Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by ajohnsen » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:09 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
andy2476 wrote:Surfing as an Olympic sport is the holy grail of the kookokracy
I think it may also be the holy grail of surfing's officialdom.

Imagine the enrichment of the surfing bureaucracy through Federal/AOC funds pouring into surf sports. There'd be coaches, team managers, chefs de mission, delegates and all the rest coming out our arses, all on the govt dime.

All those people who couldn't ever quite win a heat or get work in the big gun surf industry companies, dashing toward the taxpayer's dollar! I tell yas, it'll gladden the heart.
And, without putting too fine a point on it, Steve might be placated.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:16 pm

Legion wrote:Not sure if it was this thread where you discusses Australia's lack of potential future WCT competitors. How about Jack Robinson? Do you think he'll follow the competitive path (as early signs indicated he might) or does this deal open the door to be a free surfer like some others in the Billabong stable? Also, signing a long-term deal with Billabong - dumb or smart move?
I don't know what Jack will do. He's very talented but I don't know his real goals or if he's sure of them yet. I also do not know what Billabong is hoping for him to do. All long term endorsements depend on the surfer and the company developing a strong partnership at numerous levels. They'll have had a lot of talks around this before signing any deal so I'm sure they're on the same page at the moment. Re Billabong, the company's been through some really tough times and isn't the same operation it was 10 years ago but it's not about to disappear either. I don't think he needs to worry about them not being financially able to fulfil the contract.

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:37 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
andy2476 wrote:Surfing as an Olympic sport is the holy grail of the kookokracy
I think it may also be the holy grail of surfing's officialdom.

Imagine the enrichment of the surfing bureaucracy through Federal/AOC funds pouring into surf sports. There'd be coaches, team managers, chefs de mission, delegates and all the rest coming out our arses, all on the govt dime.

All those people who couldn't ever quite win a heat or get work in the big gun surf industry companies, dashing toward the taxpayer's dollar! I tell yas, it'll gladden the heart.
Exactly - we have enough uninteresting sports sucking up zillions in tax payers money, just so come Olympics time, the second most obese nation on earth can congratulate itself on what a great sportsmen/women they are.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:39 pm

The funny thing is that this country only a couple of years back was looking for various people to give some of these Winter Olympic sports a crack, & in some cases you were a walk-up certainty to go to the Olympics on the tax-payers dollar. My old chiropractor is in Sochi as part of the bobsled team. It's not like it was his dream that he'd been pursuing since he was a boy. The bloke's on the wrong side of 40 & has only been doing it for a couple of years.

To tell you the truth, I'm a bit jealous.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:54 pm

The father of the 15 yr old (!) Japanese kid who came 2nd in the half pipe owns a surf shop in Japan. Apparently the dad wanted the kid to become a surfer, but kid wasnt very good and ended up skateboarding instead (then, obviously, snowboarding).

So basically you can get to the Olympics if you fail as a surfer. I'm a shoe-in for 2018.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:05 pm

pinhead wrote:come Olympics time, the second most obese nation on earth can congratulate itself on what a great sportsmen/women they are.
You mean the US? i.e. the actual second most obese...
they're doing okay.

Scroty
regular

Post by Scroty » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:42 pm

2 questions:

1. What is the deal with those logs balanced on the top of the sawn off trees on the hill above Kimbriki tip?

2. What would happen if you pissed into a Dyson Airblade - and why on earth is there no video on the internet of it?

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:42 pm

Nick, can you make an awesome drawing of a robot spider monkey here http://www.zefrank.com/scribbler/?

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:50 pm

alakaboo wrote:
pinhead wrote:come Olympics time, the second most obese nation on earth can congratulate itself on what a great sportsmen/women they are.
You mean the US? i.e. the actual second most obese...
they're doing okay.
Have we cracked the number one spot? We need to get Sumo in the Olympics

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:18 pm

Nick can you play a musical instrument?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:40 am

Lucky Al wrote:Nick can you play a musical instrument?
I can play a guitar, not very well, for some reason it sounds way better loud. I think I would have been fcuken good in a band.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:42 am

Scroty wrote:2 questions:

1. What is the deal with those logs balanced on the top of the sawn off trees on the hill above Kimbriki tip?

2. What would happen if you pissed into a Dyson Airblade - and why on earth is there no video on the internet of it?
1. Who knows? It must be boring up there a lot of the time, I bet they get up to all sorts of bullshit that we don't know about.

2. Well there' sonny one way to find out, what are you waiting for? Report back here ASAP.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:56 am

Nick Carroll wrote: I think I would have been fcuken good in a band.
Have you thought up a name for this band ... ?

Who's in the lineup with you ... ?
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:10 am

I was in a band briefly in the mid 1980s, it was called the Twist Family Serious and it was just with my friends, Mike Newling was the drummer, David Brearley and Andrew hunter were bass players, Robert Hale and I were guitar players. The TFS could have gone places, we were loud, a bit chaotic and physically atypical and would probably have started getting good at the end of the 80s, just in time for the guitar band era. But we all had different missions and were too stupid and drunk to bother.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:25 am

Nick did you wear jeans with a sports coat and white gym shoes in the 80's as your day-to-day attire?
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

bobjs
Harry the Hat

Post by bobjs » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:41 pm

Being a journalist, do you think footage of Schapelle boogie boarding with her new found freedom should form part the expected tv exclusive?
Also do you know if she has skills (boogie boarding)?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:46 pm

Grooter wrote:Nick did you wear jeans with a sports coat and white gym shoes in the 80's as your day-to-day attire?
God no.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:48 pm

bobjs wrote:Being a journalist, do you think footage of Schapelle boogie boarding with her new found freedom should form part the expected tv exclusive?
Also do you know if she has skills (boogie boarding)?
Well I think that would be a bit too obviously ironic even for Channel Seven, so no.

No idea if Schapelle has any bodyboarding skills. It'd be a bit weird if she was taking her own bodyboard in a pretty technical bb bag to a place like Bali if she wasn't pretty good at it. Oh but wait.