wavesailor in your line up

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Squidlips
barnacle

wavesailor in your line up

Post by Squidlips » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:24 am

Ive been surfing for donkeys,

but ive discovered i have a bit of a talent for wave sailing (well i draw crowds and they hang around) probably laughing....

I can do top to bottom turns at speed, pull floaters and airs and im still on a pretty Sh#t board.

Anyhow Im gonna start wavesailing local breaks in vic that ive been surfing for years. So my question is, if there was a windsurfer in the line up with you that was sorta ripping, catching the set waves and making the most uf them (hacking them up a bit) would it get more kudos in your book than a semi average SUP rider who can just about throw a cuttie? or would everyone still think im a c#nt because im catching the good waves on a different kinda surf craft.

I cant be f#cked to stick to the windsurfer breaks that all the other sheep are drawn to as I think I want to progress in in wave surfing and for that i need decent waves. So as Im pretty much gonna be the only wave sailor in the line up round these parts I just wondered how much its gonna p#ss you off!!

Oh and if I take off on the peak and a surfer drops in cos they think im sh#t, do I still have right of way?

Breaks I plan to be pleasing you with my presence are all around the surf coast area.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: wavesailor in your line up

Post by alakaboo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:58 am

squiddy, i'm a former president of a windsurfing club, and i have some reservations about your plan.

i've only ever sailed in unbroken rollers, partly because i'm passionate and reckless but not that good, and partly because there's potential for some serious injuries. I also couldn't afford the broken gear.

re right of way:
you never have right of way. same rules that go for all craft, if you're powered you give way to sail, if you're sailing you give way to paddlers. pleasure craft give way to 'bread' craft

closest i've ever come to dying in the surf is getting struck by a windsurfer at Currumbin on a bigger day. If I hadn't managed to get an epoxy board between me and him, i woudn't be typing this now.

you'll be predominantly wanting cross-off winds, so when it's too strong for surfers, go for your life.
you're also able to jump or power around some very unmakeable sections, IMO there's no need to endanger and anger others.

there's a fair bit of discussion about it on the seabreeze forums, seems that much of the arguing is around the way that windsurfers head back out (i.e. not going wide enough), and that they just lap continuously.

i don't know anything about the waves down your way, but if you're able to traverse a few breaks in a session, you're far less likely to have trouble.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:22 am

Have had to share the surf with them and kite surfers before on ugly days at Point Leo.

And I hate them :x

Mainly because they hogged the waves

So yeah, sorry mate, but if you do that down my way, I will tell you to fcuk off :D

But nothing, and I mean nothing, made my blood boil more than when a bunch of fcukwits in a surf boat started sharing the lineup out at Big Left a couple of times. Pretty sure they were told to get the fcuk out of there as I have not seen them for a long time.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:33 pm

There's a spot here a looooong way up the gulf that gets a fun little noverty wave about once a year, and on that day I often make the trek up there ( nowhere else will be really surfable on those days ) in the name of tradition. Problem is... most other days of the year when there's a good breeze, this spot is a mecca for kite and sailboarders because the two breakwalls offer them wind ( above them ) and flat water ( below them ).

Last two years I have seen major biffo out there twixt kite guys and surfers, we're talking split faces and blood here. It's probably the complete reverse of your scenario Squiddy, in that you're probably impinging on what surfers might consider "their" turf... but i'm just saying it can get pretty nasty from what I've seen first hand.

The other problem I find is that a wind powered board can be "on" you in seconds, and change direction surprisingly fast - especially when fading back into a section or cutting back to wash off speed at the end of a long wall. I've had a few near-misses under those circumstances, and seen plenty more. Obviously... in the case of a collision it's the unpowered vehicle that typically comes off second best - as alakaboo relates. :shock:

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:28 pm

Windsurfers/wavesailors/kitesurfers and surfers don't mix.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:15 pm

buzzy wrote:Windsurfers/wavesailors/kitesurfers and surfers don't mix.
They have a huge wavesailing kite surfing festival here in November and the local break is inundated usally with wind needs to be cross shore and so it's no surfable. If the surf is good then board riders rule on the bar, the comp is usually polite and goes further down the beach as the organisers have to live here the rest of their surfing days :lol: :lol:
Ithink Squid you've overruled your own common sense if you turn up at a break when it's good in windsurfing mode!
Fnuckoff would be well and truly deserved.
only way to make yourself popular under those circumstances would e to have Roy in the line up :mrgreen:
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:50 pm

Fcuk mate you have opened a can of worms. In the 80's and 90's many of the surf stars of the day were in to sailboards, including Michael Peterson and Wayne Lynch. I was lucky enough to be on the Sailworks team in 93 and went to Maui to challenge Jaws with Mike Waltse and Peter Cabrhina, who later pioneered tow surfing with a few other notatable ex sailboarders. Nowadays I couldn't be arsed with all the sails and masts etc. and I just paddle surf. Last year I surfed a local break that is popular with kites and 'shared' a few waves with them, which gave me the shits big time. So, I went home and got the old wave sailer out from under the house. It was familiar and a little bit 'easy' compared to surfing, but jeez i tore those pricks up and dropped in and generally carved em up. F' em and F' you too. Don't expect em to enjoy the xperience of having you around.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.