Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by oldman » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:58 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Beanpole wrote: From a non surfing point of view how likely is it that the lunkhead who punched and now killed that you guy would happen to have christie, the guys name, tattooed on his arm and now have to look at it for the rest of his life?
yeah well I guess we will never know if he is willing or able to make that very darkly ironic connection in his own mind, it might never occur to him. Putting the best possible interpretation on events, he still doesn't seem like a very self aware sort of person.
Isn't that just an Alannis Morrisette type of irony?

By that I mean 'irony' in the sense that everyone currently uses it, rather than 'irony' as opposed to how pedants tell us it should be used.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:07 am

fongss wrote:Dear nick

Do u or have u eva had a good luck charm?
And if so.. what is or was it :?:
Yep, I have three black pearls on a chain around my neck. The pearls were given to me by a family I met in the Tuamotus. They stand for my wife and two kids, but they also represent some sort of weird underlying thought I have about things existing in threes, and I superstitiously believe they protect me in the ocean.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:10 am

Are you planning a rasta style video on threes?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:18 am

oldman wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:
Beanpole wrote: From a non surfing point of view how likely is it that the lunkhead who punched and now killed that you guy would happen to have christie, the guys name, tattooed on his arm and now have to look at it for the rest of his life?
yeah well I guess we will never know if he is willing or able to make that very darkly ironic connection in his own mind, it might never occur to him. Putting the best possible interpretation on events, he still doesn't seem like a very self aware sort of person.
Isn't that just an Alannis Morrisette type of irony?

By that I mean 'irony' in the sense that everyone currently uses it, rather than 'irony' as opposed to how pedants tell us it should be used.
Well there are things I don't know about that guy Sean O'Neill, I don't know what the tattoo means to him, girlfriend's name? But he seems like someone who has really needed to tattoo himself in order to strengthen his sense of self. They seem to go hand in hand with his desire to be seen as a strong man, along with the bulked up physical exterior, and his telling claim that night in the Cross that he was "an MMA fighter", presumably the strongest image of masculinity he could summon. Punching someone to the ground that night feels like the inexorable end product of that need to erect such an image of himself. And yet it has destroyed him completely along with taking someone else's life and forever damaging his family and theirs. I guess in that sense the "Christie" tattoo is just a poignant part of a bigger irony, all the darker for the likelihood that he might never see it.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:19 am

Beanpole wrote:Are you planning a rasta style video on threes?
No I don't expect anyone else to take my little superstitions seriously.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:24 am

Where do you stand on:
1. Fong shui.
2.flouride.
3.vaccination.

Note: spell check changed feng shui to fong shui.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:04 am

Beanpole wrote:Where do you stand on:
1. Fong shui.
2.flouride.
3.vaccination.

Note: spell check changed feng shui to fong shui.
1. I think there's a lot to it.
2. It's been shown to be effective in helping prevent tooth decay.
3. A vital part of post-Enlightenment medicine which has done humankind a great service in eliminating or almost eliminating some really gruesome diseases.

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:23 pm

Nick do you believe that Karma really operates in the world?
Personally I've found that it seems to apply when I'm in Asia, but not so much in Oz, and friends have made the same observation
I like the idea that I can do bad things to people, and assume they had it coming.
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:40 pm

Yes well it isn't going to do you much good karma wise if you go around doing bad deeds to people justifying it because its their karma. If you believe the premise then their karma has nothing to do with whether you are going to fry as a toasted cricket in your next life.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:47 pm

Nick, given my limited skill set, is it worth spending an extra $150 to get a FutureFlex board over the standard PU / fibreglass version?
Last edited by petulance on Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:47 pm

Matticus Finch wrote:I was under the impression karma was a future life thing, that is, you don't get balanced out for your misdeeds until your next reincarnation(s). I'm going to have to look that up now.

several karmic beliefs in use - hinduism, buddhists, sikhism, jainism.
jainists believe it's an actual microscopic substance.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:51 pm

My brainwave didn't work, any tips on my transport issues?

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:10 pm

Small trailer, 'boo?
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:22 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:34 pm

Nowhere to put a trailer, my brother has one (just needs new bearings) but it also drastically limits where we can go as most of the places I go require sand driving and have small campsites
Yeah, I'm thinking so Legion. I have some of the stuff, and my brother's FIL has the rest and the skills. Just have to design it without overloading the rails.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:39 pm

alakaboo wrote:Nowhere to put a trailer, my brother has one (just needs new bearings) but it also drastically limits where we can go as most of the places I go require sand driving and have small campsites
Yeah, I'm thinking so Legion. I have some of the stuff, and my brother's FIL has the rest and the skills. Just have to design it without overloading the rails.
I have two box section lengths of alloy which I attach to my Rola cross racks with stainless steel hose clamps. They extend the rails outwards which lets me put two sit-in ocean kayaks side by side. The tie downs go under the proper rails so the whole thing is secure. can you do the same and attach your luggage box out more to one side?
I've also seen some sort of kayak holders (would suit a SUP, too), which hold the craft on it's side.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:45 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:00 pm

I'm thinking more of two decks, Trev. Got the kayak transport organised, it the SUP is 30" wide and the box is about 32" so it is pushing the boundaries width wise. Wouldn't want to do it for long distances.
SUP under the box is the plan. I think the U-bolts from the box are long enough to raise it, or I can get some of the spare wheel ones.

I meant in terms of lift mainly , Legion. SUPs at 120km/h are like aircraft wings.