This is terrible.....

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

contorx

This is terrible.....

Post by contorx » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:31 am

Found this in the Age yesterday....its so f%cked.

"$6.2m bid seals Flinders caravan park deal"

"Another winter and another coastal caravan park has been put in the hands of a builder. On the Mornington peninsula, an as-yet-undisclosed developer paid $6.21million at auction last sunday for the flinders caravan park, about 90 minutes drive from Melbourne.
The two-dectare site was sold with a lease to the existing occupiers until next June.
After that, options for the new owner could range from a sub-division and sell-down of land to rebuilding the site as a much higher-density project, with shopping centre, offices and apartments.
In recent years, developers have snapped up coastal caravan parks at Barwon Heads, Torquay, Portsea, Rhyll and Cowes- with plans to exploit their central locations with apartment-based redevelopments. The trend is expecting to become more prevalent as rising land taxes, and recently amended state government legislation affecting annual fees, make it unviable for some caravan park operators to continue providing budget accommodation.
Before the Flinders deal, the largest caravan park site sale occurred in August in Inverloch, where a developer is believed to have paid $6 million for the water front Moller's Caravan Park.
Kay & Burton Flinders' Andrew Hines marketed the Flinders site"

I also heard that the pt. leo foreshore campsite is also for sale??? This is just going to ruin the beauty and laid-back vibe of this whole area.
Has anyone heard anything else about the plans for these sites, and the consequences of such developments?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Re: This is terrible.....

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:43 am

I know long, longterm, the only people in Australia who'll be able to live near the ocean will be on 6 or 7 figures.

The Gold Coast is the blueprint plan for the rest of Oz ... The richer you are, the closer you live to the ocean like it's a social status symbol rather than a lifestyle choice. These caravan parks are the last frontier, once they're gone condos and compressed living will take over and our kids won't get to enjoy everything we enjoyed as kids ...

It still blows my mind the block of land my dad grew up on in Miami with his mum sold to the spastic who owns Globe for 5 million plus ... pfft.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:08 pm

contorx wrote:Found this in the Age yesterday....its so f%cked.

"Another winter and another coastal caravan park has been put in the hands of a builder. On the Mornington peninsula, an as-yet-undisclosed developer paid $6.21million at auction last sunday for the flinders caravan park, about 90 minutes drive from Melbourne.
The two-dectare site was sold with a lease to the existing occupiers until next June.
After that, options for the new owner could range from a sub-division and sell-down of land to rebuilding the site as a much higher-density project, with shopping centre, offices and apartments.
In recent years, developers have snapped up coastal caravan parks at Barwon Heads, Torquay, Portsea, Rhyll and Cowes- with plans to exploit their central locations with apartment-based redevelopments. The trend is expecting to become more prevalent as rising land taxes, and recently amended state government legislation affecting annual fees, make it unviable for some caravan park operators to continue providing budget accommodation.
Before the Flinders deal, the largest caravan park site sale occurred in August in Inverloch, where a developer is believed to have paid $6 million for the water front Moller's Caravan Park.
Kay & Burton Flinders' Andrew Hines marketed the Flinders site"

I also heard that the pt. leo foreshore campsite is also for sale??? This is just going to ruin the beauty and laid-back vibe of this whole area.
Has anyone heard anything else about the plans for these sites, and the consequences of such developments?
Oh christ no..........
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:11 pm

Tsunami required

Haz
barnacle

Post by Haz » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:19 pm

Fuuuuuck that. I predict a re-development deal from Cape Schanck to St Andrews within the next 10 years. Time to get the hell outta there...

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:34 pm

Time to buy a gun maybe.

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:03 pm

Ive heard there is a job going for somebody who is handy with an axe.Lots of trees need to make way for highrises!
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:49 pm

Look I don't mean to be a cold realist here but... what the fcuk are you gonna do about it?

No magical wizard is gonna come down from the mountains and zap these fcukers you know.

And Roy's suggestion about buying a gun ... well that's just fcuken facetious ... unless you want to go to jail for 30 years.

Straight up. Surfing Australia isn't gonna help you. Surfrider Foundation might help you a little bit but it's a tiny organisation that runs on hands-on effort from locals where it counts. The surf mags will run a story online and maybe a follow-up ... and local politicians etc won't give a fcuk anyway.

If you want to make a difference here then you're gonna have to get together with every single like-minded person and get to work, hard, without any guarantee of success, for years.

The biggest thing you've got going for you is that I bet there are heaps of Australians all around the nation, especially on the east coasts and in Vicco, who have a deep emotional connection with caravan/camping parks and what they represent -- the easy going family holiday up or down the coast without paying $400 a day to some cnut who runs a 15 storey security locked apartment complex on a piece of land that'll probably disappear under rising sea levels by 2120.

You think this is terrible, well then step up.

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:12 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Look I don't mean to be a cold realist here but... what the fcuk are you gonna do about it?

No magical wizard is gonna come down from the mountains and zap these fcukers you know.

And Roy's suggestion about buying a gun ... well that's just fcuken facetious ... unless you want to go to jail for 30 years.

Straight up. Surfing Australia isn't gonna help you. Surfrider Foundation might help you a little bit but it's a tiny organisation that runs on hands-on effort from locals where it counts. The surf mags will run a story online and maybe a follow-up ... and local politicians etc won't give a fcuk anyway.

