Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:59 am

There's nothing wrong with the world womble.

But there's something wrong with the cnuts who've been voted into the Gold Coast City Council.

Really: this issue is in the hands of the residents of Southern Queensland. Tom Tate is their deal and Campbell Newman is their deal. That's where they get voted in and out of office.

I still get the feeling that Bob and Co are just trying to put the frighteners up everyone so they'll let him do the same thing up at the Seaway instead. But I guess there is always the chance that he is serious.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:26 am

Nick Carroll wrote:There's nothing wrong with the world womble.
Thank christ for that ... I was getting worried.
Nick Carroll wrote:But there's something wrong with the cnuts who've been voted into the Gold Coast City Council.
Really: this issue is in the hands of the residents of Southern Queensland. Tom Tate is their deal and Campbell Newman is their deal. That's where they get voted in and out of office.
So I take that as a no. Shakes head ... collapses into chair and sobs uncontrollably into hands.
Nick Carroll wrote:I still get the feeling that Bob and Co are just trying to put the frighteners up everyone so they'll let him do the same thing up at the Seaway instead. But I guess there is always the chance that he is serious.
Yeah .. well thats been my sentiments all along. But I had a phone conversation this morning with someone seeking my assistance in the battle ... as a minor bit player. When I voiced this opinion ... they inferred that things were indeed slightly more serious than that.

Time will tell ... but troops will be rallied ... sabres will be rattled and the Quiky Pro will form the backdrop.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:53 am

loofy wrote:Haha bullshit Carroll.

You love the attention.
Correct. :lol:

Not a bad economic forecast Nicholas.

What was your HSC mark? OK you probably won't answer that but did you get any HDs at Uni?

You see to get into investment banking they really looked at your marks. Even credits were looked down upon. (wankers)

Journalism on the other hand. Better career choice anyway NC - take it from BB (figuratively speaking 8) )

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:29 pm

But...but I don't want to be an investment banker!

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:58 pm

But... But, they wear little suit jacket vests and very expensive ties, Nick.

This is you.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

BRE

Post by BRE » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:36 pm

Nick
What do they say on those talkback shows? Long time listener, first time caller...anyway. I remember years ago seeing an article by yourself re a swim training program, possibly containing some hypoxic breathing sets? Any suggestions for a 2 x a week session? I've tried a few but just like to mix it up. I have a pretty good level of swim fitness but can't be arsed going back into a squad situation. Rather just drag a couple of mates along to stay honest.
PS Nice job on TC. Good read.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:08 pm

woolly wrote:Nick, percentage wise, what is the likelyhood of swell on the North Shore late February / early March?
How much swell?

2-6' 95%
6-10' 70%
10-15' 35%
20' plus 8%

hows that for a silly guesstimate.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:27 pm

BRE wrote:Nick
What do they say on those talkback shows? Long time listener, first time caller...anyway. I remember years ago seeing an article by yourself re a swim training program, possibly containing some hypoxic breathing sets? Any suggestions for a 2 x a week session? I've tried a few but just like to mix it up. I have a pretty good level of swim fitness but can't be arsed going back into a squad situation. Rather just drag a couple of mates along to stay honest.
PS Nice job on TC. Good read.
Well twice a week you want to do one aerobic, one sorta sprinty.

Try this for aerobic, I am assuming there's a clock at the pool

AEROBIC
400m warmup, slowish pace alternating 75free 25form (i.e. backstroke or breaststroke)

8x50m variable pace, ie 1 easy, 1 easy/hard, 1 hard/easy, 1 hard, twice through, I'll be gentle and give you a 70 second interval but you can adjust to suit

then 4 x 200m: the first three freestyle descending, i.e. you try to do each one faster than the one before. It's smart to do the first one pretty slow to give yourself room. Then the last one easy. Again making it easy on yas with an interval of 4mins. Again adjust to suit.

then 4 x 100m, breathing every third stroke, each on 2min. The breathing is important here so focus on it. If you want to make it a bit tougher, do the first 50 breathing every third and the second 50 breathing every fifth.

then 200 warm down slow pace mix up the strokes.

