that wetsuit discussion...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

BDL77
regular

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by BDL77 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:22 am

Okay first report on the Buell 4/3 Full Suit.

Customer service from Buell was really good with Emily answering all my questions really quickly. Once I paid for the suit it arrived in 4 working days, that's really good.

The Buell Website is horrible and doesn't do the product any justice. Plenty of wetsuit companies with the most amazing website and average product, it's actually the opposite with Buell. :)

First thing I noticed is the stitching and seals are amazing quality and it is also sooooo light, it feels like it weighs less than my spring suit. The Seppos use the term "gummy" for this suit and it's really true, it has this really stretching, soft, gummy feel which is really really comfortable. This is the first chest zip suit I've had so it was different technique getting in and out of but not too bad. I have always used plastic bags to get into my suits and it really makes it much easier with a chest zip. Also the magnet clip that clips over the zip works very well and soooo easy to use and strong.

First surf was this morning in Sydney, a nice chilly morning with a brisk offshore blowing so some good testing weather, plus the waves were gooood. Well it is very very warm, toasty and comfy. It fits tight but not that uncomfortable tight, just snug. There is plenty of movement in the shoulder areas so paddling is a breeze and I feel less restricted in this suit that I did in my 3/2 O'Neill. Absolutely no flush when duck diving and I took a few on then head with no flush. I even went over the falls, for the sake of the test :), and I only felt a small flush in the legs but that is probably because I landed that way. Surfed for an hour and a half and still didn't feel the cold, in fact I felt like I could have stayed out for hours and hours. Back in the car park plenty guys looked blue changing and I felt like warm, plus the suit almost felt dry on the inside.

So first impressions are really really good and stoked with it, plus for $340.00 Aussie delivered to my door, that is hard to beat. One thing O'Neill does better is the key pocket. I don't like the tiny zip Buell use with no tie to hold the key should the zip open. I have the same type zip on my O'Neill Springy and it crusted and broke after only one spring/autumn season. The O'Neill Psycho II key pocket is the best I've had in any suit so maybe Buell can do something similar.

All in all, very impressed with the quality build, how warm, stretchy and comfortable it is, almost like I don't feel it. Now time will tell how long it lasts. I'm doing a south coast trip in a few weeks and will be surfing 3 to 4 sessions a day so that will be another good test run.

I would definitely recommend this suit and give it a 95% rating after first use, key pocket is a disappointment but more testing might prove me wrong.

Also thanks to Robzig for answering some of my questions.
“I am getting wealthy in ways that don’t count at the bank”
- Gerry Lopez

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:03 am

^^^
Thanks BDL, sounds like a winner.
How do you find the sizing, is it the same as O'Neil / Ripcurl?
I'm on the cusp between medium and large but given the flex and stretch properties of modern suits, medium seems to be fine, they just don't last as long (slightly overstretched?).

Also going the 4/3. Given the lightness factor it sounds perfect.

Plastic bags to put on a wetsuit?
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

BDL77
regular

Post by BDL77 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:18 am

Yeah pretty stoked with it so far.

black duck wrote:Plastic bags to put on a wetsuit?
When you put a wet wetsuit on or even a dry one for that matter. You know when your heel catches at the bottom of the leg and you have to tug or peel the wettie over your foot?? Well put your foot in a packet, like a packet from Coles or Woolies type packet, and it will just slip right through the suit without catching. Less damage to the suit by tugging and also quicker to put the suit on. You can the the same with your hands. Easy as.
“I am getting wealthy in ways that don’t count at the bank”
- Gerry Lopez

scod
regular
Location: Riding along the border, with a pair of zircon encrusted tweezers in my hand

Post by scod » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:20 am

BDL77 wrote:Yeah pretty stoked with it so far.

black duck wrote:Plastic bags to put on a wetsuit?
When you put a wet wetsuit on or even a dry one for that matter. You know when your heel catches at the bottom of the leg and you have to tug or peel the wettie over your foot?? Well put your foot in a packet, like a packet from Coles or Woolies type packet, and it will just slip right through the suit without catching. Less damage to the suit by tugging and also quicker to put the suit on. You can the the same with your hands. Easy as.
What a bout a couple of frangers ?

