Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by alakaboo » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:39 pm

Got a small allen key? Most of the bits are interchangeable between brands.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:43 pm

alakaboo wrote:Got a small allen key? Most of the bits are interchangeable between brands.
Yeah. The brass pins used to corrode and break.
I just replaced them and mixed and matched various bits from leggies.
Only ever had one actually break through the leg rope material.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:35 pm

Crikey.

OK.

Most of the time when people are whipping in, there aren't people sitting around in the lineup within a couple of metres of the ski's line.

So it's of no practical risk in any case.

However.

A tow rope for surfing is not quite what you may think. It isn't just a thin string of nylon but quite a chubby braided coil, thick as your wrist and designed to float on the surface and be easy to grab hold of (you can't always get to the handle when being picked up). The design also keeps the rope pretty straight - it doesn't curl around itself like a Bad Legrope - and prevents it from slinging around the place and wrapping around nearby objects.

Typically after the surfer has let go, the rope slings about for a second or two then just falls into the ski's wake and lies there like a dutiful dog.

So no, it poses no major threat.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:40 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:23 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:12 pm

alakaboo wrote:Got a small allen key? Most of the bits are interchangeable between brands.
Thanks Boo, good call. I'll give it a try. They used to sell replacement bits in the old days but obviously decided that was too good a deal.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:07 am

Wills you please give me the name of a good board shaper in Newport Nick ?

tonka79
regular

Post by tonka79 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:46 am

Nick,

I see that the Encyclopedia of Surfing recently published an article on the partial boycott of surfing events in South Africa, beginning in '85, lead by Tom (see: http://encyclopediaofsurfing.com/eos-bl ... -the-sand/). Was it something you supported and what's your view on when or on what grounds sport should enter into the realm of politics?

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:37 pm

Good shapers in Newport KK? Fck there's Simon Anderson, Pete Daniel to name 2. Well both shape just up the road from Newy.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:59 pm

How was the Mall on the last Saturday before Xmas? Any car park rage, bashings over the last toy at Target, mum on mum fights? Did you or Tom get hit on by a slutty NB's single mum?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:07 pm

tonka79 wrote:Nick,

I see that the Encyclopedia of Surfing recently published an article on the partial boycott of surfing events in South Africa, beginning in '85, lead by Tom (see: http://encyclopediaofsurfing.com/eos-bl ... -the-sand/). Was it something you supported and what's your view on when or on what grounds sport should enter into the realm of politics?
I supported it wholeheartedly, I don't have a hard and fast view on these things but in that case at that time it felt me like the South African white public were pretty sports mad like Australians and that the sporting boycott that'd already been underway for a while with the Rugby and cricket etc was having an effect. I also backed Tom's move because I could see it was something he really believed in doing and because it was partly out of his sense of responsibility as a world champion, that he felt a surfer could make a difference here.

I think that sport-entering-politics thing is a misleading argument by the way, it's a matter of sport being part of life and society. Sportspeople standing for politics often look a bit ridiculous but sportspeople standing up for something they believe in at the risk of their careers, well that's the sort of thing politicians should do more often and don't. (Not that many sports people do either.)

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:09 pm

BA wrote:How was the Mall on the last Saturday before Xmas? Any car park rage, bashings over the last toy at Target, mum on mum fights? Did you or Tom get hit on by a slutty NB's single mum?
Ah it wasn't too bad, the car park was absolutely chock as but the mall itself wasn't super crowded, I suppose a lot of people shop online for Christmas stuff now.

Everybody was very nice though we signed a lot of books, crikey, it went on for an hour and a half.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:00 am

It was strange how Australia boycotted South Africa when it had such a poor track record in regards to their own treatment of indigenous people.

Im not sure if I would describe it a 'diversion tactics' or plain 'ignorance'...

3-)

I guess some people would do anything for a pat on the back and a free case of beer.
Personally i find the thought of supporting 'ignorance' a little unpallitable for my liking ....

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:13 am

I just realized something...perhaps im the ignorant one...perhaps Tom was shrewd enough to use the popular anti South African movement at the time to either mask his own fear of travelling to a dangerous place or to avoid surfing in a event that did not have a big purse and/or rating.

Kudos if he was shrewd. :-D-:

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:15 am

Anyways I knows how some people deal with demons....

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:19 am

Anonymity, hey. How fcuken good is it?
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:48 am

"In contrast to ancient Spartan doctrines the love you have for your brother leaves you vunerable to emotional exploitation". KK circa 2007

Personally im not a big fan of ''anonymity'... I find however when I do meet people face to face they usualy feel threatened...so anonymity usualy works in their favour....which shouldnt be the case because im actually not all that bad.

The www creates illusions of monsters.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:24 am

Contrary to popular belief... 'anonymity' gives an honest voice to those that would otherwise feel physically threatened by expressing the blunt truth face to face.