Bali - 1st time, be gentle

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

kruff
Grommet

Bali - 1st time, be gentle

Post by kruff » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:59 pm

Shock horror, I've been surfing about 12 years and am probably the only Aussie surfer who has never been to Bali :oops: . Lot's of Oz coastal trips but never been to Indo ... yet. A mate and I have managed to leave our wives and persistant toddlers behind for a meager 1 week trip and have booked for last week in July. Done a fair bit of research and for our intermediate ability and pathetic fitness level, we'll be in Medewi for 4 days. Looking at spending the other 3 days in Canggu or Berawa. I know they're next door to one another.

Anyone surfed Berawa beach and can recommend accom in either Canggu or Berawa. or any other suggestions for 3 days.

Please try keep the smart arse comments to a maximum of 3 per page!!

kruff
Grommet

Re: Bali - 1st time, be gentle

Post by kruff » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:04 pm

ok, let's make it 4 per page, but Iam honestly after some constructive thoughts. As much as we love to do nothing else but roam and explore the island for 3 months, with no plan, living in the bush and eating mosquito's and live chickens for breakfast, the reality is we only have 7 days and can't lose a heap of time travelling. Also realise it is a possibilty that we could get no surf for the week :shock:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:18 pm

Hang at Chungas or Balian.
Too easy Campese.
I take the fam to Chungas and use it as a base.
Stay at an Indo joint called Taman Dayu.
Hire a bike and go surfing.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:16 pm

Stay as far away from Kuta main drag as you can. Maybe go there once after you have become really settled just so you understand what is wrong with the joint. Then stay as far away from it as possible but you wont need to be told that.

Check out Seminyak for a feed. Make sure you go for a cruise out to the bukit at least once.
Have a walk when your over Medewi way. If you want to tourist it out theres interesting stuff in the mountains behind there and Tannah Lot is on the way back to the bukit.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:33 pm

Beanpole wrote:Stay as far away from Kuta main drag as you can. Maybe go there once after you have become really settled just so you understand what is wrong with the joint. Then stay as far away from it as possible but you wont need to be told that.

Check out Seminyak for a feed. Make sure you go for a cruise out to the bukit at least once.
Have a walk when your over Medewi way. If you want to tourist it out theres interesting stuff in the mountains behind there and Tannah Lot is on the way back to the bukit.
kruff wrote:Shock horror, I've been surfing about 12 years and am probably the only Aussie surfer who has never been to Bali :oops: . Lot's of Oz coastal trips but never been to Indo ... yet. A mate and I have managed to leave our wives and persistant toddlers behind for a meager 1 week trip and have booked for last week in July. Done a fair bit of research and for our intermediate ability and pathetic fitness level, we'll be in Medewi for 4 days. Looking at spending the other 3 days in Canggu or Berawa. I know they're next door to one another.

Anyone surfed Berawa beach and can recommend accom in either Canggu or Berawa. or any other suggestions for 3 days.

Please try keep the smart arse comments to a maximum of 3 per page!!
Next time take your wife and slightly older than toddler children you will get lots of love from the locals ( they will respect you more particularly away from Kuta.
One down side of wifes there is lots of things they can spend on.
Some love Bali some will go out on an I hate the third worldliness of it.

learn to stick to tidak for anything you don't want and never ever use the word maybe.
I recommend Indo Surf Lingo use a smile as often as possible and make your bartering a conversation about good things and not an argument.
Have fun :D
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

kruff
Grommet

Post by kruff » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:37 pm

Thanks for all the great tips. I know we're in for something special any which way. Have had major trouble sleeping since booking the ticket, thinking of all the unique experiences ahead. The next 2 weeks can go by fast enough!! Been dreaming about this trip for years and years.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:58 pm

Good stuff Kruff. Feeling envious. Spent 5 days in Medewi this time last year with a bunch of families/friends for my *#th b'day. Had a ball. And some nice mellow waves to boot.
A truly generous and hospitable local Muslim community.
A suggestion: Take any unwanted gear - leggies, board bags, springsuits, even an old board if you have room and donate to the locals at the Medewi Board riders hut outside the Beach Cottages. You'll have friends for life. Try and get to know a few too and you may get invited back to their place for a seafood feast. They mostly fish for a living and the young groms are some of the hottest surfers around. Although it breaks over rocks and not reef it's still gnarly on the entry with ultra sharp oyster covered rocks, so booties are still the go.
And do get yourself a copy of Indo Surf and Lingo for the plane trip at least , and practice a bit of basic lingo.
Have fun.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:39 am

When the swell comes, GET OUT OF BALI. It took me a trip to figure it out. 2nd time the charm.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

Squidlips
barnacle

Post by Squidlips » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:44 pm

If your going there to surf, hire a motorbike/ car and go to the Bukit.

Stay there for the week.

check out some surf pics of padang-padang, impossibles, bingin and uluwatu

all have fkn cheap accomodation.