Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Hollowed out
regular

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Hollowed out » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:18 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
bobjs wrote:Being a journalist, do you think footage of Schapelle boogie boarding with her new found freedom should form part the expected tv exclusive?
Also do you know if she has skills (boogie boarding)?
Well I think that would be a bit too obviously ironic even for Channel Seven, so no.

No idea if Schapelle has any bodyboarding skills. It'd be a bit weird if she was taking her own bodyboard in a pretty technical bb bag to a place like Bali if she wasn't pretty good at it. Oh but wait.
Not just a standard BBbag but a DOUBLE…with only one BB encased. Seems strange that she would purchase a double bag (which one would think would be relatively rare and only used by those who were serious gut busters, not ya average puntergutbuster).

This seems the most overlooked question of all in the whole saga. Surely someone from Ketut the Cop to a half aware journo or prosecutor would pick up on how come if she claimed the baggage hankers stuffed it in there, she did not see the double bag containing one board (which would have been floating around in there like a kids turd in a swimming pool) was now bulging and puffed up worse than her mothers melon.

So she was obviously red hot on her gut and planning on charging 12' Ulu, forgot to load her 'gun' BB and the victim of some bastard baggage handlers who just so happened to have shaped a plastic bag full of weed into an exact replica of a BB and waited patiently for a pro BB'r to check in a double BB bag with only one board in it. The defence really let her down not pointing that out.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:24 pm

Hmm, which premise to believe, bomby's or hollowed's?
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:29 pm

OK let's not turn this into yet another referendum on that shit.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:43 pm

Nick given Hannah Triggers recent performance at the Olympics have you ever had much to do with the Trigger family from the Mornington Peninsula? Boards, comps etc....
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:12 pm

ah not really, I've met the Triggers and I think I might have surfed a heat against one of them one time. Phil?

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:00 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:ah not really, I've met the Triggers and I think I might have surfed a heat against one of them one time. Phil?
Yeah Phil and Paul are the brothers. Very well known name down here obviously, wasn't sure of their reach further afield

Idle curiosity
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:28 pm

Nick, do you have the Newport post code tattooed on yourself?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:30 pm

Hollowed out wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:
bobjs wrote:Being a journalist, do you think footage of Schapelle boogie boarding with her new found freedom should form part the expected tv exclusive?
Well I think that would be a bit too obviously ironic even for Channel Seven, so no.

No idea if Schapelle has any bodyboarding skills. It'd be a bit weird if she was taking her own bodyboard in a pretty technical bb bag to a place like Bali if she wasn't pretty good at it. Oh but wait.
Not just a standard BBbag but a DOUBLE…with only one BB encased. Seems strange that she would purchase a double bag (which one would think would be relatively rare and only used by those who were serious gut busters, not ya average puntergutbuster).

This seems the most overlooked question of all in the whole saga. Surely someone from Ketut the Cop to a half aware journo or prosecutor would pick up on how come if she claimed the baggage hankers stuffed it in there, she did not see the double bag containing one board (which would have been floating around in there like a kids turd in a swimming pool) was now bulging and puffed up worse than her mothers melon.

So she was obviously red hot on her gut and planning on charging 12' Ulu, forgot to load her 'gun' BB and the victim of some bastard baggage handlers who just so happened to have shaped a plastic bag full of weed into an exact replica of a BB and waited patiently for a pro BB'r to check in a double BB bag with only one board in it. The defence really let her down not pointing that out.
I did actually buy my kids a boogie board from rebel that came with a double bag and fins thrown in a few years ago but it is a striking coincidence. I'm keen for a film shoot of her carving up even the kuta beachbreak or dreamland. Come on it would just be so heartwarming.

Then she could go for a surf with Tones and that Afghani refugee :-D-: :-D-:
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:31 pm

tootr wrote:Nick, do you have the Newport post code tattooed on yourself?
Geez tootr he's a journo. He can remember his postcode.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:33 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Geez tootr he's a journo. He can remember his postcode.
The journos I know only remember where the nearest pub is. :D

bomboraa
regular

Post by bomboraa » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:08 pm

Ah well suppose I better answer, but am not a public defender of her.
It was not a double bodyboard bag. Don't know where you got that from. It's more rubbish.
It had a slight divide between the bodyboard and the flippers, as these bags do. And there were flippers in there too. She was a very keen bodyboarder. Happily surfed overhead waves.
All the Corby children keen wave riders. Mercedes and full brother board riders. Mercedes married an extremely good Balinese surfer. He won a veteran's comp late last year.
One question which comes up often is why she didn't notice an extra 4 kay weight to the bag. She says she was knackered, long multi stop flight, just dragged it along in brief time she had it at Bali airport before the bust.

bomboraa
regular

Post by bomboraa » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:11 pm

Hey Nick a question, sorry if already been asked; you ever ride twinnies back in the day? If so, what boards and what's your memories of em. If not why not?

