down nor the surf culture be damaged beyond repair by it, indeed it feels to me and obviously to a lot of readers and board makers that the whole thing is valuable and enhances the surf mag year a bit.

I am pretty good at working with disparate groups of people and somehow smuggling through a fair bit of value for everyone in the process so that's what I do here, it's just a professional task but with a considerable longevity and passion underpinning it.

Just let it go mate or do something else yourself that suits your own judgement.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 21285
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Newport Beach

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:20 pm

Battery wrote:Nick would you give Lewis a job and post his Power Rankings on ASL...
It's not my deal. SL's editor Wade Davis is the one making that sorta call.

But if I were editor of a site or mag in charge of deep dish coverage of the pro tour I'd definitely give Lewis a gig. It might not be one he was keen to take on though.

User avatar
el rancho
Duke Status
Posts: 12544
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:22 am
Location: taking a shit in the dunes

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by el rancho » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:24 pm

yeah don't think any surf media ever interested in acquiring advertising dollars from the big corpos will be employing lewis samuels anytime soon.

even though that original post-surf/surfline/billabong thing was years ago now

Battery
Grommet
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Battery » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:31 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Battery wrote:Nick would you give Lewis a job and post his Power Rankings on ASL...
It's not my deal. SL's editor Wade Davis is the one making that sorta call.

But if I were editor of a site or mag in charge of deep dish coverage of the pro tour I'd definitely give Lewis a gig. It might not be one he was keen to take on though.
Wade doesn't like Lewis's Power Rankings... "to negative" :roll:
Sorry, I haven't brought a surf mag in years but somehow thought you had worked your way up the ladder to editor...

collnarra
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2360
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:57 am

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by collnarra » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:22 pm

I like the board reviews and accompanying videos. They're interesting. I think having them reviewed by good surfers is the only way to go. I also don't see any problem with the board makers buying a page of advertising - the reader would have to be pretty thick to not realise there's a commercial association.

The key question is whether the readers get value out of the feature, and from what NC says, it seems to be true. In the eyes of the editor and publisher, that is delivering a good product.

Journalism untainted by commercial imperative is a lofty and laudable goal, and one obviously valued by Steve. But, unless you're working for Fairfax or the ABC, a goal often impractical and generally unachievable.

And even Fairfax - the travel writers and motoring writers, along with the tech guys, are all supping at the corporate trough. How do you think those motoring writers get to drive all those expensive cars in glamorous locations? I tell ya, Fairfax ain't stumping up. Nor is it stumping for when the tech guys visit CES ... and on it goes.
the tools of the trade are the head and the heart - mission of burma

User avatar
steve shearer
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 25160
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by steve shearer » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:04 pm

yeah sure, it's small beer. Not worth getting worked up over.

It's just I hear a very different narrative from some very experienced shaper/designers around here.

alot actually.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests