that wetsuit discussion...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by alakaboo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:40 am

Sold.
Thanks mate.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:17 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:56 pm

Nice choice, Legion. Have you used a chest zip before? Takes a couple of goes to get used to, but they are tops.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:10 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:25 am

I checked out that site. And found the coupons link but the uk price was 240 for the E bomb, or thereabouts. And that was the so called limited edition one. Is that what you've ordered? I'm figuring that'd be closer to about 400 aus dollar? How'd you get the coupon discount? And as far as sizes go are they equivalent to aus sizing?
I'm keen to follow up a purchase maybe. After I check them out in a store locally. I'm pretty brand loyal and my ripcurl 4/3 aquaban has lasted well for nearly 5 winters of moderate use. Well looked after though.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:23 am

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:32 am

Yeah, you bet, thanks Legion.

I found that coupon site via watersports site itself, and yeah, the middle option seemed to respond.
I'll follow up.. do a bit more research...
but keen to know how you go, so keep us posted when you get it. Trust it should be ok. Good luck.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:57 pm

Legion wrote:Yeah, I had an Xcel Drylock a few winter's ago. Something happened to one of the seams so I returned it at the end of two winter's ago and got a brand newie. Unfortunately, build quality was down on the new one and right from new it was leaking in the seam under the zip and one spot on the inner thigh so you'd get an occasional cold water flush. Also the seams in the neck entry are rapidly dying. Tape's ripping off and shortly it'll start to rip apart I reckon. I couldn't be bothered returning it so I'm getting this new one and I'll alternate the two to always have a dry one.

I've also got a chest zip springy from Seventh Wave. Hard to get into and hard to zip up but nice once on.

It was a toss up between the Rip Curl and the new O'Neill chest zip. I had an old Psycho 2 that I really liked but I won't go back to back zip. So the new chest zip model looked the goods. But you can't go wrong with Rip Curl, especially for the price. The O'Neill was under AU$250 to the front door though. Smoking deals.
Sweet. I have a F-Bomb from '06. It's still going strong. It's a back zip though, so i think i might just get new steamer this year. I got a Dunes springy with a chest zip. Goes real well, so i might get one of those or stay loyal to Rip Curl that has been so good to me for so long.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:09 pm

I got an Oneil Epic2 CT 3/2 online for 180 inc shipping from the US.
Very light and flexy, pretty warm. Very basic design, back zip can let in a bit of water when you get tumbled.
Still wearing it in Vic now and feeling nice and warm in 18 degree water - be a while I think before I wear my winter suit.

Check review:
http://www.tracksmag.com.au/the-rubber-room/index.html

And prices:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ct&x=0&y=0

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:07 pm

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:41 pm

Coops@DY wrote:Rip Curl F Bomb

That's it. I so want a wetsuit that makes me invisible. Absolutely futuristic. How do you think they do that????????????????

I treated myself to a long armed springy, Rip Curl Dawn Patrol (yeah, I thought Dawn Patrol was their steamer range, but there you go) in January this year. It was on special and I have only used it occasionally on the colder mornings in the last month.

It is so warm and the flexibility is the best I have tried in a wetsuit. It's like wearing a good fitting vest.

So that's inspired me to consider a good quality steamer for this winter. Can't go through too many more winters with the old ones I've got, and they do get stiff and less warm.

Will check radiator, it's a great time to b buying anything from overseas with our dollar so high, but I'm concerned about the fit. Aaaron sounds like he makes me look like a big fella but I have never bought a large in anything.

Appreciate all the feedback. Wetsuit discussions just about define the most useful part of the surfing website. Recommendations speak volumes for me.

Who else is buying new this year? Took a look at the Xcel infiniti and E-bomb/F-bomb series and hard to believe they are worth the excessive coin.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:47 pm

Might get a new rashie for this winter............ 8) :lol:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:19 pm

^^^It better be a full length rashie Trev :wink: Those sunny coast wintrers are unforgiving...
I'm heading over to Ireland (west coast) for a surf trip in October, I've got a good 3/2 with booties and and a good hotskin for south coast winters -I'm hoping this will get me through a northern hemi autumn.
I reckon I'll get one of those hood/hotskin combos to help me out (I feel the cold) - anyone know of any good/solid ones????

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:31 pm

oldman wrote:
Coops@DY wrote:Rip Curl F Bomb

That's it. I so want a wetsuit that makes me invisible. Absolutely futuristic. How do you think they do that????????????????

I treated myself to a long armed springy, Rip Curl Dawn Patrol (yeah, I thought Dawn Patrol was their steamer range, but there you go) in January this year. It was on special and I have only used it occasionally on the colder mornings in the last month.

It is so warm and the flexibility is the best I have tried in a wetsuit. It's like wearing a good fitting vest.

So that's inspired me to consider a good quality steamer for this winter. Can't go through too many more winters with the old ones I've got, and they do get stiff and less warm.

Will check radiator, it's a great time to b buying anything from overseas with our dollar so high, but I'm concerned about the fit. Aaaron sounds like he makes me look like a big fella but I have never bought a large in anything.

Appreciate all the feedback. Wetsuit discussions just about define the most useful part of the surfing website. Recommendations speak volumes for me.

Who else is buying new this year? Took a look at the Xcel infiniti and E-bomb/F-bomb series and hard to believe they are worth the excessive coin.
Olds get on the web to buy a wettie.. You can get one shipped out from the states for under $400 for an E-Bomb..
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:40 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rico

Post by Rico » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:13 pm

There's a shop in surfers where you can get a brand new 2/2 E-bomb springsuit for $200, they had some sale going on when I got it but every time I walk in there is some sort of sale special thingy...

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:00 am

Anyone in Sydney been wearing a Ripcurl E-Bomb Pro ? How many months of the year is it suitable?

A couple of mates of mine have them and they are cooking in them right now. He sits on his board pulling the neck open and flushes water in to keep himself sane. Then again the water in Sydney is still well above 20 degrees right now.

I own an O'Niel Heat that has recently died after at least 5 years of good use. The build and the seams were top notch, it was a the material in general that gave in eventually. That suit was perfectly warm for Sydney winters, I was never cold. I used to have to wear 5mm rashies under my steamers occasionally and I couldn't with this wetsuit, I would suffer horribly.

Considering an O'Niel Gooru or Ripcurl E-Bomb Pro
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:14 am

I only have e bombs. IMO cant beat the flexibility of these suits and their customer service is top notch. Yes agree , if you wear a steamer at the moment its too hot. Yesterday I started to get a headache from being too hot and a bit dehydrated (you still sweat when you are too hot in water)...got out and downed 2 gatrorades and the headache went but will be wearing my springy today....lots of guys still wearing boardies and a wetsuit top. Very warm suits particularly the chest zip versions which is what I have. I do have an old O'Neil suit I wear when my others are wet and its like wearing a suit of armour...stiff as and its not that old.