that wetsuit discussion...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

the hulkster
Grommet

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by the hulkster » Fri May 11, 2012 9:46 am

I have got a O'Neill Pschyco 2 4/3 itsa good wettie comfortable got me through last winter beautifully. So its only just gone 12 months old and i looked after it well washing after every surf in cold fresh water.

My problem with it as i bring it back out for another Vicco winter is that in the tape on the internal seams if cracking. I reckon there are at least 10 cracks. I tried gluing them up with proper wetsuit cement but they just dont seem to hold i will re do tehm but i just reckon that that many cracks is not on after 12 months of wear. I know it is out of warranty but does any one reckon there is anything i can do, like send O'Neill an email with pics and see what happens. I love the suit but reckon it should last better than that.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Fri May 11, 2012 10:13 am

I have a physco freak 2/3 and had the same problem with the cracking of the seams after 6 to months of almost daily use, I don't look after mine, doesn't get washed out very often just gets thrown over the back gate to dry between surfs. Took it back and they gave me a new one with a new 12 month warranty, pays to buy your wettie from the same place year after year. I hate that key pocket in the calf of the O'niell , you have to be careful when you pull it on or it will eventually rip on the stitching.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri May 11, 2012 11:10 am

Yeah I reckon that old liquid seam stuff seemed to shrink and crack over longer periods especially if left to dry in the sun. There's some other variable though ... I had two suits with that seam, wore them both equally through two winters, one showed cracks at the end of season two and the other was fine.

Most better suits using liquid seaming now have a sillcon based substance that goes on in thinner strips and feels way more flexy, I bet it lasts longer...time will tell.

hulkster I'd definitely contact O'Neill re your suit, can't hurt, they're good people.

the hulkster
Grommet

Post by the hulkster » Fri May 11, 2012 12:20 pm

Cheers Nick, maybe its because i have just been reading your wetsuit guide in ASL and i just want a new one. I am sure this doesnt happen on every O'Neill suit it could just be luck of the draw. It has been hanging neatly in the garage for six months over summer i have only just pulled it out a couple of weeks ago. I will send an email to O'Neill with some photos you never know your luck, at least they might appreciate some feedback on their gear at the very least.

Back onto the ASL wettie guide, it was a good read, what do you reckon was the best suit? What would you recommend for a Vicco winter.

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Fri May 11, 2012 12:39 pm

the hulkster wrote:I have got a O'Neill Pschyco 2 4/3 itsa good wettie comfortable got me through last winter beautifully. So its only just gone 12 months old and i looked after it well washing after every surf in cold fresh water.

My problem with it as i bring it back out for another Vicco winter is that in the tape on the internal seams if cracking. I reckon there are at least 10 cracks. I tried gluing them up with proper wetsuit cement but they just dont seem to hold i will re do tehm but i just reckon that that many cracks is not on after 12 months of wear. I know it is out of warranty but does any one reckon there is anything i can do, like send O'Neill an email with pics and see what happens. I love the suit but reckon it should last better than that.
I could have written the same post, word for word.

I've got an O'neill Psyco II 4/3, second winter of use, well looked after, inside seams all cracking.

If you get a response from O'neill, let us know!

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Fri May 11, 2012 12:41 pm

the hulkster wrote:What would you recommend for a Vicco winter.
GO NORTH!!!!!! :D

the hulkster
Grommet

Post by the hulkster » Fri May 11, 2012 1:04 pm

crustt wrote:
the hulkster wrote:What would you recommend for a Vicco winter.
GO NORTH!!!!!! :D
I wish, but we get good waves over winter though, had a ripping session at Bells yesterday.

the hulkster
Grommet

Post by the hulkster » Fri May 11, 2012 1:05 pm

Animal_Chin wrote:
the hulkster wrote:
I could have written the same post, word for word.

I've got an O'neill Psyco II 4/3, second winter of use, well looked after, inside seams all cracking.

If you get a response from O'neill, let us know!
Thats interesting, will do. I wont be holding my breath but nothing ventured nothing gained.

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Fri May 11, 2012 2:44 pm

I just bought a new Patagonia R2 long sleeve springy. It's my first Patagonia. I usually buy Rip Curl, but I liked the suit, like Patagonia's corporate philosophy and so thought I'd give 'em a go.

Anyone else tried Patagonia?

Josh
the tools of the trade are the head and the heart - mission of burma

Glamarama
regular

Post by Glamarama » Fri May 11, 2012 6:16 pm

i havent but would be keen to hear what you think of it.

my E3 Rip curl needs replacing and was thinking of the R2.

where did you get it? and as for size vs RC is it just interchangable, ie M=M?

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Fri May 11, 2012 6:23 pm

Lot of guys round my way have patagonias and reckon they are great. I wouldn't buy there product based on there corporate philosophy though.
Last edited by Rustt on Sat May 12, 2012 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Fri May 11, 2012 7:01 pm

Coll,
I have two patagonias. R2 steamer and a R1 short arm steamer. The R1 is much like your long arm and is a great wettie, warm and flexy - just wish it was chest zip, which they don't make in R1s. The R2 is the best steamer i've owned. The wool lining is the shizle. While my mates freeze in their billabongs, ripculs and excels, i feel toasty. At the end of last winter, the stitching on the lower back came away - they replaced the entire suit with the newer 2012 model - great warranty, great suit.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Sat May 12, 2012 11:45 am

Glamarama wrote:i havent but would be keen to hear what you think of it.

my E3 Rip curl needs replacing and was thinking of the R2.

where did you get it? and as for size vs RC is it just interchangable, ie M=M?
Got it from the Sugarmill, at Narrabeen. The sizing seems interchangeable, but obviously you want to try one on before buying.

Josh
the tools of the trade are the head and the heart - mission of burma

Glamarama
regular

Post by Glamarama » Sat May 12, 2012 12:13 pm

Batoes

As a guide is it correct to go with the assumption that R2 would be at least as warm as a good 3x2 eg Ebomb?

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Sat May 12, 2012 2:20 pm

Glam,
While the ebombs are great suits - super comfy and flexible, i don't rate them as a warm suit in winter. The R2s range is 12-18 degree water. I had it in 14 deg water last year for two hours, outside temp 12 deg and was fine. It is far superior in warmth to any suit i've had, even 4/3s, and the pata is only 2ml thick. Wool lined :P
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sat May 12, 2012 8:07 pm

Well it finally happened.

After 6 years and probably 300 surfs or more my old Rip Curl suit has bit the dust. Big hole in the leg seam, usual holes under the arms and today the zip slider broke. Completely corroded.

Pretty good duration out of a suit so based on that I'll be sticking with Rip Curl

Going shopping for a 3x2 Ebomb tomorrow, thought about the F Bomb but it's more expensive and I don't really care about how fast it dries.

I can't handle the 4x3's if you have a hotskin you only need a 3x2
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Glamarama
regular

Post by Glamarama » Sun May 13, 2012 12:29 pm

Thanks batoes

That is my thinking in trading up to a pagonia. No lose of warmth but a gain in weight saving by going a 2mm vs 3mm and hopefully durability. Not that the RC is problematic in that sense butif i can get more longevity out of a more expensive suit than it has some rational.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sun May 13, 2012 12:59 pm

Hatchy ... What is this hot skin you speak of?

Just dipped my toes into Lakes entrance. Howling 40- knoter, air temp 14, nfi what the water temp is. But it's cold.

I might need more warmth. Like a lot more. Haha!
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism