larger surf lock

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

sickpig

larger surf lock

Post by sickpig » Tue May 25, 2010 9:53 am

Hi All

I've happily used the surflock for years - great product, however, i have recently changed cars and my new key does not fit in to the surf lock as it is too big.

Does anyone know of any alternative products that will fit larger keys.

I don't want to go back to hiding my keys :)

Thanks

JC :D

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: larger surf lock

Post by Trev » Tue May 25, 2010 10:13 am

Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

sunrisesurfer

Post by sunrisesurfer » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:47 pm

Hey JC

Can you get your car keys cut at a locksmith. So you have a smaller key plus a extra key if you lose your 1st set of car keys.

Surf On....
Sunny :D

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:57 pm

I've never liked surf locks. They are so conspicuous it's almost as it they are taunting people to try and get the key out.
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:31 pm

TMC wrote:I've never liked surf locks. They are so conspicuous it's almost as it they are taunting people to try and get the key out.
All depends where you lock them too. I lock mine to the suspension so you can't actually see it unless you get under the car/wheel arch.

bgreen
Grommet

Post by bgreen » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:04 pm

After having my car stolen (forget the magnetic keybox you put under the car) - the spotter on the hill took care of that, I use a surf lock. Usually, the surf lock containing the real key is locked inside the car, and the dummy key is worn on a lanyard out in the surf.

Traveling, I take the SL OS though sometimes on plastic cars it is hard to find somewhere solid.

As others have said - going in from the surf in the dark can cause real problems seeing the numbers. Even poor light and fading eyesight makes it hard. Locking it in some nifty location to realize you can't see the digits - another potential hazard.

I'm not sure what attitude insurance companies would take to your key being securely stashed in the car. If the bastards can find a loophole (the key was left in the car after all) - they will try to wriggle out of it. Fortunately my car was found by a friend - I don't have a lot of confidence the RACQ was going to come to the party. I should add, that the magnetic keybox contained a dummy key - the real key was, I thought, well hidden in the car.

Tinted glass makes it harder to see inside and offers some protection if your window is smashed.

Bob

'llo-and Behold
regular

Post by 'llo-and Behold » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:55 pm

just buy a shoe lace and tie around your neck with the key 0n it. Make a show of putting it in your wetty/rashy.

sickpig

Post by sickpig » Fri May 27, 2011 8:52 pm

Eventually found a locksmith, in Sydney, who could cut a 'key only' key for the Subaru (2007) Believe me it took about 50 locksmith visits before one said yes, they could cut me a key!

Happily using the standard size surf lock, again.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sat May 28, 2011 7:34 am

Mods please lock this thread!
:lol:
Only a rat can win the rat race.

sickpig

Post by sickpig » Sun May 29, 2011 9:09 am

why lock this? if anyone in the Sydney area is looking for a lock smith to cut a spare non coded key, and they have as much difficulty as i did finding one - then this thread would be very helpful :cry:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun May 29, 2011 1:12 pm

sickpig wrote:why lock this? if anyone in the Sydney area is looking for a lock smith to cut a spare non coded key, and they have as much difficulty as i did finding one - then this thread would be very helpful :cry:
I think cuttlefish's post was a play on the word "lock".
At least I saw it that way and I'm not gonna "lock" the thread. :wink: 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon May 30, 2011 5:41 am

That's why Trev's the mod!
Very astute! :D
I've spent a lot of time on "Swaylocks" where the lock has been used prodiguously over the years.
Funny that....American forums are usually the fastest to enforce censorship even though they bang on about "freedom of speech" as part of their "god given" political rights as a nation.
Oh oh...I better not hijack this thread and turn into a brawl or it will get "locked". :lol:
FWIW I've been using a Surf lock for a few years now.
I hang it off the towing loop under the front guard of my Camry and all is safe and sound.
Really don't think anyone would bother trying to crack it as there are always much easier pickings around with people hiding their keys under wheel arches.
Doh! :roll:
Only a rat can win the rat race.