that wetsuit discussion...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by oldman » Sun May 15, 2011 4:18 pm

scod wrote:Ok, let the hijacking commence.

1. Lower local sales and lower margins will mean less jobs. The retail sector is the largest employer of ppl at about 1.5million bods. If the sector has less jobs and another sector doesn't replace them
Fair comment, but it seems certain that retail is going to have to undergo the changes that just about all other sectors have undergone and deal with it.

Invariably new jobs will replace them, but knowing where or whether they cover the job losses is another story.
scod wrote:2. A lot of super funds use the property sector as a core asset class coz its value doesnt shift dramatically like shares............. the market views property as being almost risk free, with a slow but steady growth rate, this asset class is used as a base.
That is as scary as all hell. If the so-called professional investor class consider property as virtually risk-free then they have been on another planet for the last 30 years. Commercial property particularly, but all but residential has been up and down with a cycle as bad as any other asset class, and USA style residential property prices dropping here is a real, though less likely proposition.

Westfields shares are based on internationally very expensive rents/returns which are almost certainly unsustainable given the threat faced by the internet. If I were an investor I would be getting out of Westfields and other australian commercial/retail property classes a s a p.

It is hardly the duty of all Australians to continue to be ripped off by retail outlets to sustain something that is going the way of the dodo, but I accept what you are saying scod.
alakaboo wrote:Any reviews from people with figs?
Would love to help there alakaboo, butI've never bought a figless wetsuit before. :mrgreen:

P.S. If you are looking at ordering a Buell Wetsuit, don't do it through the website for the time being, there is a bug in their website.

Contact them by email and/or try to phone them, some 17 hours behind us.

Have had quick email responses to problems with an order through their website, but no resolution yet. Will keep informed.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun May 15, 2011 4:29 pm

getting my son a suit from Fox SurfSuits, I have had a few and have been very happy. The suit I got was a no frills 2 x 2 and great for me in the waters in Yamba where I did live and now up here on the Sunny Coast. Price, service and quality are all good, worth a look guys if ya looking at a new suit...
my sons suit is total custom as he doesnt fit into a standard size 12 boys wetty, so we have measured him up and it'll be here in 1 week...in all the colours he asked for.... 8)

Buellco

Post by Buellco » Wed May 18, 2011 4:40 am

Greetings Folks,
I'd first like to thank you guys for the interest and support you've been showing in the forum for Buell Wetsuits. I'd also like to quickly post here to advise any new customers in Australia to order via the phone for the time being. We seem to have an issue with Australian CC orders via the webstore, but we hope to have it fixed soon. In the meantime please use the contact info listed below.
Very sorry for the inconvenience for those of you who already ordered, but we sure are STOKED to see such interest in Australia!

Our office number is (831) 600-8063 and we're open 9-5 pst Tues-Saturday, or you can email [email protected]

Best regards,

Colin

http://www.buellwetsuits.com

'llo-and Behold
regular

Post by 'llo-and Behold » Thu May 19, 2011 1:28 pm

That's all fine and dandy Colin, but who's gonna step up and do some lasting gloves?

Hano
Local

Post by Hano » Thu May 19, 2011 5:02 pm

Morgan The Moon wrote:
Went for O'Neill Superfreak,it gets delivered for $150.
that's excellent value for what appears to be a quality suit. i need to replace my ebomb and think i might give the superfreak a go.
how's your suit Morgan?

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Thu May 19, 2011 8:57 pm

Buellco wrote:Greetings Folks,
I'd first like to thank you guys for the interest and support you've been showing in the forum for Buell Wetsuits. I'd also like to quickly post here to advise any new customers in Australia to order via the phone for the time being. We seem to have an issue with Australian CC orders via the webstore, but we hope to have it fixed soon. In the meantime please use the contact info listed below.
Very sorry for the inconvenience for those of you who already ordered, but we sure are STOKED to see such interest in Australia!

Our office number is (831) 600-8063 and we're open 9-5 pst Tues-Saturday, or you can email [email protected]

Best regards,

Colin

What a thoroughly nice chap!

SPsurf

Post by SPsurf » Fri May 20, 2011 10:24 am

HI thought i'd throw in my 2 cents as i have just been looking for a new suit and I just bought a Peak 3 x 2 Climax X Sealed suit. It is 100% stretch sealed seams, back zip. etc
It Is warm as, it replaced a ripcurl, i looked at all the big brands and chose the peak cause the fit was the best and i'll be honest the cost was a lot less then suits with similar features. good suit if your looking to save some coin and stay warm.

As for Scod comment on property... Are you joking...
Property is not risk free mate, ask the US economy what started the GFC, i'll think you'll find it was a correction in the residental property market which then flowed into the commercial space (which super funds hold). Property is just as risky as putting your coin in the sharemarket.. The only risk free investment is gold.. & as a risk free asset your super fund uses, cash, held by the RBA. as close to risk free as possible.

the hulkster
Grommet

Post by the hulkster » Fri May 20, 2011 11:58 am

Picked myself up last years model O'Neill Pshyco 2 4/3 for $380. Ripper of a suit. Very comfy doesn't let water in except a few drops when you get smashed rapt with it.