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:45 pm

Hollowed out wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:

Fcuk me it's Jessica Fletcher!

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:13 pm

bomboraa wrote:.
It had a slight divide between the bodyboard and the flippers, as these bags do. And there were flippers in there too. She was a very keen bodyboarder. Happily surfed overhead waves.

every wave is overhead on a boogie

Surfnsmurf
Local

Post by Surfnsmurf » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:17 pm

el rancho wrote:
bomboraa wrote:.

every wave is overhead on a boogie
:lol:
andy2476 wrote:If I ever renovate our bathroom. I'm gonna put in a little step thing for shaving my legs
beerfan wrote:like today tonight, same episode over and over and no one watching. *turns up volume*

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:55 am

No, I have no tattoos

Save for those etched on my mind through memory (sigh)

I have to say I occasionally wonder about the Realsurf community's tattoo collection, like who boasts what farcical inkery upon their flesh, but then I remember that I kind of don't really give a shit.

Come on everyone, the standard of questions has fcuken bottomed out here surely what with S Corby and tattoos etc, what's next, "should I buy a mid length for my next board"? try to lift your fcuken games or I'll go to Surfline.com and start an advice column there instead.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:06 am

bomboraa wrote:Hey Nick a question, sorry if already been asked; you ever ride twinnies back in the day? If so, what boards and what's your memories of em. If not why not?
Whoops I didn't see this one, nice work Bombora

I didn't but I often think this was a bad move, I was a huge fan of Dane K and Larry Bertlemann and shoulda gone with that style of twinnie just to see what happened, but boards were not easy to come by as a grom, we might have been hot shit but the current practice of hurling a dozen new boards at any 16 year old who can stand up wasn't really part of the picture in 1977. You couldn't experiment that much. Plus there was a kind of cultural bias around the twinny at the time among the violent young surfers of the day, twinnies were thought to be "gutless" boards that worked up fake speed that you then had to wash off with weird shitty turns (MR excepted obviously) and a Real Aussie Power Surfer rode a single fin, yeah that's right, rather than being a marker of Passive Soul, the single fin was a fcuken weapon, a declaration of savage intent. So I stuck with the MP/Bugs/Narrabeen short single fin outline and didn't really go multi finned till the thruster.

Hollowed out
regular

Post by Hollowed out » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:00 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
bomboraa wrote:Hey Nick a question, sorry if already been asked; you ever ride twinnies back in the day? If so, what boards and what's your memories of em. If not why not?
Whoops I didn't see this one, nice work Bombora

I didn't but I often think this was a bad move, I was a huge fan of Dane K and Larry Bertlemann and shoulda gone with that style of twinnie just to see what happened, but boards were not easy to come by as a grom, we might have been hot shit but the current practice of hurling a dozen new boards at any 16 year old who can stand up wasn't really part of the picture in 1977. You couldn't experiment that much. Plus there was a kind of cultural bias around the twinny at the time among the violent young surfers of the day, twinnies were thought to be "gutless" boards that worked up fake speed that you then had to wash off with weird shitty turns (MR excepted obviously) and a Real Aussie Power Surfer rode a single fin, yeah that's right, rather than being a marker of Passive Soul, the single fin was a fcuken weapon, a declaration of savage intent. So I stuck with the MP/Bugs/Narrabeen short single fin outline and didn't really go multi finned till the thruster.
Interesting answer re the cultural thing because Newport was off the radar back then and doing it's own thing? Northy held the power and was full of twines, even TF rode one. From memory DH was a twinnie exponent around the time you where being chauffeured by him.

So is it fair to say it was shaper/brand/break that created subcultures and you being sponsored by Ron Wade(what year did he start looking after you) was a brand well shadowed by McCoy et al.

So in the book (much enjoyed btw) Tom seems to have been influenced by Col Smith who rode twines a bit but was more single fin back foot power and athletic projection and with his own label, Morning Star, which was in competition with McCoy and I think even nat shaped out of the MV operation.

So is that what you mean by the 'cultural bias' that saw Tom and most Peak guys ride singles?