Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:04 am

pinhead wrote:Is skateboarding valid surf training?

I've seen a bit of incidental footage of guys like Jordy, JJF and Dane Reynolds skating ramps and pools very competently i.e vertical ollie airs. The aussies all seem to be playing golf and working out with personal trainers.
I reckon it's totally valid, there's obviously a lot of differences but it definitely keeps your reflexes sharp and also keeps you stoked in flat spells.

Once went through a horrible flat winter in CA, I think 1994, it was just when the new school long carving boards came out and they saved mine and my mates lives, we would go skating the new roads up the back of San Clemente at lunchtime, six weeks of flatness passed v quickly and I could still surf OK when the flat spell broke.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:05 am

Buff_Brad wrote:Have you ever windsurfed Nick? Surely you and little Tommy at least thought about giving it a go when it certainly was all the rage in the early eighties as boards with footstraps and massive rocker came into play.

Ever tried kitesurfing?

"Ever seen a grown man naked?" :mrgreen:
Ever bought a copy of a dirty magazine?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:06 am

What's the most snowboard-like surfboard?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:14 am

I dunno. Any board with a fair bit of concave feels a bit like a snowboard. The Vanguard type boards resemble them most I guess. I saw a seq of Stu Kennedy riding a new one recently, it had rounded nose and tail tips, looked amazingly snowboard-like.

Maybe Derek's finless boards too? Or the harddartz finless boards? Hayden's side cut boards also have a hint of the snowboard's sidecut idea.

I still think that major progression with boards lies ahead for highly talented kids, maybe once the whole hipster retro trim thing passes, there might be a generation of kids and some sharp designers who tear the sport apart with fin free switch stance ripping on boards made to surf both ways at will, that'd be epic I think.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:37 am

Re: skateboards, if your looking at crusier boards look at a shorter board with Gullwing trucks (dual rubbers)....they are tons of fun and dont turn like buses and nearly impossible to spin out at speed.

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:25 pm

Davros wrote:Re: skateboards, if your looking at crusier boards look at a shorter board with Gullwing trucks (dual rubbers)....they are tons of fun and dont turn like buses and nearly impossible to spin out at speed.
What model would you recommend Dav? Is there one you can ride in bowls as well?

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:48 pm

Pinhead, get a regular paddle pop stick type board for bowls. Cruisers won't cut it near as well. I ride an 8.5" wide deck with 159 Independent trucks (nice & loose) & fairly hard wheels & it goes pretty well on half-pipes & bowls. I put it together after using a Z-Flex mini cruiser for a while before being advised to get with the program by someone who knew better than me.

Fantastic substitute for surfing during flat swells.

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:47 pm

Nick Carroll wrote: I still think that major progression with boards lies ahead for highly talented kids.
Filipe Toledo is looking pretty sharp on a Tomo at the quik France right now. Its the V4 not the Vanguard

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:57 pm

Pinhead, I have a Sector 9 with sidewinder gullwing trucks, the boards a bit shorter than a cruiser (8.25 x 33) and great for deep carves at speed down hills but not for bowls...no way. In Sydney Hopkins skate shop at St Leonards is a fairdinkum skateshop with great staff, worth a call or check out site http://www.hopkins.com.au, let us know if you make a purchase.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:46 am

Theres got to be more to life than perpetually trying to serve your own ego....even the altruists have some self serving agenda to make themselves feel good by giving away their worthless time and possessios.
Humans are full of it.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:06 am

KK you are now caught in a paradox.

You yourself are human. If humans are full of it and acting only to support their own egos, then you must also be full of it, etc

Now it does not strike me that your picture of humanity is entirely complete on this score ...but it's your picture.

The self loathing! Rise beyond it I say kk. The world is full of vigour along with its rottenness. We all love you. You must learn to love yourself.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:39 am

Kreepie you are just experiencing the necessary existential angst that will prepare you for opening your mind to how interconnected "you" are to the cosmos. Peace man.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:41 pm

46 and 2

There are three totally different kinds of humans on the Earth, meaning that they perceive the One reality in three different ways, interpreted differently. The first kind of human has a chromosome composition of 42+2. They comprise a unity consciousness that does not see anything outside themselves as being separate from themselves. To them, there is only one energy - one life, one being ness that moves everywhere. Anything happening anywhere is within them, as well. They are like cells in the body. They are all connected to a single consciousness that moves through all of them. These are the aboriginals in Australia. There might be a few African tribes left like this. Then, there is our level, comprising 44+2 chromosomes. We are a disharmonic level of consciousness that is used as a steppingstone from the 42+2 level to the next level, 46+2...These two additional chromosomes change everything...

Currently, human beings are in the second level of consciousness, 44 and 2, but shortly they are expected to evolve in the next level. Supposedly, ascended masters have prepared the path for humans to change. 1998, was in fact, supposed to be when the change occurred. However, it looks like it might be postponed several years due to the abominable state of the world. For one to enter the 46 and 2 state, it seems it would take a mental and spiritual change. (Opening your third eye if you will.) It would require one to have a deep understanding of the world, themselves, and their consciousness. Most people are unaware that some people have vowed to change themselves and move up a level.

hmmmmm

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:14 pm

well, that's really set me up for the weekend thanks Davros!

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:37 pm

Jung was a psychiatrist, not geneticist :D

still here
charger

Post by still here » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:25 pm

KK ..... try "Gratitude "
Gratitude is a 42 day (yes , there's a reason it's 42 days !) experiential journey to free up mindspace , reduce qualm , and tap into calm .
- It will help refocus your G (Gee!) powers
- eliminate "Grrrr- attitude "
- ratify G-ratitude

Well over a million people have now joined the groundswell , and are as we speak receiving abundant blessings .
No cost attached - it's a G-ift .
Peace . It's all fine .

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:26 pm

Dear nc et al.
I do love myself but do realise that other people are fallible in regards to having to feed their own ego's. ..once you realise this people are then easily manipulated and controlled to serve your own agenda/s. To tell someone they are say 'amazing' puts you in a position of power (like a puppeteer ) allowing you to control their minds and hence their life.

Unfortunately people like 'still here' have very little brain matter making the task even harder... but not impossible.

I have resolved myself to have very little ego almost morphing myself into a praise delivering vegetable and its paying dividends !!!

I have a kamikaze flock waiting my orders.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:57 pm

Why do you think facebook, twitter and instagram are multi billion dollar business's...because its all about the ego...these clever website developers have tapped into peoples need to be 'liked' and 'followed'...and they have made billions doing so.