Pricing Promo Surfboards

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Aclunker

Pricing Promo Surfboards

Post by Aclunker » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:00 pm

Hey,
I'm new to the culture of surfing. I acquired a surfboard upon arriving in Australia. The board was a promotional board for the release of Bondi Blonde beer. The guy before me won it in a raffle at the release party. I attached some pictures of the board. It has one ding in the side from transporting on a roof rack. It has only been surfed a few times. The dimensions are 6'10" x 20 1/6" x 2 5/8". I put some FCS glass fins and creatures leg rope on it.
Anyway, I'm wondering how does one determine the price of a limited edition/rare/one-of-a-kind surfboard? I presume it's what someone is willing to pay for it. However, I don't know where to set the price at. For such surfboards is ebay the best option??? However, I would like to sell it locally in the Sydney area for convenience.

Anyway, I would like this forum topic to be a discussion of what the surf community thinks the price of limited ed./promo surfboards should be? Also, some advice on the price of my board would be helpful.

Personally, I was told before the board was ever surfed that it was one-of-a-kind, would be a collectors item someday and not to surf the board at all. However, although it may be a collector's item to some, it was my only surfboard. So I rode it and don't regret it.
Last edited by Aclunker on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

pridmore
Owl status

Re: Pricing rare, one-of-a-kind Surfboards

Post by pridmore » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:13 pm

I get the odd promoard to sell in my shop and they are the hardest to sell in my experience, maybe if ya had a pic of Paris and it was signed by her you'd have a winner...good luck with it, I'd be trying e-bay or the backpacker scene and if you get $300, I would take it....

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:15 pm

I don't know if you're bullshitting here but will proceed as if not.

"Collector" boards are usually valued for one or more of a few reasons: they're excellent examples of a fine craftsman's work from some time in the past; they have a serious surfing history (ie ridden by a champion surfer to fame and fortune etc); they're almost impossibly old yet in flawless condition.

That board you've ridden may actually be worth less than a normal board of its type, simply because nobody wants "Bondi Blonde" on their board. Indeed such "promo" boards are renowned for their unsellability. They fit none of the above "collectible" criteria, and are never designed for any level of performance.

If I were you I would continue to practice on it until you have gained some consistency, ie you're able to paddle out without getting in the way, catch a series of waves during any particular surf session, begin to ride backhand, etc. By this time you will have realised that the board is a piece of shit and you will want to buy a better one. At this point, donate the Bondi Blonde to another beginner. Best of luck!

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:06 pm

Here's one in an op-shop, sure to fetch something
Attachments
14052010-1.jpg

Aclunker

Post by Aclunker » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:06 am

Thanks for your responses. You make a valid point Nick Carroll about collector's surfboards. I agree that my board is not a collector's item yet. However, when bondi blonde is discontinued, there might be a following to collect bondi blonde paraphernalia. Nevertheless, I'm flying back overseas and it's a couple hundred dollars to take the board with me, so I'm selling it on gumtree.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:36 am

Fcuk! I shoulda known. god damn trolls.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:06 am

the sooner bondi blonde and promo surfboards are scourged from society the better.

waste of my life

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:36 am

"Bondi Blonde"?
Isn't that Buff Brad's transvestite stage name?
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:38 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Fcuk! I shoulda known. god damn trolls.
the name was a bit of a giveaway,you're just too giving of yourself!

Aclunker, there's a reason why some things are rare. doesn't make them precious.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:49 pm

offshore1 wrote:"Bondi Blonde"?
Isn't that Buff Brad's transvestite stage name?
Yeah...before he became a Dad.

Gonna have to forget those Young Liberal (Wentworth chapter) fundraisers now isn't he. No more feather boas and cheap mascara ...now it's all 2am nappy changes and trying to get her name down for St Catherine's.

Aclunker, what's a couple of hundy excess baggage? Take it back to Denmark, they might think it's actually worth something back there. And what kind of shit airline are you flying anyway? Oh hang on, wait, you're a troll.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Re: Pricing Promo Surfboards

Post by Beanpole » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:31 pm

Surely John Singleton would bid for it.
Wouldn't it be great to have a complete quiver of promo boards?
"I think I'll take out the Malibu Cocktail Mix mini mal today for the tricky dogleg to the right."
"Or perhaps the Bundy and Coke funboard."
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

SDC
regular

Post by SDC » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:02 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:and are never designed for any level of performance.
From what I recall of this one, the original one was shaped by a very reputable (large Surf Company) Northern Beaches shaper.

The shortboard Promotional Surfboards we produce are performance shapes, and the Mini-Mals are modern shapes, but not sure if they are classified as performance shapes.

dy_fo_life
regular

Re: Pricing Promo Surfboards

Post by dy_fo_life » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:51 pm

change the logo to read "bondi blo in " or "bindi blo me" and you will get a higher price.