that wetsuit discussion...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: Butts, beach_defender, Shari, collnarra, Forum Moderators

Beerfan
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 8728
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by Beerfan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:49 am

How's a zen zip work? Quick Google shows it looks like a back zip.
we are the angry mob
We read the papers everyday
We like who we like, we hate who we hate
But we're also easily swayed

alakaboo
Duke Status
Posts: 17390
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by alakaboo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:56 am

The Zen part is that you don't have to listen to any old blokes try and figure it out in the carpark, because the flap is fixed.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 20450
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Newport Beach

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:17 pm

I was going to say. Like how do any of you manage to get out of bed in the mornings. "Oh God what are these shoe things with their unbearably complex 'laces'!" "Oh dear! I am likely to fall down the 'stairs'!"

User avatar
Grooter
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 9998
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 12:37 pm
Location: Titan Uranus

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by Grooter » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:19 pm

swvic wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:31 pm
Yeah, the flashbombs are good. That's what I'll get if Torquay don't have oneill's. I believe they have reinstated the back zip as an option. Must have realised there's plenty of old farts like me and unco tards like shearer in the market
Hope life is good, you bulked up eating machine

Backzip all day every day. Tried a chest zip once and hated it. Not sure what a zen zip is and can't be arsed finding out!

Life is good, work is good, but super-busy these days so my time on here has been pretty limited in the last few years.

Flinders was bloody nice this morning
smnmntll wrote:my "inner city apartment" is about 3 minutes' walk from the beach
Meanwhile planes drop from the sky, people disappear and bullets fly. Little grey men are coming our way, "Tastes just like chicken", they say :o

Beerfan
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 8728
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by Beerfan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:30 pm

alakaboo wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:56 am
The Zen part is that you don't have to listen to any old blokes try and figure it out in the carpark, because the flap is fixed.
Ok. I have enough shoulder flexibility to use a back zip so I'll stick to it for now
we are the angry mob
We read the papers everyday
We like who we like, we hate who we hate
But we're also easily swayed

User avatar
swvic
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 7102
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by swvic » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:56 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:17 pm
I was going to say. Like how do any of you manage to get out of bed in the mornings. "Oh God what are these shoe things with their unbearably complex 'laces'!" "Oh dear! I am likely to fall down the 'stairs'!"
I was a bit like that after starting work here. My work boots were always elastic sided slip-on. Now I'm required to have zips and laces. And the laces are complex - made out of some new fangled synthetic shit that no matter what you do, they come undone. I risk falling over as I stand to go for lunch
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

User avatar
swvic
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 7102
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by swvic » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:58 pm

Grooter wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:19 pm
swvic wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:31 pm
Yeah, the flashbombs are good. That's what I'll get if Torquay don't have oneill's. I believe they have reinstated the back zip as an option. Must have realised there's plenty of old farts like me and unco tards like shearer in the market
Hope life is good, you bulked up eating machine

Backzip all day every day. Tried a chest zip once and hated it. Not sure what a zen zip is and can't be arsed finding out!

Life is good, work is good, but super-busy these days so my time on here has been pretty limited in the last few years.

Flinders was bloody nice this morning
Which piece of rock did you surf above? Big Left is one of your regular haunts IIRC
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

User avatar
Cranked
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 7043
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:52 am
Location: Willetton

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by Cranked » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:59 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:17 pm
I was going to say. Like how do any of you manage to get out of bed in the mornings. "Oh God what are these shoe things with their unbearably complex 'laces'!" "Oh dear! I am likely to fall down the 'stairs'!"
Laces! Don't get me started.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

User avatar
petulance
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 20522
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Salford Lads' Club

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by petulance » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:08 pm

Grooter wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:19 pm
Backzip all day every day. Tried a chest zip once and hated it.
Not you too, my brother. You aren't at the geriatric stage yet.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

ctd
barnacle
Posts: 1498
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:49 pm

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by ctd » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:14 pm

Cranked wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:59 pm
Nick Carroll wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:17 pm
I was going to say. Like how do any of you manage to get out of bed in the mornings. "Oh God what are these shoe things with their unbearably complex 'laces'!" "Oh dear! I am likely to fall down the 'stairs'!"
Laces! Don't get me started.
https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knots.htm

