that wetsuit discussion...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

saltyseadog

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by saltyseadog » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:26 pm

Hey Neville, I've bought my last 3 wetsuits from the US. Even with $70 delivery charge it generally works out $150+ cheaper.

If you can get a few mates onboard to split the shipping cost your laughing :-)(

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:26 pm

where from mate. in the market for a steamer.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:11 pm

Neville wrote:Has anyone ever bought a wetsuit from the US.
I see that the Ripcurl EBomb are about $150 cheaper there?
Bought two a couple of years ago. I was going to buy my son one because he was growing quickly and they didn't seem like they would last a season. The price was so cheap on Amazon at that stage I bought one too. Same model Billabong mid range. His was made in China however and mine was made in Thailand. His was much better made. Mine started losing threads and ended up flaring out. Very Seventies. So I didn't need to worry about how long his would last. Mine was stuffed after one season. They were very cheap however and mine actually came from Canada.

Bought one from Oz last year. Quikie and its been good. Quite a bit cheaper than in the shops but not as cheap as OS.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:20 pm

steve shearer wrote:where from mate. in the market for a steamer.
SS i've had good success with xcel suits off whisky militia. have picked up mid range 3/2s for as cheap as 70 bucks and top end 3/2s for $160. plus shipping of course.

Bought a 2 year old model, short arm long leg 2mm top range body glove off Sierra outdoor or something like that for $120 delivered. happy days.

At those prices i dont wash em, leave em screwed up in the back of my car for days at a time, dont care about getting em off in the carpark etc, and still get a couple of years out of em. usually use the newest/best ones as the go to, then have a back up dry one, then when they get a season old or it starts getting warm the sleeves get cut off.

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:23 pm

they've actually got a surf sale on right now for the next few days - bong, oneill and xcel wet ties from $100

gotta go into the private stash section and keep your eyes on whats on offer. sometimes stupidly cheap stuff pops up in limited numbers.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:05 am

Steve, sideways surf are always a good starting point for cheap last season wetties, so next time you're up the Tweed way, drop into their store.

saltyseadog

Post by saltyseadog » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:51 am

I've bought my last couple from www.cleanlinesurf.com - they even leave a little hand written note in the box to share the stoke, and sometimes a few free bits. Customer service is excellent. 3-)

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:13 pm

thanks gents.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:58 pm

saltyseadog wrote:I've bought my last couple from http://www.cleanlinesurf.com - they even leave a little hand written note in the box to share the stoke, and sometimes a few free bits. Customer service is excellent. 3-)
Had a quick look online and I wouldn't say they're that cheap....considering you've got to add shipping onto that also.

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:37 pm

oneill online have had some cheapies of late if they have your size. jackssurf usa have also had some real good deals even with taking into account the high shipping cost . Just got a quiky zipperless for $270 including ship, delivered in 6 days ( $400 here ).

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:54 pm

I'd be pleasantly surprised if any OS outfits ship either RC or Oneill into Aust. Seems those days are gone when the last couple towed the line in recent months

Brings me back to what I said some time back when I called them cnuts. NC pulled me up on it and I conceded I'd been unfair to use that label. I'm coming back to that though. They treat us like shit and expect respect in return. You are fcuking kidding me

The argument of scale is so flawed when you consider they're made on our fcuken doorstep in SE Asia. I'm saying it out loud. CNUTS, especially RC. Born at Bells? Maybe, but they've long forgotten where the money for the 1st ski lodge came from
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:02 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:33 pm

Matticus Finch wrote:My e-bomb has stretchy neopreneless not quite holes galore, a cable tie for the main zip and the key pocket fell apart within days. I'm going to try and wait until next year if I can because debt but thanks for the whisky militia link, I'll sign up and check it out. At $100 I might have to think about it. What's the postage come to?
last time for me was $70 for 2 steamers and a bunch of clothes

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:50 pm

A question for those that buy wetsuits more frequently than me (aka surf more than me).

I had real trouble finding a wetsuit to fit me - tried on a heap in the shops. Finally found one that did (Xcel) after about 15 attempt with other brands (do you know how exhausting it is putting on 6 wetsuits one after the other!). The main problem was either really tight shoulders or really loose waist.

Anyway, after that experience I am wary of buying on line without being able to try them on, but in your experience, if a wetsuit from Xcel fits me, will all Xcel suits be 'cut' the same way and therefore fit me? Or does the fit change from model to model or year to year?

(I used to just use springsuits which seem to be easier to fit into for some reason; it was only graduating to steamers when i become too wussy to deal with the cold that created the problem)

thanks

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:53 am

Thanks, Legion. Should be right for awhile though. Last couple have been through Dexter Surf here in Aust. Nowhere near OS prices and limited availability though

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:21 am

Why would you buy online, local surf shop had some patagonias for $200 lasts week, a bit overpriced imo but still cheaper than the rest.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:41 am

FYI surfstitch are having one of their very infrequent 20% off hardware/wetsuits sales.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:00 am

crustt wrote:Why would you buy online, local surf shop had some patagonias for $200 lasts week, a bit overpriced imo but still cheaper than the rest.
Only one shop here and the guy doesn't look after us. I buy tail pads, legggies, wax, booties, vest, etc. from him (used to buy board covers too :-D-: ), and he still doesn't play. If he did, he'd sell heaps more and make more coin. Last wettie I bought from a shop was in Torquay. Almost half retail price and I'd never seen the guy in my life