Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:58 am

DucksNuts wrote:I'm fascinated by paranoid schizophrenia and the link between people afflicted by the disease and some of these individuals' capacity for brilliance in a given field.

Ignoring the statistics (3-times Bells champ, Aus. champion, etc.) just how brilliant was MP compared to his contemporaries (from the perspective of someone who would have seen him surf first-hand) and can you give any anecdotes of particular waves that his book and Searching for MP movie footage might not have shown? e.g. TC's biography gives an account of one wave at Newport where he cuts back into a barrel and comes out. That footage of late drop at Sunset, to heaving keg in a comp.
Jeez well I recall watching him do that cuttie into the barrel, I was off to the side and it was bullshit.

I was a bit young to see MP in full flight but I do remember being in an Aussie Titles up in Qld in May 1979, the Snapper bank was really good, barrelling from outside the rock. In the day an Aussie titles was held in rounds, like you'd surf in effect two or three contests in a row. I'd just come second in the first one's final and was paddling out for the first heat of the next round, feeling pretty fcuken clever. 19 years old and hunting down the Aussie title, yeah. It was late in the arvo and the light was gorgeous. So as I get round the corner, this perfect four foot wave comes barrelling down from behind the rock. I'm watching this wave, captivated by it, the only guy in position for the first perfect wave of the heat. I start to turn to catch it, then I hear this whistle. Where the hell is it coming from? The wave is still barrelling toward me and I hear it again, this whistle, "Yeeeeep!" It has a little echoey sound to it and I suddenly flash, holy crap, there's someone in this barrel ... and as I think that, who should burst forth from it but MP. He's not in the contest or anything, just free surfing, and completely schooling the lot of us.
DucksNuts wrote:Also, MP's biography mentions that Shaun Thomson suggested MP had held back professional surfing due to his fcuk-the-establishment persona, drug use, etc. What is your take on this? Did you admire MP as a person and a surfer, or just a surfer?
I think Shaun was right in a way, but I think he was also missing the point, surfing was never gonna just straighten up and fly right just like that, it was and still is a sport for people who are pretty loose, and indeed in some eyes, guys like MP reflected its essential rebel cool, the thing that separated surfing from all the mainstream daggery of the time. I was completely impressed by MP's surfing to the point at times of slavish devotion, but never much by who he was as a person, not in a disapproving way so much as a distrustful way -- he seemed so unknowable, especially compared to all the still-reckless but much more normal crew at Narrabeen who were our real surfing role models growing up. I do not share the Retro Glamour affliction of so many modern nostalgia buffs concerning him; he seems to have paid a pretty god damn massive price for being hero-worshipped by a bunch of middle aged wannabees as the Surfing James Dean. I wouldn't want anyone to pay that sort of price.

Marsh

Post by Marsh » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:19 am

Why can't surfers keep secrets like they used to and feel compelled to photo document every wave they go to and post it on social networking websites?

Nappy
Local

Post by Nappy » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:38 am

Is it normal when picking up an old hag to get a soft on when you catch an eye of her poo dang stained A-hole!!? Or should I just man up?

Why do some women have massive clits? Are they half man half woman?

One time I picked up this chick got my hands down there and I thought she had her rags and a tampoon was sticking out. Turns out she had a massive wheat bag that would bone up like mini penis.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:56 am

Nappy wrote:One time I picked up this chick got my hands down there and I thought she had her rags and a tampoon was sticking out. Turns out she had a massive wheat bag that would bone up like mini penis.
Just as I took my first bite of a lunch ... cnut! :shock:

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:22 pm

Do you think you've ridden your biggest wave? Or like your brother, is the biggest still to come?
p.s. How big is the biggest wave you've ridden so far?
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:59 pm

Nappy wrote:

One time I picked up this chick got my hands down there and I thought she had her rags and a tampoon was sticking out. Turns out she had a massive wheat bag that would bone up like mini penis.
i have a link to a scientific paper on this phenomena, however it will have to wait as i am at work.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:48 pm

Marsh wrote:Why can't surfers keep secrets like they used to and feel compelled to photo document every wave they go to and post it on social networking websites?
Surely you jest. I know of no surfer in my experience who hasn't wanted to boast to his mates about scoring perfect waves when said mates were busy elsewhere. The only difference now is that social networking websites have taken the place of the odd 6x4 Kodak print handed around in the pub.

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:56 pm

marcus wrote:
Nappy wrote:

i have a link to a scientific paper on this phenomena, however it will have to wait as i am at work.