SPRINT
300m warmup, 50 free 50 form

then 4 x 100, underwater kick for as much of the first 25m as you can handle, then freestyle the rest, on 2mins.

take a short break, drink some water or whatever, no more than 3min.

then 16 x 50: 4x on 1.10, 4 x on 1min, 4x on 55sec, 4x on 1.10

100 swim off

then 16 x 25 sprints, all on 40sec. (Im assuming you're in a 25m pool, if not then do 8 x 50, alternating hard and moderate pace, on 1.15.) Really gotta try hard to push here.

100 swim off, then 200 easy.

I aint advising you to do hypoxic swim sets, without knowing you, it's too risky, sorry. Nor timed efforts. You need a hands-on coach for that.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:33 pm

Wooly late Feb is a great time to go to the North Shore. If you are lucky Honolua Bay may even still fire at that time of year. It's worth the trip over to Maui if it does. Feb would be my pick of the year.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:27 pm

Womble send me a pm and I'll give you some info

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:46 pm

Not sure any of the criticism is contingent on what is or isn't in the book, but I'll be first in here eating crow if it is.

I read the first thirty pages in the airport newsagency. I can't say I got my head around the duel narrative device.

I found Tom's voice kind of bizarre and disconnected from Nicks writing, which I very much enjoyed. Tom was obviously very much in his own little world and I thought I might run the risk of not liking him very much at the end. Which is a very big risk if you're reading a bio of one of your heroes. Narcissism is the word you used Ron. Narcissists can b charming in person but they tend to have some pretty large blind spots which make memoirs on them painful reading after a while. Especially when they are telling their own story.

It was weird I was really enjoying and being moved by Nicks account of early life in Newport and his family dynamic and then Tom comes in and wham it's gone completely off track into Toms meanderings.

Guess I'll get used to that. But I found the difference between Nicks writing and Toms transcribed interviews jarring.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:49 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:33 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:Nick,

Read the book now. Enjoyed it on the whole. I can't help wondering whether the last quarter (roughly) was a bit of an accident in painting tom as such a narcissist? Or should I have got that from the outset? To me it wasn't until the addiction and resultant behaviours that that sub text became clear for the average reader?
I didn't try to think about that Ron. I thought a lot of the book would have to be seen in the eye of the reader. The dual narrative was my attempt to engage with the brother relationship which I felt was the strength and heart of the book, if it feels a bit conflicted as shearer mentions, well maybe that's how it was, or maybe that's just how the first bit comes across, which is fine with me as a writer, I would want the reader to do some work of his or her own. To me the relationship between the narratives changes quite a bit through the book but I know that's just me, and I am the unreliable narrator in this.

Anyway glad you enjoyed it and I hope your idea of it evolves a bit over time.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:29 am

Nick Carroll wrote:But...but I don't want to be an investment banker!
I meant journalism was a better option.

dazbloke

Post by dazbloke » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:31 pm

Hi NC
Now that you've finished TC would you mind hurrying the fcuk up and pen the Curren family memoirs please <:
Ta
- "i never say too much because I haven't got anything to say" - Tom Curren

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:51 pm

My Missus came home from Brisvegas with the book. Its sitting on the coffee table staring at me. I'll let you know soon.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:33 pm

dazbloke wrote:Hi NC
Now that you've finished TC would you mind hurrying the fcuk up and pen the Curren family memoirs please <:
Ta
Well I asked Tom about this back in 2006, he was into it, but then became vague and elusive, and I thought to myself how utterly un-Curren it would be for him and his Dad to actually open up and talk about their lives, even though Tom and I had had a couple of good private chats about it all. I thought I'll leave the ball in his court and remind him every now and then, which I think I last did in 2010. I'll definitely send him a copy of this book. But I wouldn't hold your breath. I'm not interested in writing books about people if they're not gonna bring it all to the table and I just don't think that's gonna happen with the Currens.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:01 pm

there was a richie lovett biography in big w yesterday. unsure of price, I tend to clear out of bogan wonderlands pretty quicksmart.