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:08 pm

Just ordered a Buell 4/3 ML. $362 delivered. Value.
You're right about the website BDL, it needs work.
Not many colour ways available in ML, thankfully. Decision made easy: plain black.
Will post a report once tested, sans plastic bags.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:09 pm

to all those blokes who recommend chest zips over back zips...
are you taking the piss? :!:

I've been trying on everything going around in the top end suits, and I nearly had to get cut out of a couple. It'd take me half the surf to get in an out of the suit. No wonder they keep you warmer, half your bloody session is spent on land!

I can't for the life of me figure out why it is difficult for me to find a suit that fits, I thought I was pretty average in size and build.
I'm in a medium-tall in pretty much every brand. Towards the upper end in some, smack in the middle in others.
I've gone up and down in size in most brands, except where it was the right size but badly fitting to me.

So far:
Radiator 1.5mm steamer (back zip)- tight across the shoulders and chest, and above the knee.
O'Neill RG8 (chest zip) - I needed help to get out. Couldn't take a full breath.
Billabong SG5 (chest zip) - easier to get on and off, but I don't reckon the designer had ever seen a human before, let alone a surfer. Seams where no sand person would want them, and the gummy stuff on the sealed seams tore at me like it thought I was edible.

Plus a few others I can't remember, either because I couldn't get into them, or they were just plain rubbish.

I've ruled out Xcel and Rip Curl because I've had seam quality issues with both and I don't like the feel of the RC, I reckon they sacrifice too much for flexibility.
Can't seem to get the same sort of discounts for Hurley or Quicksilver.

Finally went back to a back zip, O'neill Psycho 2, and it was like seeing an old flame at a party. Instant rapport, a feeling of warmth...the analogy has run out of steam, but you get the drift.
But I sure as shit aint paying retail, $580 smackers? :shock: They offered me 20% off straight up, but I think they knew they were out of luck...
Going to search out some coupons and order from OS.

Why, fellas?
Unless you are living somewhere super cold, I can't see how the tradeoff is worth it.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:15 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:19 pm

So, it's the flexibility of the shoulders that is the issue?
Not the warmth?

Have to say, if I can't fit my shoulders into the thing, it's kind of a moot point.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:25 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:29 pm

alright, maybe i'll take another look at some other models.
It's surely not an enjoyable way to spend your downtime.

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:10 pm

I've got a psycho2 3/2 as well alakaboo, back zip and is heaps heaps warmer than my quiksilver 3/2. Such a good wetsuit.

Oh and you do get used to the chestzip. I had to get helped out of the first chest zip steamer I tried on a few years ago because I put in on backwards :oops: :oops:

Moore
regular

Post by Moore » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:37 pm

Backzips all the way in the winter - chestzips just take too long to get off and with minus air temps here in the winter, getting changed is something you don't want to drag out longer than needed.

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:07 pm

Hey Moore, how far north are ya?

Moore
regular

Post by Moore » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:58 am

Devon, England.

Surprisingly, it's not the water that is the killer in winter (although it does go down to about 9deg), but more the windchill. Smooth chest panels are good.

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:16 am

My Quik steamer is a chest zip and I can get into it quicker than my other wetties. Just took heaps of practice. No stuffing about with batwings etc.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:19 am

I've had my ebomb pro 3/2 for a while now and here is my opinion.

It's so comfy and soft it feels like I'm wearing marshmallows all over, so soft and stretchy. I'm not as impressed with the construction/build as oniel and I fear it won't last five seasons like my previous oniel.

It's easily the warmest suit I've ever had. Before sydneys water temps dropped to 19 I was cooking even on the coldest southerly winds. I was holding my feet out of the water in the wind to cool off. Now it's perfect, not hot or cold even on cold windy days.

It's so well sealed with the chest zip that I dread pissing in it, it makes me too hot and it feels like it takes yonks to flush away. A wave over the head barely puts any water into the suit.

All in all I'm happy with it seeing as it was discounted $ 200 but it's almost overkill for Sydney. It will force me to buy an autumn/spring suit so I dont cook. I've never had that problem before.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:23 am

I'm not sure how different chest zips can get but my ebomb is pretty easy and quick to get into. Barely much difference in time to back zip
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Haz
barnacle

Post by Haz » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:47 am

The chest zips are fine, you big girls.

If you want your wetsuit to last, reconsider getting a Ripcurl. After a year and a half of owning a 3/2 and 4/3 ebomb, they both have giant tears in the arms and legs. Been sent to repair twice each, but the same thing kept on happening. Delaying the inevitable I guess.

If I didn't get ridiculously good discounts for them I would have changed brands a loooooong time ago. Good wetsuits, shit durability.