GeeMan

Post by GeeMan » Sat May 21, 2011 12:56 pm

Well guys, for what it's worth, thought I'd share my feedback as I am also looking for a new steamer. Since I was a kid I have been through all brands, Piping Hot, Ocean 1 (remember them?) O'Neill, Rip Curl, Peak, West Suits etc. The one I keep coming back to is Rip Curl for the fit.
Anyway, was looking on line and found they have a factory outlet @ Birkenhead, Sydney so I went in and am going for a Core model, 3/2 combo, sealed seams, back zip (with batwing). But how's this, the guy told me to come back next week (Thu/Fri) when it will only be about $160!! I hate buying on line, just don't trust it, so am stoked with this place. They have other R/C wetties there too (E-bomb, but I prefer back zip), and will prob grab some booties also.

Buellco

Post by Buellco » Thu May 26, 2011 2:25 pm

Our Buell Wetsuits Webstore has been fixed for Aussie customers now, sorry for the inconvenience folks!
Animal_Chin wrote:
Buellco wrote:Greetings Folks,

Best regards,

Colin

What a thoroughly nice chap!

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Thu May 26, 2011 5:35 pm

GeeMan wrote:Well guys, for what it's worth, thought I'd share my feedback as I am also looking for a new steamer. Since I was a kid I have been through all brands, Piping Hot, Ocean 1 (remember them?) O'Neill, Rip Curl, Peak, West Suits etc. The one I keep coming back to is Rip Curl for the fit.
Anyway, was looking on line and found they have a factory outlet @ Birkenhead, Sydney so I went in and am going for a Core model, 3/2 combo, sealed seams, back zip (with batwing). But how's this, the guy told me to come back next week (Thu/Fri) when it will only be about $160!! I hate buying on line, just don't trust it, so am stoked with this place. They have other R/C wetties there too (E-bomb, but I prefer back zip), and will prob grab some booties also.
Make sure you check the warranty. My dad got burned with a dodge suit from birko with short warranty.

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Fri May 27, 2011 1:16 pm

Beaver wrote: Pretty good. But not that good considering you could buy this years Ebomb (the model up), for $300 bucks from the states incl shipping.
Hey Beaver, where'd you find it for that? I've found it for $299 + $50 shipping at www.cleanlinesurf.com

I thought I'd ask SurfStitch why there's a $274 dollar difference between Australian prices and US prices. Here's their answer:

The US market caters for 300 million people instead of the 23 million people in Australia. The brands adjust their retail prices for each market, so unfortunately Rip Curl sells that suit for $574.95 in Australia.

274 bucks is quite an adjustment.

Does anyone know if the sizing is the same bewteen Aus and US? I take a small in Rip Curl and can't see any reason why the sizing would be different.

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Fri May 27, 2011 1:32 pm

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri May 27, 2011 1:40 pm

Retailers in Aus are going to find out the hard way that we're sick and tired of getting bent over and dry screwed for bullshitt reasons.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Fri May 27, 2011 2:00 pm

robzig wrote: No difference...........same factory. And yes Australians have been ripped off for years in retail textiles. There is no way the manufacturers can justify the price difference.
Robzig - Do you know what it actually costs to make a 3/2 top of the line steamer? Just production costs: not incl transport, distribution, marketing and other middle man costs.

My guess would be about $140 Oz? Anywhere near the mark?
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Fri May 27, 2011 2:34 pm

You know, I'm not sure that the response from SurfStitch stands up to closer scrutiny. If it were a product that was made specifically for the Australian market, or it was a model that had to be tinkered with for us, I could understand that argument. But, let me be presumptuous, these wetsuits are made in the same factory in Asia somewhere. They are transported to both Australia and the US (and elsewhere, of course) and I'd imagine that the advertising and marketing budget would reflect the size of the territory. So, the cost to manufacture a unit would be uniform, wouldn't it? And the differential would lie in other costs which would be proportional to the territory.

So, how the pharck can they justify a 91% price adjustment? Rhetorical question.

That's taking the p1ss, that is.
Last edited by ajohnsen on Fri May 27, 2011 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Fri May 27, 2011 3:15 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:Purchased a 3/2 E3 E-bomb Pro Model. Its a great suit so far, so soft and stretchy it feels like wearing marshmellow all over.

Super warm for Sydney's current conditions with warm water and cold air temps. I was surfing in a strong cold southerly wind last week and was so warm I had to keep my feet out of the water and in the wind to cool down. I kept having to take big scoops of water into the suit too.

I can imagine it'll be perfect when winter water temps arrive :)
Hey Captain, what's the difference between the Pro and the non-Por E-Bomb? Seems to be the same price. It's not evident on the site.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri May 27, 2011 3:20 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.