poor eyesight

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Squidlips
barnacle

Re: poor eyesight

Post by Squidlips » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:46 pm

I use disposable contact lenses.

They never come out in the surf when duckdiving (although you have to close your lids) and never have any problems when surfacing.

They are a good cheap way to have hawk vision in the surf. When I first put them in I was unstoppable in the surf. Where I was previously having to watch for horizon changes to determine the size and direction of sets, I could now see the sets approaching from miles away and position myself for the peaches a lot sooner.

You will have problems taking them out at first, and always take the 'how to put them in and take them out' lesson with your optometrist.

alternatively a friend snagged one of the tiger air $90 tickets to KL (singapore) deals and is having his eyes done there for $10k less than in australia....

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:03 pm

maraetai wrote:My eyes aren't suitable for laser surgery.
Same. I could have had them done, but required the older scrape method because of thin corneas, and the end result was that I would have had to wear a different type of glasses anyway. There was no way I was going to get it done unless it meant that I could throw out the glasses.

Now as all my mates are losing their close vision, mine is perfect, but I have to take my glasses off, can't read with them on.
maraetai wrote: I buy the weekly use ones so they are not too expensive and its not a big deal if one comes out in the surf. An additional benefit of contacts lenses for surfers, is you can get them with UV protection.
Yeah I may go down that path next visit to the optometrist. Well worth considering, although comments about difficulty in getting them in is making me wonder. What the hell. Those weekly ones sound worthwhile.

Quotes on laser surgery were about $2500 per eye a few years ago. I would be sceptical about going o/s on the cheap. They are your eyes FFS.

Would be very surprised if it has more than doubled in price since I had a check-up. Makes the claim of saving over $10k sound a bit hard to believe.

It would be nice to have good vision while out surfing.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:05 pm

Squidlips wrote:I use disposable contact lenses.

They never come out in the surf when duckdiving (although you have to close your lids) and never have any problems when surfacing.
i lost mine in the water a couple of times; they stay in? :x

go hard
Grommet

Post by go hard » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:44 pm

Just been to opsm and they tell me disposable contacts are the go it cost about $40 first up fitting then you can buy lots of 4o for about $50 and 90 for around $110 .I think this is the path Ill follow and I hope Ill be unstopable too.To be able to see in the surf would be insane,look out grommies

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:08 pm

Great Good luck with it! I can't do contacts either so I've got to put up with my bad vision.

So when I say "look out grommies" it means LOOK OUT!!!! :oops:

Squidlips
barnacle

Post by Squidlips » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:44 pm

get the fitting, script and lesson from OPSM, then get the second packet of contacts from an online store as they are almost half price.

btw you will get a 20% discount with OPSM if your a RACV member.