It's 5am in J-Bay.

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: It's 5am in J-Bay.

Post by alakaboo » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:41 am

steve shearer wrote:judges should be harsher on any uneccessary flapping, hopping, half turns, mini turns, set-up turns, double pumping, flailing recoveries, mistimed turns, unemphatic cutbacks, waving arms, dodgy stances etc etc.
the hopping and the high-lining (Dan Ross) are the j-bay bugbears for me.
i want them to make it look effortless, not like they're racing to keep up with the lip and are pining for a whip-in.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:48 am

black duck wrote:http://www.billabongpro.com/jbay10/

There you go old's, ya lazy old cnut :mrgreen:
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!

Thanks! :mrgreen:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:11 am

No way Reynolds will do better than 5th place. I blame Shearer / Carrol for starting all this messiah crap. :wink:
I just don't see / buy / get it? All I have ever seen has been a great free surfer with a teenage chip on his shoulder. Prediction - he won't win an ASP event all year. :shock:

Jordy will make the final and create more anticiaption of South African nationalistic pride than Matt Damon's box head accent ever could have in Invictus.

People of all colour will put their hands around each other in anticipation, hoping for the handjob finish of the '95 Rugby world Cup that soccer failed to deliver despite the country spending 200 million dollars worth of Sierra Leone conflict diamonds to fund it. Then when Fanning, Slater or Taj wins everyone will all of a sudden feel a little uncomortable and put their hands back in their pockets and go

"Yeah....mkay" :|

Still, second place ain't bad. :wink:
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

aaronn
barnacle

Post by aaronn » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:03 am

kelly's board looked flat and skittish
tiago pires was outstanding
that joubert guy was wow!
roy powers was abysmal

Hano
Local

Post by Hano » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:43 am

aaronn wrote: that joubert guy was wow!
my thoughts too.
cant remember if it was his second or third wave but he pulled 2 of the cleanest drawn carves in succession that even Curren would've been proud of

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:34 pm

Riddle me this... watched the Dane heat and thought that Marco Polo's first wave was a cracker. 4 or 5 barrels linked with carves and turns for only a 7.4. What's the go there? Did he need to have less tubes but more time in them? Turns not rotated enough?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:36 pm

Pretty much.
And 2 of the 4 tubes were pretty much head-dips.
It was fairly scored.

The difference in top turn committment and rotation between Marco and Dane was night and day.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:35 pm

clay wrote:Riddle me this... watched the Dane heat and thought that Marco Polo's first wave was a cracker. 4 or 5 barrels linked with carves and turns for only a 7.4. What's the go there? Did he need to have less tubes but more time in them? Turns not rotated enough?
I thought he spent to much time standing around waiting for lips to go over his head, stalling and the like. His timing was off in that he didn't link barrels with any decent turns. I thought his turns later on were a little mistimed and slightly off balance as well. I would have been claiming my tits off after getting that wave, but I don't think it was top ASP tour worthy.

I'll put some money on a huge air or two from Dane if the size drops off a little. Maybe a huge air connecting a section which he then demolishes or gets a cover-up. Super excited to watch round 3!
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

gra
Grommet

Post by gra » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:59 pm

Best commentary call? Occy complimenting Nate Yeoman's (I think) natural affinity with the wave: “He's taken to J-Bay like candy to a baby”. Pure comic gold.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:05 pm

God Occ is hilarious. Its like he knows that sometimes whats going on in his head isn't always appropriate, and then he sais it anyway in an uneasy way, saying what hes thinking a little too much...LOL

I laughed so hard when I watched Occy being interviewed on compass (?) on ABC. He was commenting on not being able to have kids with his first wife and said something like "well the screw just didn't fit the hole you know.....*laughs* sorry, I mean we just didn't fit in the right way... *laughs* sorry mate, can I say that?". (Something like that but not exactly, it was hilarious)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:28 pm

It's interesting to me how everyone is laughing at [or with ?] Occy. I like Occy's commentary but is this a professional act for a professional sport? Could you imagine such commentary at other professional sporting events? People would be baying for his incompetent blood. I guess that is what sets surfing apart from those other sports. But is it also what prevents professional surfing being taken seriously by unfamiliar/new sports fans (i.e. not familiar with Occy) and some big business sponsors? It scream amateurism. Good for us but good for the growth of "the sport"?

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:37 pm

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:50 pm

Clif wrote:It's interesting to me how everyone is laughing at [or with ?] Occy. I like Occy's commentary but is this a professional act for a professional sport? Could you imagine such commentary at other professional sporting events? People would be baying for his incompetent blood. I guess that is what sets surfing apart from those other sports. But is it also what prevents professional surfing being taken seriously by unfamiliar/new sports fans (i.e. not familiar with Occy) and some big business sponsors? It scream amateurism. Good for us but good for the growth of "the sport"?
At times I cringe & hope that there's someone there about to give him the hook (like from side-stage Loony Tunes style), but it certainly can be funny to listen to. His spots on Fuel TV are almost as awkward to watch & they're actually scripted.

Maybe that's the charm of the guy. He may not be terribly professional but I'd rather be listening to someone like him than some of the clowns considered more professional. Let's line him up alongside Rabbits Warren, Phil Gould, Gordon Bray or John Alexander. I'll take Occ over any of those blowhards.

gra
Grommet

Post by gra » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:35 pm

nothing against Luke Egan, easily in my top five goofys of all time, but if he says 'committed' one more time I'll...(oh, hang on he just said it again ... and again ... fark.) Still, commentating would be a tough gig for any amateur.

sean doherty

Post by sean doherty » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:50 pm

Occy in the commentary booth and a cutaway shot of a solitary seagull in between sets. Twist the top off your beer, sit back, and enjoy. It doesn't get any better.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:53 pm

Clif wrote:Could you imagine such commentary at other professional sporting events? People would be baying for his incompetent blood.
You obviously haven't heard Paul Vautin commentating on rugby league. :lol:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

aaronn
barnacle

Post by aaronn » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:08 pm

water angle of jay thompson's 10 pointer :!:

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:37 pm

Ummmm....has anyone watched Bede's Rd 2 heat from very late yesterday afternoon?

What's that in the water in front of him?
bede.JPG