that wetsuit discussion...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by ajohnsen » Fri May 27, 2011 3:29 pm

Legion wrote:The Pro has less or no seam sealing tape or something like that, for lighter weight and more flex at a cost of reduced durability. Really, neither suit is going to last for long anyway so it might disintegrate in 12 months instead of 14 months like the non-pro model. :roll:

Thanks, Legion.

My current E-Bomb has lasted about five seasons, but I'm not too fussy about wear and tear. That said, it's getting a little thin and this ain't a good time of year for that.

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:51 am

oldman wrote:
I've gone the Buell wetsuit steamer as well. Will let you know how it goes.
Hey Olds, had a chance to wet the Buell yet?
Considering one myself, subject to a first hand report.
Assume you went for a 3/2?
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:30 pm

black duck wrote:Hey Olds, had a chance to wet the Buell yet?
Considering one myself, subject to a first hand report.
Assume you went for a 3/2?
Yep, went with the 3/2, although I have to admit I was looking at the 4/3 as well. If they are as flexible as I think they are, the 4/3 will still feel better on me than my current 2, which are about 3 to 4 years old.

Couldn't justify it though. Will see how warm the 3/2 is, and if I'm going out enough to warrant a 4/3 as well.

Australia Post got it on Wednesday 25th May or thereabouts. Apparently they aren't interested much in forwarding items to customers.

I'll wait until I have a day to spare so I can ring them and find out where the fcuk it is.

And then I'll let you know.

Why does nothing happen without chasing it from pillar to freaking post?
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

BDL77
regular

Post by BDL77 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:29 pm

I just bought the Buell 4/3 full suit so I'll give some feedback too, still in transit. I currently have a 3 year old 3/2 O'Neill Physco II that is leaky and cold and seams shot. I'm a daily surfer and I do take care of my suits so it'll be an interesting comparison.

If it lives up to it's reputation then I'll be stoked.
“I am getting wealthy in ways that don’t count at the bank”
- Gerry Lopez

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:18 pm

BDL77 wrote:I just bought the Buell 4/3 full suit so I'll give some feedback too, still in transit. I currently have a 3 year old 3/2 O'Neill Physco II that is leaky and cold and seams shot. I'm a daily surfer and I do take care of my suits so it'll be an interesting comparison.

If it lives up to it's reputation then I'll be stoked.
Keen to hear the comparison BDL.
A couple of south coast mates use 4/3's and, I must admit, it shi.ts me off when they're in the surf scopping water into their wetties to cool off while my figs feel like frozen peas in a worn out 3/2 e-bomb. A 4/3 is mighty tempting, so long as you don't feel like the Michelin man.
smnmntll wrote:

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:26 pm

When I leave the frigid waters of bass straight and head north for warmer waters I notice the difference in what the extra rubber does to your surfing.

And I can honestly say...

fark all.

I actually reckon that my paddling into waves suffers (or feels like it suffers) from not having 3mm of neoprene on my arms.

Maybe it's all in my imagination...

Beaver
regular

Post by Beaver » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:56 pm

ajohnsen wrote:
Beaver wrote: Pretty good. But not that good considering you could buy this years Ebomb (the model up), for $300 bucks from the states incl shipping.
Hey Beaver, where'd you find it for that? I've found it for $299 + $50 shipping at http://www.cleanlinesurf.com

I thought I'd ask SurfStitch why there's a $274 dollar difference between Australian prices and US prices. Here's their answer:

The US market caters for 300 million people instead of the 23 million people in Australia. The brands adjust their retail prices for each market, so unfortunately Rip Curl sells that suit for $574.95 in Australia.

274 bucks is quite an adjustment.

Does anyone know if the sizing is the same bewteen Aus and US? I take a small in Rip Curl and can't see any reason why the sizing would be different.
Hey mate, that price was for the ebomb pro. $269.95 on cleanline. Plus 50 postage and adjusted the currency.

Ps. thanks for the heads up on the difference between the Pro and normal model. I emailed cleanline surf and didnt get an answer. Yeh the mark up is outrageous. It doesnt just apply to wetsuits. Oh well at least we have the interwebs!

Balts

Post by Balts » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:20 pm

I have an XCEL 4/3 Infiniti Drylock.

