that wetsuit discussion...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:17 am

steve shearer wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:10 am
Whats the Gilmore Girls?
Imagewells fargo local branch phone number
Erase.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:30 am

The Mighty Sunbird wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:17 am
steve shearer wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:10 am
Whats the Gilmore Girls?
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:09 am

what a stunning transformation
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:10 am

it's not really like trev to be creepy! Perhaps this new nickname has changed him

I've been reading back through this thread and it's amazing how many people says they have had problems with brand name wetties but the cheap ones they'e bought from BCF or some such have lasted for years. I've gotta say my experience is exactly the opposite. In the past 25 years or so I've only had one brand name wetsuit go bad on me, it was a Quik s/s full suit and some of the inner lining came unglued after about a year. I've had wetsuits from Xcel, Rip Curl, Billabong, O'Neill, Hurley, Vissla and Patagonia in that time and they've all stood up just fine, better than fine in most cases. I have however just begun to have some issues with Need stuff, I got a 1mm long sleeve vest which on the fourth use busted the string thing that goes around the waist cuff. Just busted it and the whole thing unspooled and came out. And some boardies where two bits of the Velcro in the fly seam just unravelled and fell off after maybe 10 wearings. There's also a lot of unspooling thread on a spring suit, it won't last a year and hasn't been overworn. All these were bought at full Need price which isn't very much, but still.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:30 am

my Xcels are all the most flexible and comfy suits i've had ... but they don't last more than a season before they're split to the shithouse.

Oneil and rip are the best suits out there, imo. warm & reliable. with a patagonia 4/3 for tassie winters
Kunji wrote:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:33 am

crabmeat thompson wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:09 am
She's got a potty mouth, though.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:37 am

crabmeat thompson wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:30 am
my Xcels are all the most flexible and comfy suits i've had ... but they don't last more than a season before they're split to the shithouse.

Oneil and rip are the best suits out there, imo. warm & reliable. with a patagonia 4/3 for tassie winters
I used O'Neill for years, then tried Xcel based on price and availability at the time.
The best I've ever had is a CSkins. Soft and flexible. Plenty of length in the arms and easy to get into and out of.
And best of all, it's a back zip!
Beanpole

Skipper

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:40 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:10 am
it's not really like trev to be creepy! Perhaps this new nickname has changed him

I've been reading back through this thread and it's amazing how many people says they have had problems with brand name wetties but the cheap ones they'e bought from BCF or some such have lasted for years. I've gotta say my experience is exactly the opposite. In the past 25 years or so I've only had one brand name wetsuit go bad on me, it was a Quik s/s full suit and some of the inner lining came unglued after about a year. I've had wetsuits from Xcel, Rip Curl, Billabong, O'Neill, Hurley, Vissla and Patagonia in that time and they've all stood up just fine, better than fine in most cases. I have however just begun to have some issues with Need stuff, I got a 1mm long sleeve vest which on the fourth use busted the string thing that goes around the waist cuff. Just busted it and the whole thing unspooled and came out. And some boardies where two bits of the Velcro in the fly seam just unravelled and fell off after maybe 10 wearings. There's also a lot of unspooling thread on a spring suit, it won't last a year and hasn't been overworn. All these were bought at full Need price which isn't very much, but still.
Legion goes through a wetty every season. I hate to think what he’s doing in it. I have a sneaking suspicion he’s wearing them to a fetish club at night.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:59 am

You do have to wonder what happens with QC sometimes.

I'm on my third year of a pair of Need boardies.....they live in my car. Completely abused.
The LS Spring I got last year seems bullet proof, though the rubber seems much less flexible than the last iteration. The seams and stitching seem a lot more solid.

I bought some Quiksilver waterman walk shorts from BCF, 2 weeks ago. They have a little stud/button thing at the front. Just walking around the Comp site the stud fell out, which meant all of a sudden the shorts are around my knees. The stitching on the pocket is also falling to pieces.
They literally fell apart on me within a fortnight.
Tried to return them at local BCF and every Gold Coast store but summer is over and all they have left are fat bogan sizes, so I guess I'll have to bin them.

I got a Quik low/mid range 3/2 steamer that is the coldest steamer I've ever worn. But I've had other ones that seem to go fine.

Independent Surf Co 4/3 steamer which I've worn a dozen times for in the dark dawnies in winter. Very, very warm. Very, very stiff, though it has loosened up a bit now.

My dream wetsuit: a 3/2 long sleeve springy with a back zip and batwing no longer exists.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:27 pm

Cyclone wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:33 am
crabmeat thompson wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:09 am
She's got a potty mouth, though.
You're a filthy little man now aren't you cyclone! dirty dirty dirty.

Products, maybe it's the way of the world right now, like good products are really good -- good surfboards right now are amazing, beautiful to ride and built to last, but quite a few rack brands are shit, unevenly laminated things with pretend carbon, just waiting to be creased.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:37 pm

I think Nick's doing a character assassination on me. 🚾
Beanpole

Skipper

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:34 pm

Nonsense! I'm just appreciating the new trev! Younger and naughtier.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:56 pm

are you suggesting he needs a spanking?
Kunji wrote:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:47 pm

I am suggesting exactly that.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:32 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:59 am
You do have to wonder what happens with QC sometimes.

I'm on my third year of a pair of Need boardies.....they live in my car. Completely abused.
The LS Spring I got last year seems bullet proof, though the rubber seems much less flexible than the last iteration. The seams and stitching seem a lot more solid.

I bought some Quiksilver waterman walk shorts from BCF, 2 weeks ago. They have a little stud/button thing at the front. Just walking around the Comp site the stud fell out, which meant all of a sudden the shorts are around my knees. The stitching on the pocket is also falling to pieces.
They literally fell apart on me within a fortnight.
Tried to return them at local BCF and every Gold Coast store but summer is over and all they have left are fat bogan sizes, so I guess I'll have to bin them.

I got a Quik low/mid range 3/2 steamer that is the coldest steamer I've ever worn. But I've had other ones that seem to go fine.

Independent Surf Co 4/3 steamer which I've worn a dozen times for in the dark dawnies in winter. Very, very warm. Very, very stiff, though it has loosened up a bit now.

My dream wetsuit: a 3/2 long sleeve springy with a back zip and batwing no longer exists.
This Steve being arse up at the comp site due to boardies malfunction is great.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:51 pm

WALK SHORTS. Please explain mr shearer
Erase.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:53 pm

And CREEPY.
please explain, Mr Carroll. Is it a good thing or a bad thing?
Erase.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:50 pm

Steve wears a 4/3 up in northern nsw? My goodness
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.