that wetsuit discussion...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by Donweather » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:03 pm

No pricing on that website Trev for the booties?

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:09 pm

I'm onto my 2nd pair of these. I got the 2nd pair for a reason
reef boot.jpg
reef boot.jpg (7.91 KiB) Viewed 4163 times
O'neill Superfreak
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:52 pm

I've got the O'neill booties as well, they are great.
Get them a snug fit, they will loosen slightly when wet.
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:53 pm

Mine are Rip Curl,with the split toe design. I think I paid about $40 for them from BeachBeat. They're very comfortable.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Indo dreaming
regular

Post by Indo dreaming » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:19 pm

Used both the O'neill one's posted above and FCS ones, over the last two years, both held up well and felt good design wise.

The FCS ones have a bit of an edge on the O'neill ones design wise as have double straps (ankle and on top of foot) which allows you to get a real snug fit, only problem i had with them is the sizing length wise, one size to big, one size to small no half sizes, i went the too small option thinking they would wear in, but no luck and were a little toe cramped.

So this year i went the O'neill super freaks, which for me were a much better fit.

IMO Id just go in to a shop and find the bootie that fits your foot best, getting the best fit IMO is the most important thing. (as long as there the top line bootie from one of the decent name brands that is)

Indo dreaming
regular

Post by Indo dreaming » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:24 pm

swvic wrote:Mate has just let me know about this if anyone is interested

http://www.needessentials.com/

Know it doesn't help most, but you can try them on at Dos Primos in Gilbert St, Torquay

The bloke used to work for Qicky in the wettie area. They come from the same factory as the top quiky wetties with all the same tech but he has tweaked a few things to make them individual and he claims a bit better

4/3 $180 3/2 $160

Know where my next wettie is coming from
How is the stretch when on and wet, compared to a Rip curl E-bomb?

I love Rip curl E-bombs but i would never pay full local price and id love to support another brand just as a F#%K you to Rip curl who are making it hard to buy from OS.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:48 pm

my 3/2 RC dawnie steamer has finally died in its 5th season. The neck is letting in a gushing amount of water with every duck dive.

So long friend.

Gonna try and wait until the middle of summer to buy one of 'last season's' on special.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:21 pm

Braithy wrote:my 3/2 RC dawnie steamer has finally died in its 5th season. The neck is letting in a gushing amount of water with every duck dive.

So long friend.

Gonna try and wait until the middle of summer to buy one of 'last season's' on special.
Yeah those dawn patrols are the bomb. I'm gonna get my second 3/2 in time for summer.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:37 am

Indo dreaming wrote:]
How is the stretch when on and wet, compared to a Rip curl E-bomb?

I love Rip curl E-bombs but i would never pay full local price and id love to support another brand just as a F#%K you to Rip curl who are making it hard to buy from OS.
Haven't worn it yet. I'm in vic and it's a 3/2
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:28 pm

Braithy wrote:my 3/2 RC dawnie steamer has finally died in its 5th season. The neck is letting in a gushing amount of water with every duck dive.
My Billabong Xero is doing the same thing. Neck has become stretched. Got three winters out of it. Paid half price, so happy with that.

Will wait for the after winter sales.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:38 am

Just got a complete replacement suit for my O'Niell Psycho 3 that had all the liquid seams go bust after 2 months.

The new suit feels better already, better fit and more elastic. Seems the lemon batch that was failing on everyone also had less elastic seams, maybe something to do with it failing?
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:44 pm

another review the Billabong Revolution 3/2

This being Billabong's mid range suit, I think in the $300 plus range?

It has a cheaper version of the Bong furnace lining on the torso but the arms and legs are free. Internal liquid taping, ext gbs. Chest zip of course.

This is a really good wetsuit, though more suited to Sydney winter type climes than anything much cooler. The rubber is high quality and it's easy to paddle in, though it does let water in through the neck pretty easily, so if you're in water below about 17 you'd get a bit annoyed by that I think. The cut, esp in the upper body is more suited to a less mesomorphic human shape than me but I still was able to wear it without undue interference. There appears to be no breakdown of the liquid seam taping after numerous uses. It's definitely a step ahead of the same suit last year. It has a floating zip which I tend to view with scepticism but it works fine and in a middle end suit like this I think is easy to accept. Again I would shy away from it in heavy cold winter conditions but in normal east coast sunny winter surf it's an excellent choice.

scroopulis
Local

Post by scroopulis » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:17 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:Just got a complete replacement suit for my O'Niell Psycho 3 that had all the liquid seams go bust after 2 months.

The new suit feels better already, better fit and more elastic. Seems the lemon batch that was failing on everyone also had less elastic seams, maybe something to do with it failing?

Did Oneill replace your suit for free??

I've got one with a few little probs but wasn't going to worry about it.

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:43 am

Just about to send back the crappest wetty I've ever had, the Quicksilver fuseflex 3/2 2014. Ive only worn this thing a dozen times and it has completely failed, with seams splitting on every panel. It has the furry lining, which while it dries fast is not as warm, flexible or durable as my old Oneill superfreak, which is still going ok despite three seasons. I got the quikky on a 'mates rates' promotion deal, so didn't pay full price. Hopefully they will replace it with something better.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:04 am

Spork I know several people who gave had the exact same thing happen with the Fuseflex. They seem to be going cheaper for a reason.
I think Quicky really need to get their act together with their wetties given how much they sell for. IMO they are not worth half of the RRP.

I have a couple of top of the line West suits. Both have cracking seems all over after 3 surfs. Not acceptable for something worth several hundred bucks. No wonder they have gone bust.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:15 pm

scroopulis wrote:
Cpt.Caveman wrote:Just got a complete replacement suit for my O'Niell Psycho 3 that had all the liquid seams go bust after 2 months.

Did Oneill replace your suit for free??

I've got one with a few little probs but wasn't going to worry about it.
Yes, my suit was only 2 months into the 12 month warranty. They replaced the whole suit for free.

Supposedly there was a batch of lemons that will need to be fully replaced with a new batch that has fixed the problem with the seams. I would take it back for sure. If its the lemon batch it might go pear shaped as time goes, and if you're past your warranty you're in trouble.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:55 pm

I asked before but I think it slipped by.

Anyone tried an Adelio wetsuit? http://www.adelio.com.au/store/wetsuits

They're a small outfit based on the central coast of Sydney.

A friend has had good dealings with them. He has the 2mm shortarm and they look like great suits for their value. Liquid seams, flexible, furry heat torso area. Looks good so far!

scroopulis
Local

Post by scroopulis » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:01 pm

Thx Cpt. I'll go and take it back to them. I've got a 2mm short arm which has been great so maybe my 3/2 is from the lemon batch.