poor eyesight

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

go hard
Grommet

poor eyesight

Post by go hard » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:37 pm

Any one with any suggestions regarding poor eyesight.Being short sighted & always haveing trouble seeing in the water without glasses,what do other people do, any one use contacts in the water and are they the go. Any feed back would be gr8. I do still get my share of waves but to me its all about different shades of water[sets].And if I dont say hey its because I cant recognise you.Cheers.

aaronn
barnacle

Re: poor eyesight

Post by aaronn » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:52 pm

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:50 pm

omg...OMG....OMG

I clicked on a link from aaronn

and it was relevent :shock:

MODS...quick make this a sticky....FIRST TIME EVA :lol:

surgery should ALLWAYS be cosider a last case fix it

but i can't help ya with any other advice

my missus is short sighted and needs glasses...i'm holding out

could end in devorce she sees wat she sleeps next too :shock:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:05 pm

I reckon it was a fluke fonga. A broken clock is right twice a day..

PS - I think I need my eyes checked. The rabbitoes are winning... :)

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:38 pm

Can we try and stay on topic wooly? We're giving sh#t to aaronn....:)

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:18 pm

Yup my eyes are most certainly failing me....I thought you said aaronn has credibility here on realsurf?

go hard
Grommet

Post by go hard » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:48 am

I may not be getting any tips on contacts ect but gee Im gunna be able to talk some shit

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:13 pm

My missus had laser eye surgery and claims its like having a ball and chain removed. The first thing she did when we got out of their was buy a decent set of sunglasses, defo worth considering. She wore a single contact for a month or so, that gets your brain used to having two eyes working differently, then down to newy for the op, which took less than an hour.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:58 pm

One of my friends got the laser done and ended up in hospital for 2 weeks with a very bad eye infection. It prob doesn't happen lots, but it can happen.

I only got one working eye, so although my eye sight is below average in the 'good' one I been told I can't risk the laser. If my eyesight deteriorates heaps,I'll look into some sort of hillarious looking goggles.

Remember kiddies: It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then it's still fun and games but with a slight loss of depth perception.

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:09 pm

Surfing injury topher?

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:48 am

Nah - broken since birth so I've never missed it.

grazza
Local

Post by grazza » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:20 am

Contacts work really well but it does take time to work out how to put the bastards in.

I've had the laser done many years ago which worked about 90% but not perfect, and I still needed glasses. I think they're a lot more accurate now.

As I got older the eyes deteriorated, and I finally bit the bullet and went down the contact route, and I'm really happy with them now. Find a good, patient optometrist who's prepared spend as much time as you need as you work out the insertion process. It took me a couple of months to get reasonably comfortable, and probably six months before I got it right pretty much every time. I've had to train myself to keep the eyes shut as I duckdive as well. There's been the odd problem with infections, especially in the early days when you tend to be ham-fisted - if you do go contacts, be religious about cleaning your hands before you stick them in your eyes. So good to be able to see well in the waves, though.

maraetai
Grommet

Post by maraetai » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:56 am

I use contacts while surfing and wear glasses generally. My eyes aren't suitable for laser surgery. I buy the weekly use ones so they are not too expensive and its not a big deal if one comes out in the surf.Ocassionally you lose one but not often. An additional benefit of contacts lenses for surfers, is you can get them with UV protection. Even if your sight is perfect you could get some to wear while surfing to protect your eyes from the glare.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:40 am

One reason Fong might need glasses to help him recognise what is in the water with him :D
Bar Fin.jpg
Look behind you,
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:21 pm

a mate of mine who has a bit to do with Japan and married a Japanese gal went over there do see some family, do some business, surf and while there he got his eyes done really cheaply compared to Australia.
only a couple of thousand or something.
he surfs the patch at cronulla.
first surf afterwards and he said he could recognise faces at the point. (50-100m away).
i am considering getting the same thing done.
i would hazard a guess that surfing semi blurred is really screwing with my progress in surfing.
especially island, besides one day i ran over 3 pro surfers, i bail on waves (case in point the vid in the boogers section)thinking they are closeouts when the are really makable because i cant make out whats happening way ahead down the line.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:02 pm

go hard wrote:Any one with any suggestions regarding poor eyesight.Being short sighted & always haveing trouble seeing in the water without glasses,what do other people do, any one use contacts in the water and are they the go. Any feed back would be gr8. I do still get my share of waves but to me its all about different shades of water[sets].And if I dont say hey its because I cant recognise you.Cheers.
I used to wear my contacts in the water, did it for years and probably only lost a couple during that process but gave it up about a year ago when I got both of them blasted out getting smashed on a big day. I found that after it happened I enjoyed the surf more as I no longer had to close my eyes under the water which can be a bit disorientating in large surf as you tend to take longer to surface. MInd you the drive home was a pretty dangerous experience as my eyesight is sh.it

Not wearing them makes it harder to read the swell but not impossible, will probably have to go back to wearing them one day when I get a lot older but for now I'll just enjoy not needing them
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

go hard
Grommet

Post by go hard » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:24 pm

Thats exactly what Im talking about when your out in the surf and some guys waving at you and your thinking who the f... is that guy waving at .I also recogise incoming sets by differnt shades of water,when it does get big I usually get snapped because Im usually to slow to react to incoming bombs and wear them on the head.People must thing im a dickhead becaue i quite often ignore them because i just cant recognise them without glasses.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:52 am

go hard wrote:Thats exactly what Im talking about when your out in the surf and some guys waving at you and your thinking who the f... is that guy waving at .I also recogise incoming sets by differnt shades of water,when it does get big I usually get snapped because Im usually to slow to react to incoming bombs and wear them on the head.People must thing im a dickhead becaue i quite often ignore them because i just cant recognise them without glasses.
Yeah it's not easy, but over time though I've found that I can now manage without too any problems.

I once thought about wearing goggles, seen people do that before, and on a small day you could get away with it, but on a big day they'll probably get blown off your head.

Sounds like your eyesight may be worse than mine, maybe try getting some prescription goggles? Pretty sure you can get something like that so as long as you tether them to the wetty you can put them back on after getting smashed...
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love