Instant Coffee

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Instant Coffee

Post by steve shearer » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:29 pm

Sometimes when I get up to go to work and it's dark and cold I can't be arsed making a decent cup of coffee.
Or when the surf is good and there's a panic to get out there.

So I make an instant.
2 spoonfuls of coffee, sugar and milk.

I use that green label one.

Does anyone have any instant coffee stories to share?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Re: Instant Coffee

Post by jimmy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:39 pm

For instant that green shit ain't too bad..

I go 2-3 heaped teaspoons of coffee bit of sugar.. Fill it half way with water and top it up with milk.. It isn't too hot , but coffee shouldnt be anyway..

In essence it is a strong coffee with extra milk.. Closest you can get to a flat white made with instant IMO.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:45 pm

yeah right.
I like it hot..in a little travel mug.....it's good for a surf check then.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:53 pm

steve shearer wrote:yeah right.
I like it hot..in a little travel mug.....it's good for a surf check then.
My mrs likes hers hot so I wack it in the microwave for a few seconds and she's good to go.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:54 pm

Instant aint coffee.

Espresso is the ducks nuts - coupla ristrettos and you are ready to go.

Iggy - dig the turkish too, whack the cardoman in the grinder like they do in turkey, siiiiick!

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:25 pm

The first time I had instant coffee I had no idea how much to put in, so I piled about 5-10 teaspoons in.

I swear I was in fast-forward and everyone around me were going so slow they were almost going backwards...
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:33 pm

iggy wrote:instant coffee is rubbish..
turkish coffee is the way to fly..
goes well with a cardamom pod in the pot..
Wow

that pic instantly made my mouth salivate :oops:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:07 pm

Think we've been down this path as an aside in someother thread. Coops got up me for drinking instant coffee. :oops:
However I'm with Steve here. Nice and easy to make an instant before dawn, pour it into a travel mug and off to check the surf. I can generally only drink half before I get to the point. 8)
And hot. It's gotta be hot.
Except I'm in the shit at the moment. We bought a new kettle and the bloody thing is louder than the automatic garage door opener. Wakes the house through closed doors.
I have the real coffee on the way home. :wink:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:46 pm

I'm sorry but you can't go past one of my morning favs - a double ristretto shot to throw back at the coffee machine, as well as a flat white to sit on for a while *the simple pleasures*

Especially good if the place is serious about their coffee blend, roasting, and extraction

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:28 pm

i used to drink instant coffee all the time when i was a graduate student at the australian national university in canberra. i was writing up after fieldwork and my three-and-a-half year scholarship had run out, so i was working part-time as an editorial assistant at one of the university publishers and making about $250/week, of which $110 would go on rent. it was more than enough for me at the time and i wasn't afraid to splash out on the green-labelled jars moccona espresso style, live the high life.

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:30 pm

International roast all the way!!

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:36 pm

that's the stuff i always avoided tiger, couldn't remember the name just then. i used to look down on the poor fools with the big tins of that in their trolleys at the supermarket.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:40 pm

Nescafe Blend 43.

The morning heart-starter:

3 heaped scoops of coffee, one spoon of sugar. Half fill my mug with boiling water, the other half with milk.

I figure when the italians get wind of what I'm doing, there will be sponsorship deals in my future.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:54 am

Braithy wrote:Nescafe Blend 43.

The morning heart-starter:

3 heaped scoops of coffee, one spoon of sugar. Half fill my mug with boiling water, the other half with milk.

I figure when the italians get wind of what I'm doing, there will be sponsorship deals in my future.
With a routine like that Braithy, you'l be well on your way to adrenal burnout and chronic fatigue syndrome by the time any Italians cop wind of it.... :lol:

Dont think I didnt notice the way you said SCOOP for the coffee, but spoon for sugar - what constitutes a scoop? A cup? A bucket?

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:24 am

i remember one time i was skating home from the supermarket when i hit a rock and went head over turkey, and the jar of instant coffee in my shopping bag smashed and i had to chuck it because shards of glass were all in the coffee. i had a bottle of beer in there too but it didn't break, just the top came off and beer was frothing out so i sat on the kerb and drank it then and there. a couple of tomatoes got squashed too - i forget what i did with them though. this would have been 2003 i reckon, and ever since i've sometimes wondered whether i could have still used the coffee had i had a moka pot. has anyone ever brewed instant coffee in a moka? dinosaur?

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:00 am

Love the Turkish coffee. My mother-in-law used to make it for me all the time, was great for a pick me up after a big night. She'd also read my fortune from the dregs in the bottom but I got her to stop after a while as it was getting uncannily accurate.

When I was travelling in Egypt I drank it every day, especially with the shisha. Damn those evenings by the Nile indulging in that stuff were the bomb.

But as for instant coffee, that sh.it is disgusting! It was what I used to drink when I was in Uni and High School i.e. when I barely had enough money for petrol after booze and smokes. I swore I'd never want to go back to those dark old days of International Roast and Blend 43 once I got a decent job.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:03 am

dinosaur wrote: For years i thought there should cultural police death squads. Driving around in black A team vans picking up and dispatching cultural criminals who have desecrated italian coffee culture. You **** would bo on top of the list along with muggacino and expresso sellers and drinkers. The people that make those n'espresso machines and anyone who drinks a latte ( coffee with milk ) after midday. Also anyone who thinks the most important part of a capucccino is the froth and chocolate sprinkles.
For once I think we actually (partly) agree on something Mr Dino :)

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:02 am

^^

Nothing wrong with VB woolly, don't mind the odd stubbie on occasion myself. Remember it doubles as a bloody effective slug bait as well :)
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love