If you want to make a difference here then you're gonna have to get together with every single like-minded person and get to work, hard, without any guarantee of success, for years.

The biggest thing you've got going for you is that I bet there are heaps of Australians all around the nation, especially on the east coasts and in Vicco, who have a deep emotional connection with caravan/camping parks and what they represent -- the easy going family holiday up or down the coast without paying $400 a day to some cnut who runs a 15 storey security locked apartment complex on a piece of land that'll probably disappear under rising sea levels by 2120.

Jeeesssus, Mr Cranky Pants... you missed a deadline or something??

monkey
regular

Post by monkey » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:01 pm

Animal_Chin wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:Look I don't mean to be a cold realist here but... what the fcuk are you gonna do about it?

Jeeesssus, Mr Cranky Pants... you missed a deadline or something??
Only the deadline for saving this country from becoming from being one big, over-developed, mall wasteland!
As Nick said, do something! A fed election in a few weeks - Vote Green! Guarranteed to get some kind of support from them. Look at the SALT campaign in West Oz.
Whinging alone will do nothing

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:10 pm

Hatchman wrote:
contorx wrote:Found this in the Age yesterday....its so f%cked.

Oh christ no..........
So, I've finally found something good our state gov't has done. They put some sort of caveat on the caravan parks in Caloundra preventing development of them for at least 20 (40?) years, just recently.
However, on the down side they're pushing rwo massive new suburbs (small cities really) at Caloundra South (out on the highway, south to Bells Creek Rd) and at Palmview which adjoins the SC Uni precinct. And they've taken the local council's maximum residences number and made it the MINIMUM. And eliminated the buffer zones to the highway and current green zones (read mosquito breeding areas).
Fu(k state governments.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

shish
regular

Post by shish » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:42 pm

who was complaining when your houses were built ?
yeehaa!

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:59 pm

One of the things about my little part of that the world is that there are numerous caravan parks. They line the foreshore from Rye to Rosebud and they are dotted about Flinders, Balnarring, Shoreham etc....

Developers have greedily eyed them off for years as they sit on some of the most prized real estate in Victoria.

Nick can respect what you're saying mate. Reality. Dose. Cold hard. I get it and I would definitely be prepared to =fight for this. I love Flinders, it is a beautiful part of the world, one of the first settlements in coastal Victoria and it has a natural beauty to it that you won't find just anywhere. There has been massive cross hairs on it though, particularly the old naval base at West Head.

However it may not happen. Some greedy cnut tried this at the old Post Office site at Shoreham and the residents went beserk as the proposal was similar, tear down the site, build apartments a shopping centre etc... They fought the bastard for ages, took it to the Civil Administration Tribunal etc... and it hasn't gotten up.

The thing I don't get though is that Flinders, like Shoreham, is not like the Northern Beaches of Sydney. In winter it is windy and fcuking cold. Hardly the place for retirees, there is not much to do there unless you surf and the beaches aren't very good, very rocky, full of seaweed etc.... Or maybe that is the appeal.... In summer though it is pristine, like most of the Mornington Peninsula really, the amount of tourists that come down my way is phenomenal, the small businesses love it, the rest of us hate it. One can only hope if these developments happen, that they are filled by mostly seasonal people - and that all the fat, useless cnuts that fill them drown out in the water when they try and take the waves on when the bigger swells come through.

I can see myself moving eastwards over micals way within the next 10 years
shish wrote:who was complaining when your houses were built ?
Good point, can appreciate the irony of the situation.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:46 am

Fair comment, but when my suburb was built, the developer was required to include ALL infrastructure necessary for the suburb's existence. There are large amounts of green areas, parks all through which are maintained still by the developer with some input from council. Still some years away from the council taking over all responsibility.
We have a full range of wildlife including kangaroos, owls, black swans, possums (and canetoads :twisted: )
I accept we must make room for population growth but it must be managed sensibly.
Seems to be happening less and less.
As I said above, council appears to want to do the right thing, State Gov't overrides them.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:31 am

A call to inaction from shish. Can't agree.

These caravan parks provide most of the cheap housing that has long since passed away under the hand of developers.

This is an attack on the poorer end of the community, for the benefit of developers, local government, state government and the wealthy generally.

Fight it now if you want to keep it.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:35 pm

All children and families should be able to enjoy the inexpensiveness, freedom and location of caravan parks for a family holiday.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

moondoggie
regular

Post by moondoggie » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:01 pm

PEOPLE POWER...

Has had some success with repelling the developers with their tails between their legs at

Catherine Hill bay

and

Sandon point.

LOCALS were able to reject the developments outright.

....Then there was Freshy Reef ... not such a great outcome but it just goes to show that WITH a bunch of illogical, emotive outcry , YOU CAN GET A RESULT .All repeat after me

"WE JUST DON'T WANT IT !!".

iT WORKED AT fRESHWATER, GOOD LUCK IN VICO.
8)
"I JUST SPENT 6 MONTHS BUYING LEAKY BOATS
2O MILLION BUYING BOATS
GLOBAL WARMINGS CRAP
SO BURNING 'EMS JUST ANOTHER 20 MILLION UP IN SMOKE"
Apologies to Tim Finn

Squidlips
barnacle

Post by Squidlips » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:11 pm

just start a rumour there will be A 'wind generator' built there.

then 160,000 thick a$$ gippslanders will be running around screaming and petitioning for them not to build anything on it at all.