that wetsuit discussion...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Mr Percival
Local

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by Mr Percival » Sat May 30, 2015 6:11 pm

Last edited by Mr Percival on Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Sat May 30, 2015 6:46 pm

doubled up somehow.
Last edited by MrMik on Sat May 30, 2015 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Sat May 30, 2015 7:31 pm

Just a quick update regarding my Patagonia R1 wetsuit that had problems with cracking external seals. As already mentioned earlier, it was replaced on the spot, with much apologies.
The hardest part about returning it was picking a time when the suit was dry, so I could hand it back! I did not even have to show the purchase receipt.

The new suit fits just as well as the first one, and there is no cracking of seals whatsoever after a few sessions. Happy camper!

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Sat May 30, 2015 7:40 pm

pinhead wrote:
BA wrote:Took my new Need steamer out for the first time this morning. Felt really flexible. Warmth factor is good. No water seemed to get in.

The leg and arm length are perfect, but the chest area is quite baggy (never had this in any other wetsuit). The backing of the chest zip is really stiff and makes the chest area stick out. The overall feeling of the suit is cheap, which seems in line with the cost, but they do make a point of saying they are the same as the big name suits. I doubt it.
BA - What do you mean by baggy? is there air where your chest should be? or do you mean the zip section makes the chest area lumpy?
Air in the chest area. It bulges out. But the stiff lining behind the zip doesn't help. I've never had this issue in 30 odd years of wearing steamers. My chest ain't huge, but it's never been a problem.

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Sat May 30, 2015 8:45 pm

I ordered a 4/3 on Wednesday. Will report back if I have the same problem. Although I have stout manly chest so it may not be noticeable
daryl wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:43 am
We were waiting to get a donkey until it killed someone

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Sun May 31, 2015 9:08 am

My 3/2 was a bit loose above the shoulders/neck. A mate who's taller bought it from me and is very happy with it. I had no issue with the backing of the chest zip at all. I thought it was a quality item at an exceptionally good price

Other than the fit, the only issue I had was that the bottom of the left leg stretched a bit from having my leggie under the suit. Fine for a 3/2, but could mean some unwelcome cold flushes if the 4/3 was the same in August
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Sun May 31, 2015 1:14 pm

And where's the key holder?

Mr Percival
Local

Post by Mr Percival » Sun May 31, 2015 2:38 pm

Last edited by Mr Percival on Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tally
Grommet

Post by Tally » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:34 am

I ordered a 3/2 steamer from Need wetsuits it arrived in two days I gave it a go this morning air temp was chilly (around 9 to 10degC), but water is still in the low 20's. a 3/2 sealed suit is overkill for SEqld so I was very warm. I dont wear a steamer too often and my last one was a 2mm oneil Psycho 2. the need suit does not seem to be as flexible as the old which was expected. fit was really good medium size and I am 185cm and 80Kg.

it will be interesting to see how it goes based on one session for only an hour it was good but time will tell.

cedric
Grommet

Post by cedric » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:48 pm

Just checked Needs site.....sold out already - again - in 3x2 4x3 steamers. Tally was yours a chest zip ?

Tally
Grommet

Post by Tally » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:04 pm

yep 3/2 chest zip

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:42 pm

i really quite like that soft, smooth rubber most of the manufacturers use around the neck of a wetsuit. i don't like when it starts to perish and you end up with black marks around your neck and little black bits of sticky wetsuit rubber goo caught in your neck hairs.

That stuff degrades way faster than the rest of the wetsuit.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:49 pm

B Duck is on the Black Mark, especially if you're a lazy shaver like me

Unless they've added to the range while I wasn't looking, chesty bonds is all Need have. If they expand to back zips, I'll be as back as an Arny Terminator
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Elmako
Grommet

Post by Elmako » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:00 am

A good friend of mine bought the Needs 3/2 chest zip and he really likes it. We surfed together and I really liked the no logos, all black look. I also felt the rubber and it looks like the same quality on my Flashbomb, soft, flexible, etc.

J

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:19 pm

I wore my Need 3/4 today. 14 degree water. 2-3 foot beachies, no wind. I also wore a hood and booties. I'm 175 cm x 67 kgs. I usually wear a Ripcurl small. The Need suit in small fits perfectly, maybe a fraction tight around the shoulders, there is a tiny bit of bagginess at the base of the neck, but that had zero impact on the experience. Flexibility is standard I think, not super flexy but not in any way stiff. Zero flushing or leaks, which resulted in me being too hot at the beginning of the session but after three hours in the water I still felt nice and warm. Getting out of it was a bit of a struggle, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. My last suit was a Ripcurl Insulater which was great and after two and half winters had no signs of wear - however it was losing its warmth. If I'm only going to get two winters out of a suit then a $200 Need suit makes more sense than a $500 brand suit.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:14 pm

Seems they all have this bagginess at the base if the neck. Weird.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:31 pm

pinhead wrote: If I'm only going to get two winters out of a suit then a $200 Need suit makes more sense than a $500 brand suit.
If you are accepting to get only 2 seasons out of a suit, and then buy another one of that brand again, they have turned you into a consumer. Or, you might have walked along just like you are supposed to.

Are the other "Realsurfers" accepting this sort of bullshit?

To buy a new wetsuit that costs more than the average annual wage in Africa every couple of years?

Or are you that abominable kind of surfer/consumer who buys boards that fall apart within weeks (or months at the most), but as long as it's OK for you that's just fine? Get the best, immediately, toss it on the scrapheap, get the next?

Don't worry about the big picture?

:-?

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:35 pm

I must declare that I have no real idea about the average annual income in Africa, but I bet that I'm right.

If I loose, I'll brew the beer to go into the drone for the 2-wave-holddown challenge at Steve's place.

It'll be mean....