User avatar
steve shearer
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 24308
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by steve shearer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:18 pm

Look at the backzippers coming out of the woodwork now that the dreadful hegemony of the "fashion" chest zip has been dissipated.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 20450
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Newport Beach

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:37 pm

Yeah it's like the Return of the Jedi, if the Jedi were all a bit old and prone to falling over their laces

User avatar
Legion
Duke Status
Posts: 12766
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:21 pm

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by Legion » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:16 pm

...
Last edited by Legion on Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alakaboo
Duke Status
Posts: 17390
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by alakaboo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:53 pm

Wrong Wonka
Image

Rustt
barnacle
Posts: 1767
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:23 pm

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by Rustt » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:11 pm

swvic wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:54 am
buddy wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:19 am
I tried the 3/2 thing in winter through Vic. Went back to get a 4/3 for the following winter. Doesn't get you through the cold days when you sit and wait for extended periods.
Yeah I know. Might mean very short surfs. I'll also have a hooded vest and booties. Trying to find a smooth skin hooded vest is proving extremely difficult. I know they're meant for under your wettie, but I reckon over is better. Any water leaking through the face doesn't then run straight down your neck. No need to explain why I desire the smooth skin

Thinking of lashing out on a top of the range Oneill zen zip. Can't seem to find cheap prices for them though. Maybe worth a run over to Torquay after the summer hordes leave in a few weeks. Never had an Oneill so need to try on for sizing
I've got a top of the line 4/3 O'neill Zen $700rrp, Ive had Oneills for a few years now, Quality is real good now and they are warm as toast and great movement, Highly recommend.

User avatar
Grooter
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 9998
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 12:37 pm
Location: Titan Uranus

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by Grooter » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:15 pm

swvic wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:58 pm
Grooter wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:19 pm
swvic wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:31 pm
Yeah, the flashbombs are good. That's what I'll get if Torquay don't have oneill's. I believe they have reinstated the back zip as an option. Must have realised there's plenty of old farts like me and unco tards like shearer in the market
Hope life is good, you bulked up eating machine

Backzip all day every day. Tried a chest zip once and hated it. Not sure what a zen zip is and can't be arsed finding out!

Life is good, work is good, but super-busy these days so my time on here has been pretty limited in the last few years.

Flinders was bloody nice this morning
Which piece of rock did you surf above? Big Left is one of your regular haunts IIRC
Gunnery these days when surfing before work. The cliff has eroded at Big Left now and it is a real bitch getting down hanging onto a piece of rope, not to mention the long paddle out. Big Left has to be a 2 hour session to be worth it
smnmntll wrote:my "inner city apartment" is about 3 minutes' walk from the beach
Meanwhile planes drop from the sky, people disappear and bullets fly. Little grey men are coming our way, "Tastes just like chicken", they say :o

User avatar
Grooter
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 9998
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 12:37 pm
Location: Titan Uranus

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by Grooter » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:16 pm

petulance wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:08 pm
Grooter wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:19 pm
Backzip all day every day. Tried a chest zip once and hated it.
Not you too, my brother. You aren't at the geriatric stage yet.
It's more a patience thing and I've had a backzip for nigh on 30 years. They work. In a world of constant change I like my wetties to be backzipped!
smnmntll wrote:my "inner city apartment" is about 3 minutes' walk from the beach
Meanwhile planes drop from the sky, people disappear and bullets fly. Little grey men are coming our way, "Tastes just like chicken", they say :o

User avatar
Grooter
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 9998
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 12:37 pm
Location: Titan Uranus

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by Grooter » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:17 pm

Legion wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:16 pm
petulance wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:08 pm
Grooter wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:19 pm
Backzip all day every day. Tried a chest zip once and hated it.
Not you too, my brother. You aren't at the geriatric stage yet.
Grooter struggles for other reasons.

Image
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
smnmntll wrote:my "inner city apartment" is about 3 minutes' walk from the beach
Meanwhile planes drop from the sky, people disappear and bullets fly. Little grey men are coming our way, "Tastes just like chicken", they say :o

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests