that wetsuit discussion...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Quangers
Local

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by Quangers » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:22 pm

Legion wrote:Strange, since IIRC robzig glowingly praised Hotline's seam tape years ago and that's where Buell came from.

Quick search shows I'm not bullshitting:
robzig wrote:Mate the new Reflex from Hotline is awesome. The new seam taping is the best I have seen and makes the suit a lot lighter than the silicon crap. They last a lot longer than any other brand I have used period.
robzig wrote:I love my Hotline wetties. Been wearing them for years and they hold up awesome. Ryan Buell use to work there.......that is the connection to Buell now. Wetsuit makin' history.....yew!
Shares?? Anyone?

saucy gibbon
barnacle

Post by saucy gibbon » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:37 am

Quangers wrote:
Legion wrote:Strange, since IIRC robzig glowingly praised Hotline's seam tape years ago and that's where Buell came from.

Quick search shows I'm not bullshitting:
robzig wrote:Mate the new Reflex from Hotline is awesome. The new seam taping is the best I have seen and makes the suit a lot lighter than the silicon crap. They last a lot longer than any other brand I have used period.
robzig wrote:I love my Hotline wetties. Been wearing them for years and they hold up awesome. Ryan Buell use to work there.......that is the connection to Buell now. Wetsuit makin' history.....yew!
Shares?? Anyone?
Shares ....yew !!!!
Uni is not the real world.

BDL77
regular

Post by BDL77 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:48 pm

black duck wrote:Buell 4/3 report -
Had the suit since mid June, fairly light level use, maybe 25 - 30 surfs. The warmth, flexibility and comfort factor is good, however, the tape over the seams is coming apart all over the place. Not sure if i picked up a dud or if it's common to the brand. The good people at Buell assured me it would not be a problem, the suit would perform just as well without the taped seams. This is not true.
WOW Black Duck it's amazing that you have posted this in the last day or 2. I've had my Buell since June and it is in simlar shape if not worse than yours. The suit is increadily comfortable, no rashes at all, very warm super stretchy, drip drys quick and very easy to paddle in but all the internal seams just fell off like the glue had degraded. The knee pads also just peeled off with no damage at all to the Neoprene. If I could post pictures I would. I am a daily surfer so the suit got a good go over winter and as the water and air temp have been substantially lower this year through Autum and Summer it got a good 6 Months use.

Anyway I contacted Buell 2 weeks ago and sent them detailed report on the suit with heaps of pictures. They took 2 weeks to respond but the response was - "Thanks for the report, really sorry to hear that about the Suit. We're sending you a new one." Fantastic result and it must have been a bad batch of glue.

If this suit falls apart over next winter then I'll be going to another Brand. I am dissapointed but very happy with Buell's response and service. Saying that I don't have the new suit yet but I'll post the results here.
“I am getting wealthy in ways that don’t count at the bank”
- Gerry Lopez

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:10 pm

Well done for scoring a new suit BDL, no such offer came my way. Hoping you're right about the dud glue batch (we must've bought about the same time) as the suits are good in other aspects. I like the little magnet thingy on the chest zip.

Still, if it was a dud glue batch you'd think they might fess up and replace mine to keep the customer satisfaction levels. I sent them a bunch of pics as well. No response since the pics. Cunce. There were quite a few guys where i surf down south who were more than keen to go with Buell after i showed them the suit, until all the tape seams started fallin apart. Interest has waned remarkably since then.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

BDL77
regular

Post by BDL77 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:44 pm

Yeah I was the Buell test pilot for all my mates. They not convinced after seeing my seams go. Maybe the next suit will convince, first me that it is a solid suit and then maybe my mates will consider it.

Love the chest zip magnet but wish they did the key pocket similar to the O'Neill. If the seams didn't go it would be the best suit I've had to date.
“I am getting wealthy in ways that don’t count at the bank”
- Gerry Lopez

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:16 pm

At least Billabong let me send mine back reply paid. Bit of an insult that Buell expect you to pay postage for something that is obviously their problem.

moondoggie
regular

Post by moondoggie » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:49 pm

And hand in hand on the edge of the sand
They danced by the light of the moon,
The moon,
The moon,
They danced by the light of the moon.
"I JUST SPENT 6 MONTHS BUYING LEAKY BOATS
2O MILLION BUYING BOATS
GLOBAL WARMINGS CRAP
SO BURNING 'EMS JUST ANOTHER 20 MILLION UP IN SMOKE"
Apologies to Tim Finn

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:48 am

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:55 pm

An update on my Ripcurl E-bomb 3/2 (previous season model).

Its only 7 or 8 months since I've been using it and its already splitting at one of the seams in the shoulder. Not just glue failing, but full holes in the material along the line of the seam for about 1-2 inches. Its past the warranty on seams already (6 months) so I'm not particularly happy at all.

I've been looking after it too, washing it in fresh water after every surf. First at the shower at the beach whenever possible, secondly at home with the garden hose.

The suit is very warm, feels comfy and soft like marshmellows all over, is nice and flexibile, but it hasn't even lasted 7 months without needing a repair already.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:25 pm

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:37 am

Rockin' Ron wrote:ok what's the go with the best key storage options among wetties available in the marketplace today.
RC. Loop inside zippered pocket just blow left knee. I also have a vest. Same thing next ro left side of waist, so that's prob what they'd do in the short legged wetties
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:03 am

Oneill: neoprene pocket on outside of calf with key loop, no zipper.
Only used it once, normally use a Surf Lock.
Was secure and easy to get out, but you wouldn't want a really bulky key in there.

Xcel from 5ish years ago: key pocket no loop between the shoulder blades. Impossible to get out without taking the suit off. Had to put the key in before putting on the suit.

Glamarama
regular

Post by Glamarama » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:29 pm

in my E3 rip curl steamers as described above. pocket with zip and with loop on the lower left leg. very easy to use.
in the spring suit lower leg (just above knee) with loop and zip pocket. also easy

rip curl wetsuit s/l vest no storage pocket about 3 years old. not great but i usually wear some sort of bottoms well. generally not speedo's. boardies usually have the zippered pocket with loop.

xcel long john no storage pocket. hassle.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:35 am

many years ago I found the perfect "where to put the key" solution.
I drive a piece of shit car. Leave the key under the driver's seat.
Yeah, do me a favour, steal it. either way, Problem solved.

btw, that's an excel in the esky. Good value.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:31 am

offshore1 wrote:many years ago I found the perfect "where to put the key" solution.
I drive a piece of shit car. Leave the key under the driver's seat.
Yeah, do me a favour, steal it. either way, Problem solved.

btw, that's an excel in the esky. Good value.
that looks like the same shitbox you showed us years ago!

Nice way to store the wettie, mine just get a bait-bucket thingy

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:35 am

My Oneill springy has got a pocket and my billabong steamer has a loop about shoulderblade height......or is it the other way around :roll:
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:08 pm

:D :D yep, same shitbox. same boards.. bottom one is a 9-0 Walden, on top is a 6-10 Wayne Lynch. I was retro before there was retro.. ))((
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:32 pm

offshore1 wrote::D :D yep, same shitbox. same boards.. bottom one is a 9-0 Walden, on top is a 6-10 Wayne Lynch. I was retro before there was retro.. ))((
Had a couple of those hatchnbacks, a bit older than yours, and 6-10 is my gun!