that wetsuit discussion...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Grooter
Duke Status

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by Grooter » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:19 pm

swvic wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:31 pm
Yeah, the flashbombs are good. That's what I'll get if Torquay don't have oneill's. I believe they have reinstated the back zip as an option. Must have realised there's plenty of old farts like me and unco tards like shearer in the market
Hope life is good, you bulked up eating machine

Backzip all day every day. Tried a chest zip once and hated it. Not sure what a zen zip is and can't be arsed finding out!

Life is good, work is good, but super-busy these days so my time on here has been pretty limited in the last few years.

Flinders was bloody nice this morning
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:30 pm

alakaboo wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:56 am
The Zen part is that you don't have to listen to any old blokes try and figure it out in the carpark, because the flap is fixed.
Ok. I have enough shoulder flexibility to use a back zip so I'll stick to it for now

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:56 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:17 pm
I was going to say. Like how do any of you manage to get out of bed in the mornings. "Oh God what are these shoe things with their unbearably complex 'laces'!" "Oh dear! I am likely to fall down the 'stairs'!"
I was a bit like that after starting work here. My work boots were always elastic sided slip-on. Now I'm required to have zips and laces. And the laces are complex - made out of some new fangled synthetic shit that no matter what you do, they come undone. I risk falling over as I stand to go for lunch
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:58 pm

Grooter wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:19 pm
swvic wrote:
Yeah, the flashbombs are good. That's what I'll get if Torquay don't have oneill's. I believe they have reinstated the back zip as an option. Must have realised there's plenty of old farts like me and unco tards like shearer in the market

Backzip all day every day. Tried a chest zip once and hated it. Not sure what a zen zip is and can't be arsed finding out!

Life is good, work is good, but super-busy these days so my time on here has been pretty limited in the last few years.

Which piece of rock did you surf above? Big Left is one of your regular haunts IIRC
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:59 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
I was going to say. Like how do any of you manage to get out of bed in the mornings. "Oh God what are these shoe things with their unbearably complex 'laces'!" "Oh dear! I am likely to fall down the 'stairs'!"
Laces! Don't get me started.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:08 pm

Grooter wrote:
Backzip all day every day. Tried a chest zip once and hated it.
Not you too, my brother. You aren't at the geriatric stage yet.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:14 pm

Cranked wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:59 pm
Nick Carroll wrote:
Laces! Don't get me started.
https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knots.htm

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:18 pm

Look at the backzippers coming out of the woodwork now that the dreadful hegemony of the "fashion" chest zip has been dissipated.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:37 pm

Yeah it's like the Return of the Jedi, if the Jedi were all a bit old and prone to falling over their laces

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:16 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:53 pm

Wrong Wonka

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:11 pm

swvic wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:54 am
buddy wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:19 am
I tried the 3/2 thing in winter through Vic. Went back to get a 4/3 for the following winter. Doesn't get you through the cold days when you sit and wait for extended periods.
Yeah I know. Might mean very short surfs. I'll also have a hooded vest and booties. Trying to find a smooth skin hooded vest is proving extremely difficult. I know they're meant for under your wettie, but I reckon over is better. Any water leaking through the face doesn't then run straight down your neck. No need to explain why I desire the smooth skin

Thinking of lashing out on a top of the range Oneill zen zip. Can't seem to find cheap prices for them though. Maybe worth a run over to Torquay after the summer hordes leave in a few weeks. Never had an Oneill so need to try on for sizing
I've got a top of the line 4/3 O'neill Zen $700rrp, Ive had Oneills for a few years now, Quality is real good now and they are warm as toast and great movement, Highly recommend.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:15 pm

swvic wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:58 pm
Grooter wrote:
swvic wrote:

Which piece of rock did you surf above? Big Left is one of your regular haunts IIRC
Gunnery these days when surfing before work. The cliff has eroded at Big Left now and it is a real bitch getting down hanging onto a piece of rope, not to mention the long paddle out. Big Left has to be a 2 hour session to be worth it
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:16 pm

petulance wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:08 pm
Grooter wrote:
It's more a patience thing and I've had a backzip for nigh on 30 years. They work. In a world of constant change I like my wetties to be backzipped!

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:17 pm

Legion wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:16 pm
petulance wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:08 pm
Grooter wrote:
Grooter struggles for other reasons.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:10 pm

You got reamed rusty.
My 3/2 was $220 from overseas, delivered.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:50 pm

Trev wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:35 am
Huh! I'd just cut it off.
The narrow flap which runs up inside the zipper does the job well enough.
Well yes Trev...but that's a pretty drastic solution to a design feature. Surely someone thought the big flappy elephants foreskin might need a bit of finessing.

Yeah, Fcuking laces :roll:
Don't get me started on shoe horns either.....alright, I have two.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:55 pm

My old RC ultimate elasto back zip had a poppered dog collar that would keep the batwing nicely in place. You could interchange it with the poppered hood if you were so minded. It is entirely consistent with my cost cutting hypothesis that this option should no longer be offered
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.