^^ hmmm, this will be interesting. be sure to share when time permits marcus :P

back to nick......
signatures, finally got it covered.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:00 pm

Nappy wrote:Is it normal when picking up an old hag to get a soft on when you catch an eye of her poo dang stained A-hole!!? Or should I just man up?
Exactly. Don't be such a fcuken sissy. What does your own arsehole look like? Get a mirror and check it out. Pretty fcuken horrendous eh.
Nappy wrote: Why do some women have massive clits? Are they half man half woman?
No. Such enlargement can be either natural in origin or brought on by the use of hormones or anabolic steroids. In any case, the clitoris should not be mistaken for a penis in waiting. I mean honestly, what is wrong with you.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:20 pm

:lol:

This thread just keeps on giving.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Nick, there are a lot of personal questions I could ask given some of the stuff you've been open about on here before, but I don't feel I have the right to ask most of them because I don't know you well enough. Or at all.
That hasn't stopped most people though.

So, just a couple:
Why did you decide to answer questions, and why are you doing it so diligently and openly? I understand why you might decide to move on from RS, but why this way? I know you said previously that it is kind of like a farewell do, but it's an interesting approach.

And:
If you could have the same opportunity from anyone alive or dead, to ask them a few burning questions, who would it be and what would you want to know? You can have up to 3.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:32 pm

alakaboo wrote:Why did you decide to answer questions, and why are you doing it so diligently and openly? I understand why you might decide to move on from RS, but why this way? I know you said previously that it is kind of like a farewell do, but it's an interesting approach.
Mainly because people seem to ask me a lot of questions, both via pm and on the forums, so I thought I'd give everyone a last shot. Plus I was interested to know what they'd ask given the circs.
alakaboo wrote: If you could have the same opportunity from anyone alive or dead, to ask them a few burning questions, who would it be and what would you want to know? You can have up to 3.
I would like to ask Tommy Tanna how he learned to bodysurf. That's one.

I would really like to ask Jesus Christ if he himself really believed in the whole Son Of God shtick. That's two.

And I would like to know if Eddie Aikau knew or had a strong premonition he was going to die before he got on the Hokule'a.

While we're on the subject of why people do things, why'd you pick 3?

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:38 pm

turtle wrote:
marcus wrote:
Nappy wrote:

^^ hmmm, this will be interesting. be sure to share when time permits marcus :P

back to nick......
answer here.
http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtop ... 37&t=18034

back to Nick
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:52 pm

dear nick, can u tell me what page the asp judges info is on in this thread as i can't be ar,sed trolling thu it

many thanks

p.s whats the worst sun burn your eva had :?:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:11 pm

Coops@DY wrote:
oldman wrote:Is this whole thread now turning a little sickly?

What's your thoughts on the great dark matter debate, whereby over 90% of the mass of the universe is undetectable, except through mathematical proof of its gravitational force.
You mean besides obsevational proof like gravitational lensing, of course. :wink:
Not observational at all, it can't be seen you bonehead.

"Bruce H. Margon, chairman of the astronomy department at the University of Washington, told the New York Times, "It's a fairly embarrassing situation to admit that we can't find 90 percent of the universe" (6). This problem has scientists scrambling to try and find where and what this dark matter is. "What it is, is any body's guess," adds Dr. Margon. "Mother Nature is having a double laugh. She's hidden most of the matter in the universe, and hidden it in a form that can't be seen"

Plenty more where that came from Coops. Now wake up to yourself!
Nick Carroll wrote:And no more of that physics nonsense oldman.
Sorry, carry on. It's my aim to argue with Coops about Dark matter on every forum topic from now until doomsday. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Good questions gentlemen.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:22 pm

marcus wrote:G'day again Nick
do you know where i get a copy of the quicksilver G land 97 video?
matt's copy was stolen out of his car. :cry:
Marcus, I have it. It's cool but I think I've watched it enough.

Will gladly give it to you, for nothing other than the almighty effort you will need to come up with to get me to actually get my arse into gear to send to you.

Plus postage, and anything of value that you think I might like, plus if you sell it some day for a ridiculous price to someone who has too much money and no sense, than I'm in for 75%.

The 'anything of value' thing is entirely optional, just thought you might like to think of something as a quid pro quo, just to help ease the karmic burden on your soul. :mrgreen:

Cheers
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:34 pm

NC, how will you fill the void in your life when you are no longer posting on RS?
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:13 pm

NC you're like 60 somthing years old now....

Do you suffer from Erectile Dysfunction?