South of Sydney 15 May

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

South of Sydney 15 May

Post by alakaboo » Mon May 17, 2010 9:56 am

checked quite a few spots early on Saturday. a lot weren't really working because of the angle, some were maxed out.
gflmp.jpg
this spot had the best shape, but no takers.
looked fantastic at first light, but would probably have required a serious board or tow-assist. i would have called it 8ft+ on iggy's scale, and it was perfectly round. actually reeled off quite slowly after the takeoff. if there was ever an argument for tow-ins and water photography, this was it.
makeable.jpg
apparently Mick Lowe paddled out while we were surfing somewhere a bit more protected, and came in because it was too heavy :shock: (not sure if that was true, or just a yarn we were spun by a local on the hill)

these shots were taken 3.5 hours later when it was looking a lot more manageable, but wasn't breaking as well.
capping.jpg
there were a couple of 15 yr old boogers standing on the top of the cliff trying to decide whether to paddle out, which led to me hearing the following exchange:
"come on, i'll go out and you can film from here"
"are you f#@^ing mental?!! you're not going out there! mick lowe came in because it was too heavy! he's made of bulldozers and testicles, and you reckon you can handle it? you don't even shave!" :lol: :lol:

needless to say, he got back on his bmx and headed off to calmer pastures.

Beerfan

Re: South of Sydney 15 May

Post by Beerfan » Wed May 19, 2010 9:33 am

Mick lowe came back in? I saw a pic of him going over a stepped ledge on some big, cold, messy tasmanian wave in a mag. Nearly poo'd my pants looking at the pic!!. Musta been heavy haha

NJ

Post by NJ » Wed May 19, 2010 1:38 pm

I've seen mick surf that break bigger than that and charge... but considering two rights further down the coast a little way were firing, i reckon he would have went out there

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed May 19, 2010 1:43 pm

yeah, i said above i didn't think it was true...i've seen some of those pics too.

think the old fella who told us that was just trying to give the groms a chance to back out without losing face. kind old bugger.

if you feel like it, send me a pm with those other spots and we can compare notes.... i'm still trying to build up some knowledge of which spots work best under which conditions...
we checked about 6 spots nearby. some were a bit of a let down, some were :shock:

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Thu May 20, 2010 9:01 am

NJ wrote:I've seen mick surf that break bigger than that and charge...
same here
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

NJ

Post by NJ » Thu May 20, 2010 1:55 pm

If you check coastalwatch theres a rather juicy pic of a right not far down the road which was the pick on the weekend.... seen some footage of some mates absolutely tearing it apart

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu May 20, 2010 3:57 pm

must have improved as the tide came in, at first light that spot was a bit sketchy with about 5-10 on it already. the spot where i took the pics definitely looked nicer (at the times we checked), but would have required serious figs, or horsepower

The larger ones out the back of the CW spot were huge!

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri May 21, 2010 9:37 am

god damn it mkm, your new identity has posted on every thread at once!

I know the surf isn't v good on the sunny coast at present but whew.