When you get back from an O/S surf trip....

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

onawave
regular

When you get back from an O/S surf trip....

Post by onawave » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:34 am

Gents,

A few weeks ago, I got back from quite an epic trip to the Ments. Awesome group of surfers, awesome crew taking us around....

However a few things once Ive gotten back:

1. Ive been very lack lustre back in the Sydney surf. Ive been trying to do the early morning dawn raids to get some good uncrowded stuff, but its been a bit hit and miss.

2. Getting back just made me realise how bad the crowds can get on weekends in Sydney. Yesterday was insane in manly.

3. The wanting to get out for a surf, but i find once im out, and trying to deal with the crowds and short rides puts me off the whole thing really quickly and i just loose the stoke.

Im figuring i need to get away from Sydney to get back into the vibe, but man - does anyone suffer from the same kind of "come down" when they get back? its driving my nuts....

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Re: When you get back from an O/S surf trip....

Post by oldman » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:44 am

Yes, pretty much everyone suffers from this problem onawave.

After a while you start to realise that surfing in Sydney, particularly on weekends, can be a cruel and unusual punishment, and your stoke dies.

Make other plans.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

FishStick
Local

Post by FishStick » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:57 am

I used to go out in all sorts of junk before I started going overseas, now I'm a swell snob and find it hard to go out if it isn't good enough.

Got dragged over to Manly by a mate yesterday too and it was nuts. I don't surf there unless it's big because it's just a farkin zoo. Every wave 3 guys on it.
The wave at Curl Curl is so good they had to name it twice :mrgreen:

ppaattoo

Post by ppaattoo » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:15 am

The exact same thing happened to me when i got back from the ments last year...

no desire to surf in sydney, and when i did go i got very little enjoyment.

and i became a wave snob too. the first "good" waves i got after getting back last august was easter this year.

...it was worth it tho 8)

onawave
regular

Post by onawave » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:23 am

funny thing was before i left, i was handling all of this just fine....

i was having good surfs, in crowded conditions and coming back in stoked.... (so to speak)

but y/day was seriously bad. i keep telling myself, its awesome to be living close to the water, and to be able surf almost when ever i like....

but it came to a head y/day when i grabbed a wave and some brazzo kook dropped in on me, i pushed him off his board, and then he proceeded to tell me off...

seriously wtf....

im sure i will have a surf will which will make everything ok again, but man since ive been back its suked....

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:34 am

If you're surfing Manly on a weekend whaddaya expect? It's bad enough at any given time but on return from the Ments? That's GOT to be fcuked. My enthusiasm wanes on a regular basis because of the clueless crowds there (I generally won't go near the joint on a weekend except maybe for the early), but you can find uncrowded (or more like much less crowded) waves if you look & time your sessions right.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:54 am

onawave wrote:im sure i will have a surf will which will make everything ok again, but man since ive been back its suked....
They will be fewer and farther between onawave. :mrgreen:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

onawave
regular

Post by onawave » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:13 pm

They will be fewer and farther between onawave. :mrgreen:
thanks for the heads up oldy ;)

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:29 pm

onawave wrote:thanks for the heads up oldy ;)
Yeah sorry about all that. In truth, I came to the same conclusion without the benefit of going to the Mentawais first. :?