Personal rituals

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Personal rituals

Post by ajohnsen » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:05 am

Over the many years that I've been surfing, I've developed a few little rituals that I have to perform before paddling out because, if I don't do them, I'll have a crap session, or that's the perception, and perception is reality. I try to discard them as soon as I notice them developing, but two have stuck like sh1t to a blanket. And they are...

- My leggie strap has to be around a specific way
- I have to scrub my hands with sand.

The second one has a logical foundation. After putting sun block on, I'm paranoid about slippery hands, so I use sand to ungrease them.

I use to have to be able to mentally surf a wave well to ensure a good session. So, standing watching the surf, I'd imagine paddling, getting to my feet and then working the wall or whatever the wave was suited for. It was kinda interesting. Some days I just couldn't get my mind to pull certain manoeuvres off and the result would be the same in the water. I don't know how I would've surfed if I hadn't done the virtual surfing before the real thing, maybe just as bad.

These days I try to keep a neutral mind, because one thing I've learnt over the years is that the mind can sure get in your way. When I think back to some kookified patches I've gone through, it's invariably been my mind that's been responsible.

What rituals do you have to perform before paddling out?

Grooter
Duke Status

Re: Personal rituals

Post by Grooter » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:26 am

Drop the kids off by the pool before driving off

Otherwise it's aqua bog time :D
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:55 am

I have to run at least some of the way down to the water, even if it's only for a few metres. I have no mojo if I walk all the way down the beach.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:34 am

At one particular local left hand reef, I chuck two fist-sized rocks into the water through the paddle out. It has a sandy bottom, and Mr Stingy likes to bury himself there. I have stepped on his wing a couple of times and he's a big bugger. He's lived there for years so these days I just give him some warning... it's only manners.

Squidlips
barnacle

Post by Squidlips » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:43 am

I always eat a couple of bananas on the drive down,
I always take doggy for a walk along the beach before a sesh as it gives me time to suss the conditions.
I always tip my board upside down in the water prior to paddling out (cool the wax) and wash off any dirt (as the deck of the board especially the nose needs to be clean - weird!!)
When approaching the line up for the first time I always paddle extra extra hard and deep, to show Im a powerful surfer (so move over!)
I always triangulate my position relative to landmarks as soon as I sit up.

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:02 am

Oh yeah, if I don't catch my first wave within ten minutes, I'll surf crap.

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:58 am

great idea. after hearing the ungodly screams of someone stung by a ray, i've become a little parnaoid about them down south.
throwing a few rocks is easier than trying to paddle out from the beach without getting your feet wet.
dUg wrote:At one particular local left hand reef, I chuck two fist-sized rocks into the water through the paddle out. It has a sandy bottom, and Mr Stingy likes to bury himself there. I have stepped on his wing a couple of times and he's a big bugger. He's lived there for years so these days I just give him some warning... it's only manners.

sandfly
Grommet

Post by sandfly » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:46 pm

Always wear my "lucky" speedos or I will surf crap.

Trouble is they are starting to breakdown and fall apart, what will I do??

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:58 pm

I always get out of my street clothes. :roll:
And take my board out of the car. :wink:
If I don't my jeans restrict me on take-off, especially if there's no board undeneath me. :lol:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:05 pm

TrevG wrote:I always get out of my street clothes. :roll:
And take my board out of the car. :wink:
If I don't my jeans restrict me on take-off, especially if there's no board undeneath me. :lol:
Thats the funniest thing ive ever heard you say T-Rev. :lol: :lol:

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:11 pm

Always wash both sides of my board when I enter the water. Even if it's not dirty.

First thing I do when im out the back is take a closer look at who's out there and if they know somthing I didnt pick up from the beach.

Find the my spot, then find a landmark.

Before every wave, I adjust my legrope to make sure its around the right way. Ive got one of those f*cked up leg ropes that only has a swivel on the board end. Been meaning to change it. Too many times it gets tangled up.

I will always try and catch a wave in no matter how flat it is. Paddling in is just not on, even if it means im now running late.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:26 pm

Pre-surf ritual ... wake up scratch nuts and ask the trouble and strife if a head job would be out of the question ... after receiving the usual (read always the same) disappointing answer ... acid tongue cold shoulder defence ... admit defeat ... get up and have a slash ... scratch nuts ... partake in a cup of freshly brewed black coffee followed closely by the early morning turd disposal expedition ... wash hands ... scratch nuts ... head to the beach ... don appropriate surfing apparel ... scratch nuts ... walk to the waters edge ... place board fins down (in the water) ... place stomach on the deck of the surf craft ... make sure that the fins are facing downwards and to the rear ... paddle away from beach ... never towards the road ... head towards the take-off zone ... sit on surfboard ... scratch nuts and wait.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Squidlips
barnacle

Post by Squidlips » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:38 pm

Womble wrote:wake up scratch nuts ... scratch nuts ... scratch nuts ... scratch nuts ... scratch nuts and wait.
its a frucking crab farm down there :shock:
Womble wrote:paddle away from beach ... never towards the road
:lol: :lol:
Last edited by Squidlips on Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:39 pm

some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:42 pm

:lol:

Reminds me of a time when I was about 15 my mate had crabs but was too scared to go into the chemist to ask for some crab cream so I said I'd go in and get it for $10 :o

Turns out I was in there for a while and old mate came in to see what the f*cken hold up was. Mid conversation, he butts in and says to the pharmacist in a very concerned voice "are you sure that sh*ts gonna work?" to which the pharmacist replied "yes, your partner will be cured if he uses this product"....

:shock: :( :( :lol:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:15 pm

I throw talcum powder into the air and do the haka
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:06 pm

always put my left foot, left arm in wetty or boardies first..do it with everything not just before surfing, it started a long time ago when I played rugby league, always the left foot boot first...it might have grown a bit but I just do it now without thinking much about it....ffs, i got issues...haha . laugh you might but try it and you'll soon see why I do it, everything is better this way , really it is... :roll: :roll: :roll: :D

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:31 pm

i have been using moisturiser on my feet for well over 10yrs. my belief is i get more feeling from my board if botttom of my feet are soft.
signatures, finally got it covered.