that wetsuit discussion...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Mr Percival
Local

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by Mr Percival » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:48 pm

Last edited by Mr Percival on Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:56 pm

If the neck seal works where is the water coming from?
I'm with legion.

Mr Percival
Local

Post by Mr Percival » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:57 pm

Last edited by Mr Percival on Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:00 pm

Yeah pretty much. Least for the first 20 minutes.
Certainly can't piss in it without deliberately introducing water unless I want to smell like a possum orgy.

Mr Percival
Local

Post by Mr Percival » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:05 pm

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:11 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Percival
Local

Post by Mr Percival » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:32 pm

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:16 pm

Looks like the Needs wetsuits are all sold out. \
They must be doing something right. Hope they can keep their supply chains going.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:34 pm

I bought one of their jackets for summer recently. Obvs havent worn it out yet but it felt good when trying on.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:57 pm

Almighty God wrote:Just started wearing a new steamer, a peak, not sure what type...but the legs fill up with water.

This seems to occur on some steamers and not others for me...but I dont know why...whats your theory?

Anyone ever tried to fix it...thinking of putting holes near the bottom of the legs...on the back...similar to the holes many wetsuits have in the middle of the back to drain water. What do you think...destined for disaster or is there a good way to do it?
i got a peak for this season. it's got "X dry" in red on one sleeve. sold to me as a rip curl f bomb. peak are rip curl after all. pretty happy with it, it's toasty warm and i've come out of most surfs completely dry underneath.

but i noticed the water thing up the leg, only one mind you, most surfs. did it again today, doesn't really bother me, at first it did coz i thought it was leaking, and baffled as to where from... but it seems to seep in only on entry, and on the one leg where the taped seam around the edge is thinner on one than the other.
fcuked if i'd put holes in it though.

Almighty God
regular

Post by Almighty God » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:50 pm

skipper wrote:
Almighty God wrote:Just started wearing a new steamer, a peak, not sure what type...but the legs fill up with water.

This seems to occur on some steamers and not others for me...but I dont know why...whats your theory?

Anyone ever tried to fix it...thinking of putting holes near the bottom of the legs...on the back...similar to the holes many wetsuits have in the middle of the back to drain water. What do you think...destined for disaster or is there a good way to do it?
i got a peak for this season. it's got "X dry" in red on one sleeve. sold to me as a rip curl f bomb. peak are rip curl after all. pretty happy with it, it's toasty warm and i've come out of most surfs completely dry underneath.

but i noticed the water thing up the leg, only one mind you, most surfs. did it again today, doesn't really bother me, at first it did coz i thought it was leaking, and baffled as to where from... but it seems to seep in only on entry, and on the one leg where the taped seam around the edge is thinner on one than the other.
yeah its the same wettie...they are super warm...It seems to seep in around the back of the knees...

I figure, just from walking up the beach with a leg full of water...its got to be 2 kilos of water in there...surely thats going to impact surfing a bit. I read a long discussion about it on kitesurfing and a divers forums before putting the holes in it...they used everything from velcro ankle straps...soldering irons, coat hangers, burnt them in with a cigarette lighter...and various other things...funnily there was no comment at all about holes making the wetsuit colder...and that makes no sense to me at all...when my feet are completely exposed...just two inches away...anyway, can assure all that my legs are no colder now in the wettie than before I put them in

Almighty God
regular

Post by Almighty God » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:52 pm

skipper wrote:

yeah its the same wettie...they are super warm...It seems to seep in around the back of the knees...

I figure, just from walking up the beach with a leg full of water...its got to be 2 kilos of water in there...surely thats going to impact surfing a bit. I read a long discussion about it on a kitesurfing and a divers forum before putting the holes in it...they used everything from velcro ankle straps...soldering irons, coat hangers, burnt them in with a cigarette lighter...and various other things...funnily there was no comment at all about holes making the wetsuit colder...and that makes no sense to me at all...when my feet are completely exposed...just two inches away...anyway, can assure all that my legs are no colder now in the wettie than before I put them in

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:09 pm

Repetition for effect huh, AG?
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Almighty God
regular

Post by Almighty God » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:14 pm

rainbows, rainbows, rainbows...yep, and you should be grateful

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:34 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Almighty God
regular

Post by Almighty God » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:59 pm

Legion wrote:
Almighty God wrote:...funnily there was no comment at all about holes making the wetsuit colder...and that makes no sense to me at all...when my feet are completely exposed...
It's a wonder all wetsuits don't come with factory leg holes, huh?

My feet are just about the first thing to get cold (unless I'm wearing my hood). I also find that strange, that the exposed bare skin gets cold faster than the skin under the wetsuit where no water flushes. It makes no sense to me at all.
aww man, sorry, really didnt want to get in to some big thing here about this. The feet thing was the point I was making...I agree, feet get cold anyway, so I didnt think a tiny hole just next to them is going to make that area much colder.

They dont put the holes in because there is no way the water is supposed to be there...and on most wetsuits I have owned it isnt (but they do put holes down the back to drain water that leaks in through the head, yeah?). I agree with you about it being a better idea to fix it without making another problem...I would if I knew how...not sure if its a size and fit thing, or the wetsuit is a bit faulty....but the water is there, and really shits me...so I just tried to fix it. Saw some suggestions on another site where it seemed to be common accepted practice, so tried it out and wrote about it because Mr P asked how it went.

Do you think you could pm me if you want to argue about it any more...I have written enough posts on here that I am embarrassed about...trying not to add any more

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:03 pm

Almighty God, I'd be embarrassed about having created Rupert Murdoch, monogamy and Cory Bernadi before worrying about your posts.

Almighty God
regular

Post by Almighty God » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:07 pm

ajohnsen wrote:Almighty God, I'd be embarrassed about having created Rupert Murdoch, monogamy and Cory Bernadi before worrying about your posts.
New Zealand also comes to mind