Best wetsuit I have ever had. I don't have much meat on my bones and I stay warm and toasty!!

If you are after quality, go the XCEL

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:30 pm

This question is for Robzig...I unashamedly piss in my wetsuit. I like to be hydrated before I surf so usually have a couple of glasses water before I surf..you sweat in the water believe it or not... and when you are out there for 3+ hours... you have to piss. I use F and E bombs..3/2 's and love them. But...after stewing in my own piss for a 3 + hours they do wiff a bit when I pull them off. My suits are so tight that they only let minimal water in and dont flush out easy.

Yes, they go straight home into the tubs with fresh water where I let them soak for an our or so then hang them inside out , outside.. And I have been using Piss Off from Ripcurl to help kill the smell, but at $10 a bottle I am going through a bit. What else can I use without rooting the wetsuit?

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:51 am

I hate 4/3's because I can't wear them in the summer. A guy I know equated them to feeling car sick as you heat up too much

3/2 with a hot skin for the winter months (boots and a hood when it gets really cold) and you're laughing
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:09 am

bohdidontsurf wrote:Yes, they go straight home into the tubs with fresh water where I let them soak for an our or so then hang them inside out , outside.. And I have been using Piss Off from Ripcurl to help kill the smell, but at $10 a bottle I am going through a bit. What else can I use without rooting the wetsuit?
put them in a warm tub of water with bicarb, then rinse in cold and hang to dry.
half a cap of dettol in a big container works too.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:39 am

bohdidontsurf wrote:This question is for Robzig...I unashamedly piss in my wetsuit.
Good man, there is no reason for shame in this.
bohdidontsurf wrote:. And I have been using Piss Off from Ripcurl to help kill the smell, but at $10 a bottle I am going through a bit. What else can I use without rooting the wetsuit?
Now you're taking the piss, surely.

Does RC really sell a bottle of stuff called 'Piss Off'.

If you're not taking the piss, surely RC is.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:36 pm

I kid you not. When I ran Ripcurl due a smelly wetsuit I asked what I could do about it. They cheerfully told me that they sell a product called Piss off. I asked the same.."your taking the piss out of me right?? pun intended" to which the young girl said firmly NO... that is what it is called. I went to my local surf shop thinking this was a gee up and there it was in the glass counter. I bought a bottle and then quietly...while looking around...asked if I could have it in a brown paper bag. Kind of like buying a Penthouse when I was 16 at the local newsagent. Trust me it exists !! and works..but is $11 per bottle and I use one every 2 weeks.

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm

bohdidontsurf wrote:I kid you not. When I ran Ripcurl due a smelly wetsuit I asked what I could do about it. They cheerfully told me that they sell a product called Piss off. I asked the same.."your taking the piss out of me right?? pun intended" to which the young girl said firmly NO... that is what it is called. I went to my local surf shop thinking this was a gee up and there it was in the glass counter. I bought a bottle and then quietly...while looking around...asked if I could have it in a brown paper bag. Kind of like buying a Penthouse when I was 16 at the local newsagent. Trust me it exists !! and works..but is $11 per bottle and I use one every 2 weeks.
You've got to cut back on the asparagus.
smnmntll wrote:

Moore
regular

Post by Moore » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:52 pm

^^ :lol: classic!

I think you can get away with using some anit-bac washing up liquid then rinsing with fresh water.

Also, I just picked up a 100% Yamamoto 2009 model Nineplus 3/2mm fullsuit for £82 from their 'archive' online shop. I think it will probably be too warm for mid-summer here in Blighty, but should be good for the next month or so and later in the year into early winter. Think they had issues with their early suits, but were on track from 09 onwards. Simple design, but super flexy, it appears. Will post up a report, but we are having the flat spell from hell here at the moment :evil:

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:50 am

Hey Olds, you get your wettie yet?

Also, did you order yours online, or did you have to preorder and, if so, did you call or email?

I got a pretty swift response initially from Buell when I had a couple of questions, but am now having trouble getting them to respond to a preorder request.

AJ

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:38 am

How's this for ebay wettie-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/160559216667?afsrc=1

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:45 am

Have your worn that 9 plus yet moore? How is it?
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.